Tether Turns One Year Old!

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well if you came for the BB world to Android. You may know this program. Tether has turned one year old today and with that has released it's first Android beta.With the speeds being reported here. I am sure you guys will want to take a look at this one for yourself!

tether1.jpg

Here's the official notes I recieved about 10 minutes ago.

Tonight we are excited to launch our first Android Beta, just intime for our 1 year birthday. If you haven't heard today marks our first year in business and to celebrate we're giving away six smartphones. You can read more about that here: Tether Turns One Year Old! | Tether
It's been a long wait, but this Android tethering solution is unbelievable. Our lead engineer on this project has seen speeds up to 6.8 Mbps. That's almost 3x faster then our BlackBerry version.
The download instructions are found below. It's very important to follow the instructions carefully. Please remember, this is our first beta so it's not perfect. If you have problems let us know.
1. On phone go to Settings->Applications->Development and check USB debugging.
2. Connect phone to PC with USB cable.
3. If you have a Samsung Android you need to download and install Samsung USB drivers from:
http://www.tether.com/a/MCCI_WHQL_USB_Modem_Driver_4.40.7.exe (You may need to reboot)
4. If you already have Tether/TetherBerry installed on your machine uninstall it.
5. Download and install Tether from: http://www.tether.com/a/setup.exe
(If asked to reboot, wait until the installer is fully finished)
6. Disable your wireless adapter through the control panel network connections panel (ncpa.cpl in Windows Vista or Windows 7)
7. Start Tether on the PC and select Android USB for the connection method.
8. Start Tether on the Android.
Once connected your PC should be able to browse the internet.
If at any point you need to install Tether on the Android again, there is a shortcut in the start menu portion of the Tether group which allows you to do this.
Thanks,

Thanks to gixxerjoe for the excellent tip!

Last edited by a moderator:

cklepinger

Reaction score
I prefer my rooted wireless tether option...

much more user friendly...

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Always used PDANet but this is good news. Going to give it a try to check speed differences.

sc4fpse

Reaction score
Wireless tether for the win, but 6.8 Mbps? Good Lord. o_O

ptfd13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Ok since the other thread was closed I will repost here. I have it installed on my PC but how do I get this on my Droid. I already have an account with Tether but cannot figure out how to download to my phone.

ptfd13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Ok since the other thread was closed I will repost here. I have it installed on my PC but how do I get this on my Droid. I already have an account with Tether but cannot figure out how to download to my phone.

Found it. It is in the tether program installed on the pc. Click start then go to the tether folder.

Reaction score
I still can't figure out how to get Tether onto my Droid. Instructions say to start it on the handset but I need to know how to get it there.

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I still can't figure out how to get Tether onto my Droid. Instructions say to start it on the handset but I need to know how to get it there.

As stated above

On computer
Start, All programs, folder named tether, install tether on Android

On droid open the app drawer and there should be an app called tether now. Use USB Android on the computer and open the app on your phone.

Reaction score

As stated above

On computer
Start, All programs, folder named tether, install tether on Android

On droid open the app drawer and there should be an app called tether now. Use USB Android on the computer and open the app on your phone.

I have my Droid connected with the USB and went to the folder and clicked on "Install tether on Android" and a black box on the screen opened then closed, but nothing happened. There is still no app on my Droid. I am using windows 7.

Droidguru

Reaction score
You have to manually move the tether.apk file from your computer to your SD card than manually install it.

After this it still won't work but at least you have solved the first problem.

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Did you do this step? The black box is the command prompt and should say copying around 400k then goes away. After that go to settings/apps/manage apps. Tether should be in here as well as the app drawer.

Reaction score

Did you do this step? The black box is the command prompt and should say copying around 400k then goes away. After that go to settings/apps/manage apps. Tether should be in here as well as the app drawer.

Yeah...I did that step. It just shows the black box then it goes away, Doesn't do anything.

Delirious17

Reaction score
I've heard those with Verizon, you could be service charged out of the ass for doing this?

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Yeah...I did that step. It just shows the black box then it goes away, Doesn't do anything.

You may not have ADB installed. It uses it to push the file to your phone. Another way is to do this. Go to computer/c:/program files/tether/tether.apk is in there. Mount your phone by pulling down the notification bar and tapping on usb connected. You may get an autoplay window for the sdcard of the phone. Otherwise go to computer and look for removable drive. In the sdcard place the tether.apk in here. Make sure to go to settings/apps/ and have a check mark in Unknown sources. Last open a file manager like Astro and go to /sdcard where the tether.apk is at tap on it. Chose app launcher and install. You should now have it on your phone.