Droid X Gingerbread Wireless Tether Workaround

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wireless-Tether-Android-app.png

Although Verizon has created a new wireless tether blocking method in Gingerbread, some crafty folks have managed to come up with a workaround. It has only been confirmed on the Droid X, but may also work on other devices. Here's the instructions:
  1. First, you’ll need to download this new Wireless Tether beta. [more info]
  2. Open up the app after installing, and headed into Settings.
  3. Under Device-Profile, search for “Motorola DroidX (CDMA)” or “Motorola Droid2″ and select it.
  4. Turn on Wireless Tether and connect any device you like.
If this works as advertised, then at least we have an alternative while the FCC investigates the whole issue with Verizon.

Source: Droid-Life

Last edited:

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Been using this for a while. Works fine (the rare times I tether). Its the one with the yellow icon right?

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.7

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
Works for me on LGB 0.7. I havent used wifi tether in a long time but its nice to have a backup i guess!

Jordan8

Reaction score
No go for me. Droid X Apex 2.0 GB. Something I found strange as well, I get directed to the page wanting me to buy the $20 package on the computer... but it also directs me to that page when trying to go to a website on my phone, even after wireless tether is turned off. It takes a reboot to get it back to normal.

Batman8

Reaction score
No go for me. Droid X Apex 2.0 GB. Something I found strange as well, I get directed to the page wanting me to buy the $20 package on the computer... but it also directs me to that page when trying to go to a website on my phone, even after wireless tether is turned off. It takes a reboot to get it back to normal.

I had the exact same thing happen to me on my 2.3.3 Droid-X!! WTF?? I hate having to reboot, but otherwise my phone loses all connections (no market, no web access, etc.) after running this tether app.

holmes6

Reaction score
Doesn't work with Droid 2 /Zombie 1.65.. wifi network doesn't start

Did you guys who are saying it broke your connection try setting the device to Droid X or Droid 2 profile?

Batman8

Reaction score
I selected the Droid-X settings since that's the device that I use. What's even more strange is that according to the app, it worked and was tethering, but in reality I could NOT get a connection to save my life until I rebooted and did a battery pull. Before that, all I would get is Verizon's web page over and over asking for money. None of my bookmarks would work, no android market or anything!!

Jordan8

Reaction score
Doesn't work with Droid 2 /Zombie 1.65.. wifi network doesn't start

Did you guys who are saying it broke your connection try setting the device to Droid X or Droid 2 profile?

Yessir. When I activate the 3rd party tether app, it'll request root & turn on. But the official mobile hotspot app also pops up in the status bar. The 3G sign drops completely & than comes back as white(I think that means the market can't sync). The official mobile hotspot icon is also gone out of the status bar after that. Internet access is than dead until next reboot. If you try to go to a website on the PHONE or whatever you're tethered to, you get directed to Verizon's page.

So my guess is it's something to do with the official hotspot app, does Liberty GB have this app removed? I was going to remove it myself, but it looks like it's tied into the settings apk...

Note: Easytether Pro still works without any problems for me.

yurdle

Reaction score
To get this to work you also need the tether patch that was released awhile back by TBH... although p3 said not to use it... so really its up to you.
I have it installed and tether works great the rare times that I use it (so far only used it to test this workaround)
The only problem is that i have to reboot after i turn tether off, which isn't too mush of a pain (airplane mode wasn't fixing it) hot reboot from liberty toolbox works though.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Good to see some progress being made. I expect this will eventually work its way to other devices as well. :D

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Some confusion with this. When I enable tether my laptop sees the new wifi hotspot but other smartphones including android ones don't detect it :blink:

Jordan8

Reaction score
Some confusion with this. When I enable tether my laptop sees the new wifi hotspot but other smartphones including android ones don't detect it :blink:

I haven't had a chance to check with other devices, but the other day a friend asked if he could use my hotspot for his iPod. I turned on the STOCK hotspot app, no patch or anything installed & he connected & did whatever just fine. I guess since it was a mobile device it thought it was just my phone, no idea. But may be something you could try.

As for me, the only time I ever tether is when traveling.. which isn't very often. So Easytether will be fine for me, charges the phone too :p. It'll be interesting to see how the FCC responds to all of this though dancedroid

Reaction score
Does the wireless tether block only affect those on GB, I am running stock froyo with root on a D2 and I haven't really tried it yet but want to make sure I will be ready for my road trip in 2 weeks.