Talking and Surfing

PhDCow

Reaction score
Why can I talk and surf simultaneously when I'm using my Wi-Fi connection, but not when I'm on the 3G network? Thanks!

Reaction score
Wow do you live under a rock? You NEVER saw AT&T 50 million stupid commercials about this? Because verizon is still running on the cdma network, not the faster, but much more unreliable gsm network. And seriously does this problem come up that often? Ive never thought, "wow i wish i could check out these pics of naked chicks while i talk to my mom."

Big Cam

Reaction score
Why can I talk and surf simultaneously when I'm using my Wi-Fi connection, but not when I'm on the 3G network? Thanks!
I would be careful the next time you start a thread or the cronies might completely rip you apart.

Verizons CDMA network is limited to doing one thing at a time, either data or voice. If you are connected to Wi-Fi, you use Verizons voice and then your own Wi-Fi connection for data.

AT&T has been bragging for months that their network which is GSM allows you to talk and use data at the same time, but tjhey don't tell you that their 3G coverage is about 10% of the US and fails constantly.

Dr01d

Reaction score
Wow do you live under a rock? You NEVER saw AT&T 50 million stupid commercials about this? Because verizon is still running on the cdma network, not the faster, but much more unreliable gsm network. And seriously does this problem come up that often? Ive never thought, "wow i wish i could check out these pics of naked chicks while i talk to my mom."

LOL Goddam! Touch a nerve?

OP
PhDCow

PhDCow

Reaction score
Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning? Yes, I've seen the commercials, thanks.

Thanks for the real answers. That makes sense about Verizon's capabilities. I just got added to our wireless network at home and it was nice to be able to have a conference call this morning and look at the website we were discussing.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I don't know why you would need to surf the net while on a call truthfully. No offence to ATnT's only up side and how their commercials act like its the best thing ever... I mean if a friend wants to know what the definition of "Crap" is or where the nearest "Taco Bell" is, then Ill tell him to hang on 1 minute and Ill call him back.

Call and surf... I never needed it anyway

StupidGenius

Reaction score
Although it's probably AT LEAST a year away. Once Verizon launches their LTE network, simultaneous calls and surfing will likely be possible. Of course that will require a new phone, since the Droid and no other phones have the hardware to access LTE signals.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
The simplest technical answer is that CDMA networks send data in an unbroken "stream" once a connection is established. A GSM nework (like AT&T's) breaks up data into tiny "packets" that are reassembled on the other end.

This means that a CDMA stream cannot be interrupted. But in a GSM environment more than one one activity (e.g. voice and data) can share a single circuit with packets coming from each source.

There are advantages to each technology. CDMA advocates maintain it provides better performance and reliability (i.e. fewer dropped connections). GSM advocates point to the ability to share a circuit for multiple purposes.

BostonDan

Reaction score
First of all: to the posters who "ripped" the OP - it is a valid question. I have had to take phone calls while tethered, and guess what? My tether is severed because Verizon doesn't have talk & surf.

This is not a dumb question, nor should it have been met with contempt or ridicule. I wish Verizon had the capability as well, but I would rather have the big Red with its reliability than an AT&T network phone.

Remember, everybody has different needs and different ways of using their phones (business, personal, etc.)

We are a community. No need to be arrogant. Remember, at one time you too were a noob.

Cheers,
B.D.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First of all: to the posters who "ripped" the OP - it is a valid question. I have had to take phone calls while tethered, and guess what? My tether is severed because Verizon doesn't have talk & surf.

This is not a dumb question, nor should it have been met with contempt or ridicule. I wish Verizon had the capability as well, but I would rather have the big Red with its reliability than an AT&T network phone.

Remember, everybody has different needs and different ways of using their phones (business, personal, etc.)

We are a community. No need to be arrogant. Remember, at one time you too were a noob.

Cheers,
B.D.

Well said.

People keep wondering why that sticky is up at the top of this sub forum about We are the Forum and we are all here to help. Well, this is a good example of it.

Just answer the question and let it go. That's the way we do things on DF.

Big Cam

Reaction score
The simplest technical answer is that CDMA networks send data in an unbroken "stream" once a connection is established. A GSM nework (like AT&T's) breaks up data into tiny "packets" that are reassembled on the other end.

This means that a CDMA stream cannot be interrupted. But in a GSM environment more than one one activity (e.g. voice and data) can share a single circuit with packets coming from each source.

There are advantages to each technology. CDMA advocates maintain it provides better performance and reliability (i.e. fewer dropped connections). GSM advocates point to the ability to share a circuit for multiple purposes.
That's what I said, except you sounds smarter saying it.:)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Perhaps just more verbose. :) I've noticed, though, that this discussion often suggests that people believe VZW or Motorola can simply "enhance" the network or phone to provide the dual functionality. The sad fact is that all design involves compromises (much like marriages) and Verizon decided a long time ago that the advantages of a CDMA network outweighed its disadvantages.

nerdbox08

Reaction score

Perhaps just more verbose. :) I've noticed, though, that this discussion often suggests that people believe VZW or Motorola can simply "enhance" the network or phone to provide the dual functionality. The sad fact is that all design involves compromises (much like marriages) and Verizon decided a long time ago that the advantages of a CDMA network outweighed its disadvantages.

I've read several places, this thread included about the LTE network, I am going to look it up for more information... But I was curious if we could get a response from YOU(jsh1120) what LTE is and what the differences will be if this thing gets off the ground.

It's nice to have info in one spot, I suppose :)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

I've read several places, this thread included about the LTE network, I am going to look it up for more information... But I was curious if we could get a response from YOU(jsh1120) what LTE is and what the differences will be if this thing gets off the ground.

It's nice to have info in one spot, I suppose :)

If I sound like I know what I'm talking about on these issues, it's more of a testament to having stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night than any real expertise. But from what I understand, here are the basics...

LTE simply stands for "Long Term Evolution" of mobile network standards. Overall, its major objective is not to provide better service to consumers (at least not directly), but to reduce costs and increase performance for carriers. Lower equipment costs, increased numbers of users on cell towers, faster transmission, simpler architecture, etc.

In effect it's an effort to bring the fractured technologies of multiple versions of GSM and CDMA together in a single more comprehensive set of standards. It's "backwards compatible" in the sense that the older technologies can run in a 4G/LTE environment, but the hardware designed for those technologies cannot take advantage of the enhancements that LTE offers. But since the product life span of cell phones is so short, that's not viewed as a problem but as an opportunity to sell more phones.

Of course all of this will require the retrofitting of new equipment on existing cell phone towers, as well. And that's why it cannot simply be "turned on" for the new phones.

Furthermore, it's important to understand that all of this development is not being driven primarily by the issues that concern US cell phone users. We constitute a very small slice of the potential market. Rather, it's part of a much larger transition away from "wired" to "wireless" communication throughout the world where it enables (what we once called) "developing" nations to skip the entire build-out of a wired communication network.

Thus, features like the greater range of cell links in rural areas and greater capacity of cells in dense urban areas that LTE promises are far more important in a country like India or China than in the US. This, in turn, means that the potential market for phones that take advantage of 4G technology in such countries dwarfs that of the US.