Surf and talk at the same time

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I could swear when I received my Maxx back in March that I could surf the web while talking on the phone. And am 99% certain that I made sure that Wi-Fi was off when testing it. My son asked me today if I could talk and surf and said he can't on his Maxx. So I tried it and I cannot.
Originally I was on GB, and now ICS & v211. During a test today, I noticed that (with Wi-Fi off) my 3G icon disappears as soon as my phone rings.
Am I losing my mind here?

drew96dawg

Reaction score
you have to be on 4g. 3g cannot do voice and data simultaneously

Sent from a Droid2 Using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
With the RAZR MAXX, when not connected to WiFi, you can only surf and talk at the same time if you have a 4G connection. In that situation, data is transmitted via the LTE connection while voice is carried by the CDMA connection. If you're only connected to 3G, you won't be able to talk and surf at the same time.

There are some devices on Verizon that can do voice and data simultaneously over 3G, including the Thunderbolt, Rezound, Incredible 4G, and Galaxy S3. They have separate hardware that allows this to work. The MAXX does not have the necessary hardware, so it's unable to do both over 3G at the same time.

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks. You've confirmed that I am losing my mind. I am in a 3G only area so I could never have achieved this as I could've sworn that I did...... :(

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Which is sad, because cdma supports svdo (simultaneous voice and data). The thunderbolt was the first phone to get the radio firmware which supports this, and i guess Motorola has never supported this.

Sent from My Droid RAZR MAXX with Tapatalk.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Which is sad, because cdma supports svdo (simultaneous voice and data). The thunderbolt was the first phone to get the radio firmware which supports this, and i guess Motorola has never supported this.

Sent from My Droid RAZR MAXX with Tapatalk.

SVDO requires a separate hardware radio in order to work, so it has to be planned from the beginning stages of the phone's design. While the network is capable of it, Verizon doesn't officially support SVDO, so most manufacturers have seen no reason to include it (particularly because LTE should alleviate the issue). HTC has been the only one to actively include it with the Thunderbolt and the Rezound. The Snapdragon S4 chip that powers the Galaxy S3 has the hardware for SVDO by default, so no planning is really necessary if that chip is used. Since the RAZR M, RAZR HD, and the RAZR MAXX HD all have the S4 chip, they should all support SVDO.

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
bsweetness said:
SVDO requires a separate hardware radio in order to work, so it has to be planned from the beginning stages of the phone's design. While the network is capable of it, Verizon doesn't officially support SVDO, so most manufacturers have seen no reason to include it (particularly because LTE should alleviate the issue). HTC has been the only one to actively include it with the Thunderbolt and the Rezound. The Snapdragon S4 chip that powers the Galaxy S3 has the hardware for SVDO by default, so no planning is really necessary if that chip is used. Since the RAZR M, RAZR HD, and the RAZR MAXX HD all have the S4 chip, they should all support SVDO.

Are you by chance saying that when my Max was new, and on GB that it may have worked on 3G??
Please say yes (you can even lie) so that I can pretend that my mind isn't lost.... :)

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Are you by chance saying that when my Max was new, and on GB that it may have worked on 3G??
Please say yes (you can even lie) so that I can pretend that my mind isn't lost.... :)

No. The MAXX could never talk and surf over 3G at the same time. :)

I was saying that SVDO requires special hardware. The MAXX has never had that hardware, so it has never been able to do it. Gingerbread and ICS have nothing to do with it. :)

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
bsweetness said:
No. The MAXX could never talk and surf over 3G at the same time. :)

I was saying that SVDO requires special hardware. The MAXX has never had that hardware, so it has never been able to do it. Gingerbread and ICS have nothing to do with it. :)

I have lost my mind...:(
Well I guess tough love is better than no love.......

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The S3 has the SVDO chip? Didn't know that... nifty.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The S3 has the SVDO chip? Didn't know that... nifty.

Yep. It's built into the Snapdragon S4, so any phone on Verizon with that chip should support SVDO (unless it's disabled for some odd reason by the manufacturer).

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep. It's built into the Snapdragon S4, so any phone on Verizon with that chip should support SVDO (unless it's disabled for some odd reason by the manufacturer).

Ah, cool, so the M, Maxx HD, etc (pretty much all of them now I guess) should then?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Ah, cool, so the M, Maxx HD, etc (pretty much all of them now I guess) should then?

Yeah, they all have the necessary hardware for it. I haven't seen any confirmation of it working on the M, but I can't imagine that Motorola would disable it.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they all have the necessary hardware for it. I haven't seen any confirmation of it working on the M, but I can't imagine that Motorola would disable it.

It doesn't on the M (just tested). As soon as a phone call starts, 3G disappears. I tested it anyway to make sure, and definitely no data when you're on the phone.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It doesn't on the M (just tested). As soon as a phone call starts, 3G disappears. I tested it anyway to make sure, and definitely no data when you're on the phone.

Strange. It should be capable of doing it. Maybe Motorola decided to disable it for some reason, or perhaps it has a slightly modified S4.