Stock Motoblur ICS for droid4

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, if the Cheesecake builds are this prone to suddenly disappearing off of the servers, it might explain why a Bionic build hasn't popped up. With so many concerned about the RAZR, and the D4 being a new toy for alot of people; perhaps we just don't have enough people looking for the Bionic build to find it when it does pop up.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Have the developers been able to pull anything out of it that would be useful for the three ICS builds (AOKP/CM9/Gummi)?

OP
H

Hooks405

Reaction score
holy ****, lol idk but after i got stuck in ap fast boot loop i just hit the power button to black the screen and tried a couple times to get into regular mode by holding volume down and up and power button everything just returned to ap fast boot, after hitting power button to the screen go black i watched the entire OKC THUNDER GAME! THUNDERUP Just saying, and picked up the D4 for one last hopefull attemp held volume up + down and hit power and was able to do a normal boot.... Dont ask me how cause im f****** baffled. thought i soft bricked my phone and NO!

orangejuiced

Reaction score
those 2 mirror links are not for the ICS, just the latest 2.3.6 GB build. anyone have the 6.16.200 build?

also hook, were you running a custom rom with SS before you did the update. i tried the update since 9 am and it failed about 8 times

Last edited:

itguylv

Reaction score
update?

So can someone post a full set of instructions for updating? Is there still a future update problem? So Motorola took the source down and now it can be done by update.zip successfully?

themeangreen

Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here.

If there is a way to update to the ICS leak and keep root, is there any reason why we just can't restore our nandroid non-safe backups?

Zuofu

Reaction score
malfunctiion said:
So even though it was incredibly risky, I went ahead and took the plunge with the update. It works great, but even better, I kept root! Here's how:
[*]Before updating, back up root with Voodoo Rootkeeper
[*]Use Voodoo to Temp Un-root
[*]Use Voodoo to restore root
[*]

THEN, apply the update. I was able to use voodoo to restore root after booting into ics, and superuser, ad-away, wifi tether, titanium backup are all able to get root access! I read an xda thread that said this method worked for keeping root when moving to the ics leaks on the razr, and figured I'd give it a shot. I can't guarantee it'll work for everyone, but it IS possible to keep root with this update!

I did this and it totally worked. Thanks! However, the upgrade process was iffy and a bunch of apps were freezing, so I had to wipe data, but you must do this *after* you already have root in ICS, otherwise wiping data will kill your su backup (I think).

So to summarize:

I am coming from the OTA 219 (you may need to fastboot with RSD Lite to 219 gingerbread if you've done things like modified the build.props or deleted system apps with Titanium Backup). Make sure you keep root when doing the fastboot to 219.

1) Unfreeze all the stock Motorola/VZW bloatware (obviously only need to do this if you've frozen it to begin with)

2) Backup data with MyBackup Pro (specifically things like text messages and call logs)

3) Install OTA Rootkeeper, back up root, temp unroot, then restore root. I didn't reboot after each step, but as with everything else YMMV.

4) Download the .zip that's floating around, extract it to find another .zip, put this on your sdcard (this depends on where you download the .zip, some of them aren't zipped twice, the file that goes on your SD Card is "Blur_Version.6.13.219.XT894.Verizon.en.US.zip")

5) Go into the bootloader by rebooting while holding down both volume keys, then go down to recovery (hit volume down, then volume up). When in recovery (android exclamation mark logo) hit both volume keys again to get menu. Select apply update and select the zip on the sdcard.

6) Pray

7) After everything installs you should boot into ICS. The setup process here was very finicky for me and clicking the wrong thing would cause a hard freeze (you can force the D4 to hard reboot by holding down power and volume down for 15s). What you have to do here is somehow manage to run OTA rootkeeper and restore root. Make sure you have the superuser app and it works!

8) I had to go back to the recovery menu here and wipe data/cache in order to get my system stable, ymmv, but it seems like if you have a lot of data (especially a lot of text messages and custom settings) the data causes ICS to freak out.

9) Restore your data using mybackup pro.

This is what worked for me, now I am on the ICS leak with root.

Last edited:

Big D

Reaction score
But is everyone off the upgrade path now?

It seems like if you are after installing this, waiting the possibly couple of days while Hash et al use this to tweak their ICS builds and maintain the future of your phone makes sense. Or rather, installing this DOESN'T make sense.

Am I off here?

Last edited:

Zuofu

Reaction score
Big D said:
But is everyone off the upgrade path now?

It seems like if you are after installing this, waiting the possibly couple of days while Hash et al use this to tweak their ICS builds and maintain the future of your phone makes sense. Or rather, installing this DOESN'T make sense.

Am I off here?

Yes and no. If you want ICS with full functionality this is probably the only bet for awhile short of another motorola leak that's newer (a distinct possibility). While the devs can probably make use of the newer libraries, the big problem is the locked bootloader on the droid 4. If you'll notice the screenshots of the leak has a newer kernel version than any of the gingerbread builds. Even if you install another custom ICS rom, they can only use the kernel of the official build you are coming from, so it's likely the custom ICS roms will still have some limitations as long as you are coming from an official gingerbread.

Now, of course you can flash the leak to update the kernel, but that would take you off the update path. I figure some people have been able to sbf back to 215 (and others have bricked their phones) so I'm thinking I'll try that when I need to get back onto the upgrade path. I have insurance on my D4, so at worse I'll have to pay the deductable (I think it's 100 some bucks) if I totally brick.

That's my reasoning, I don't encourage or discourage flashing....and YMMV.

Big D

Reaction score
So it's the ol' "I'll cross the bridge when I get there" approach?

That's usually the approach I take. Hello ICS.

Is there anything that doesn't work? Like video, data, tether, camera etc?

OP
H

Hooks405

Reaction score
So it's the ol' "I'll cross the bridge when I get there" approach?

That's usually the approach I take. Hello ICS.

Is there anything that doesn't work? Like video, data, tether, camera etc?

I havent ran into a problem yet, 4g works, video camera works, face unlock works, foxfi doesnt work i lost root so i cant try wifi tether. I did attempt to fastboot back to 219 and it failed on 6/18, then i tried fastbooting 215 it failed on 6/18. Everytime i turn my phone on it goes to fastboot so i turn it off hold volume up and down and hit power and choose normal boot, but automatically goes into fastboot if the phone restarts or turns off