Stock Motoblur ICS for droid4

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Motorola Droid 4 gets leaked ICS build, official Android 4.0.4 may soon follow - Engadget

Per Engadget:

We've known for quite some time that Motorola intended to push Ice Cream Sandwich to the Droid 4, but until now the waiting game continued, with no end in sight. It now appears that the smartphone maker is making serious progress on its own Motoblur-infused flavor of ICS, with a stock version of the upgrade making the rounds since last night. According to early adopters, the build seems to enable complete functionality, but upgrading early will leave your device locked to 4.0.4, with no option for future updates. So, for now, it makes sense to hang tight, but it'd be reasonable to assume that Moto-sanctioned ICS is indeed on its way to the Droid 4. Impatient owners will find everything they need at the source link after the break.

Another source saying it may not be wise to install the leak.

So for those who did, can you confirm you can you can revert back to GB using fastboot?

Zuofu

Reaction score
Can't seem to get it to work, did they pull it? If so, does anyone have the update file?

Zuofu

johnnydevil

Reaction score
I've let it sit for close to 15 minutes and nothing. If someone could post or mail me a link that would be awesome. I'm not worried about bricking because the d4 is only being used for dev. Thanks

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

OP
H

Hooks405

Reaction score
well i would but when i updated I lost root so now i cant access the /cache folder, been looking for ways to reroot but it appears they fixed the exploit (no longer a simple script) on motorola's 4.0.4

johnnydevil

Reaction score
Damn. A few pages back someone claimed to have it on drop box.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

malfunctiion

Reaction score
Kept root with update

So even though it was incredibly risky, I went ahead and took the plunge with the update. It works great, but even better, I kept root! Here's how:

1. Before updating, back up root with Voodoo Rootkeeper
  2. Use Voodoo to Temp Un-root
  3. Use Voodoo to restore root

THEN, apply the update. I was able to use voodoo to restore root after booting into ics, and superuser, ad-away, wifi tether, titanium backup are all able to get root access! I read an xda thread that said this method worked for keeping root when moving to the ics leaks on the razr, and figured I'd give it a shot. I can't guarantee it'll work for everyone, but it IS possible to keep root with this update!

OP
H

Hooks405

Reaction score
So even though it was incredibly risky, I went ahead and took the plunge with the update. It works great, but even better, I kept root! Here's how:

1. Before updating, back up root with Voodoo Rootkeeper
  2. Use Voodoo to Temp Un-root
  3. Use Voodoo to restore root

THEN, apply the update. I was able to use voodoo to restore root after booting into ics, and superuser, ad-away, wifi tether, titanium backup are all able to get root access! I read an xda thread that said this method worked for keeping root when moving to the ics leaks on the razr, and figured I'd give it a shot. I can't guarantee it'll work for everyone, but it IS possible to keep root with this update!
Nice, when did u update some are saying it no longer works and im to afraid to try and flash back with rsd lite

Zuofu

Reaction score
Nice, when did u update some are saying it no longer works and im to afraid to try and flash back with rsd lite

Well, the update no longer works if you go through with the "Cheesecake" method, since that basically changes where your phone gets updates from to an internal motorola server (for their in-house testing, presumably) which has since then been disabled. You ought to be able to still update using a zip file that others have posted, which I am downloading right now (I will report the results after I flash). As far as being able to flash back with RSDLite, I've read conflicting things. Some people seem to have managed to go back to 215. For others it bricks their phone...

OP
H

Hooks405

Reaction score
Well, the update no longer works if you go through with the "Cheesecake" method, since that basically changes where your phone gets updates from to an internal motorola server (for their in-house testing, presumably) which has since then been disabled. You ought to be able to still update using a zip file that others have posted, which I am downloading right now (I will report the results after I flash). As far as being able to flash back with RSDLite, I've read conflicting things. Some people seem to have managed to go back to 215. For others it bricks their phone...
well i took one for the team, i had downloaded and used RSDLite to flas the 219 version. When I attempted it failed on 6/18 like someone said before, but the other user said he flashed 215 and it worked. I guess ill try flashing 215 and start ordering another phone :-/