Stock Motoblur ICS for droid4

ghostlobster

Reaction score
Slightly off base but enough.

You can NOT flash the ICS leak with anything other than a stock system and the stock recovery (though you can be rooted).

Safestrap 2.0 is for those who HAVE flashed the ICS leak already, allowing them to soon be able to flash a version of CM9/ICS that includes all the leaked ICS proprietaries that work with the new kernel they are running....which they got when they flashed the leaked ICS on their stock phone.

Safestrap 1.09 (or whatever) is for current phones running official software, allowing them to (for the most part) leave their stock system untouched. Safestrap 2.0 is for those who have flash the leaked ICS and want to keep it "safe" and flash new versions of CM9/AOKP/etc...that are developed for ICS phones.

Thanks for the clarification! Now, I get it and understand that no way, no how can I have ICS with the ability to go back to Gingerbread and/or stay on the upgrade path just yet. Oh well! Thanks again everyone. I'll just keep waiting.

jeffcicale

Reaction score
ghostlobster said:
Thanks for the clarification! Now, I get it and understand that no way, no how can I have ICS with the ability to go back to Gingerbread and/or stay on the upgrade path just yet. Oh well! Thanks again everyone. I'll just keep waiting.

I understand where you're coming from. I didn't want to take the risk and debated it since the first release.

On the other hand, I was about to throw my phone away because of the problems I had with GB. I liked nothing about this phone. ( I upgraded from the original droid) I can now say that I truly enjoy using this phone and haven't had any problems as of yet. My battery has also been a lot better. I use the phone for about an hour a day and have it on for about 12 hours total...with ICS, I have been at 60-70%. With GB, I was at 40% steadily with the same apps and frozen bloat ware. (Always at 50% brightness)

4low4fun

Reaction score
Another nice thing about ics is the fact that you can disable the bloat ware stock from the about apps option.

bgarlock

Reaction score
I couldn't resist, so I'm on ICS now. I didn't have to fastboot, as I only made one build.prop change, which I reversed. I then uninstalled safestrap, and the update applied without error. I snapped a photo of the screen when it was finished if anyone needs to see what a good update looks like.

Love ICS Gmail app. Kind of strange that Facebook app is now included as a pre-installed system app now.

Also, boot up is much faster. The first boot seems like an eternity, as all the dalvik caches are generated. I also had one 'soft' boot, where it goes to the droid eye, and doesn't have to remount the SD partitions.

Now everything is running smooth. Runs a little bit warmer than GB, but battery life seems fine so far.

I may do a factory reset to start clean, but so far all apps and data are intact.

Once I saw that SS 2.0 was out, and that new ROM's would be coming soon that take advantage of the new kernel, I decided what the hell. Glad I jumped in the pool! The waters nice :)

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

droat

Reaction score
Need Help Going From Eclipse Back To Stock

I have successfully flashed ROMs many times, but somehow can't get back to stock. Does anyone have the latest method?

bgarlock

Reaction score
I may do a factory reset to start clean, but so far all apps and data are intact.

I ended up doing a factory reset, because for some reason, my Motocast ID was not migrated properly. I would just get the spinning wheel "Communicating with Server". After the Factory Reset, all the Motocast stuff works again, and like I expected, the phone is much snappier.

It kind of makes a lot of sense to start clean with an Upgrade. It's not much different than trying to do an IPU with any Linux system. Things just work better when you start nice and clean :)

I also noticed there is a 'Global' Network option now.

Props to Motorola for not going crazy with Blur. This is truly a great job by them, as it's pretty darn close to Vanilla ICS. I'm impressed so far. It still has a little bloat, but I really like how they stayed away from modding the UI elements like they have done with previous Android releases. Maybe this is because Google owns them, or maybe they are finally listening to users. :)

jeffcicale

Reaction score
bgarlock said:
I ended up doing a factory reset, because for some reason, my Motocast ID was not migrated properly. I would just get the spinning wheel "Communicating with Server". After the Factory Reset, all the Motocast stuff works again, and like I expected, the phone is much snappier.

It kind of makes a lot of sense to start clean with an Upgrade. It's not much different than trying to do an IPU with any Linux system. Things just work better when you start nice and clean :)

I also noticed there is a 'Global' Network option now.

Props to Motorola for not going crazy with Blur. This is truly a great job by them, as it's pretty darn close to Vanilla ICS. I'm impressed so far. It still has a little bloat, but I really like how they stayed away from modding the UI elements like they have done with previous Android releases. Maybe this is because Google owns them, or maybe they are finally listening to users. :)

I completely agree with the job motorola did with ICS...this is barely modded and I love the mods they made such as the lockscreen. I'm now wondering if they will be doing the blur additions later on. If so, I'm keeping this release!