[HOW TO] Install the leaked Android 4.0.4 ICS build on the Droid 4 (XT894)

r314bd

Reaction score
EDIT (9/04/2012): Now that the official Android 4.0.4 ICS build (6.16.217) has been released, you can either use one of the methods below to upgrade OR jsnweitzel's Droid 4 Utility here. You will also be able to root using his tool.

---------------------------------------------------
Here are instructions on how to upgrade from Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread (build 6.13.219) to Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich on the Motorola Droid 4 (XT894). These are official builds pulled from a Motorola server.

WARNING!!! ONCE YOU INSTALL THIS UPDATE, YOU CANNOT REVERT TO 6.13.219 OR 6.13.215 VIA FASTBOOT. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Android 4.0.4 System Version 6.16.217: DOWNLOAD

INSTRUCTIONS:

(If you have never edited your build.prop file or modified the contents of your /system folder, you may be able to skip step 1.)

Method 1: If you have an external SD card:
  1. Flash the 6.13.219 fastboot file (instructions here) and, if desired, use the Droid 4 Utility to obtain root (instructions here)
  2. (To keep root) Open Superuser and update the su binary
  3. Download/extract one of the files above and copy only Blur_Version.6.13.219.XT894.Verizon.en.US.zip to your phone's external SD card
  4. (To keep root) Install OTA RootKeeper, select "Protect root", then "Temp. un-root", then "Restore root"
  5. Power off your phone, then hold the volume up, volume down, and power buttons at the same time until you see the bootloader menu
  6. Use the volume down button to navigate to "Recovery" then use the volume up button to select it
  7. When you see the android/triangle, press both volume buttons together
  8. Select "apply update from sdcard" then press the power button
  9. Select the .zip file and wait for the installation to finish
  10. Reboot
  11. (To keep root) Open OTA RootKeeper and select "Restore root"

Method 2: If you do not have an external SD card (root required):

1. Flash the 6.13.219 fastboot file (instructions here) and use the Droid 4 Utility to obtain root (instructions here)
  2. (To keep root) Open Superuser and update the su binary
  3. Download/extract one of the files above and copy the enclosed .zip and .crc files to your phone's internal storage (do not change the file names)
  4. Install ROM Manager
  5. Install ES File Explorer, open it, go to Settings, and check "Root Explorer" and "Mount File System"
  6. Move the zip and crc files from internal storage to the /cache folder
  7. (To keep root) Install OTA RootKeeper, select "Protect root", then "Temp. un-root", then "Restore root"
  8. Open ES File Explorer again, navigate to the /cache folder, click on the .zip file, and open with ROM Manager
  9. Select "OK" when you see the Reboot and Install message and wait for the installation to finish
  10. Reboot
  11. (To keep root) Open OTA RootKeeper and select "Restore root"

Last edited:

pilonull

Reaction score
Excellent tutorial, thanks for spending the time to do so.
Might I suggest that you mention that users MUST be running a stock version of gingerbread before flashing this? Otherwise the upgrade will fail and you might have a bunch of questions on your hands to answer.

Also, you might want to mention that if a user does choose to install this pre-release, they might be ineligible for future upgrades.

Just a suggestion, thanks again for the straight-forward, detailed instructions.

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
Done and done :)

Last edited:

kenji91

Reaction score
pilonull said:
Excellent tutorial, thanks for spending the time to do so.
Might I suggest that you mention that users MUST be running a stock version of gingerbread before flashing this? Otherwise the upgrade will fail and you might have a bunch of questions on your hands to answer.

Also, you might want to mention that if a user does choose to install this pre-release, they might be ineligible for future upgrades.

Just a suggestion, thanks again for the straight-forward, detailed instructions.

Forgive me as I'm fairly new to this game but I'm currently running Eclipse 1.3 (GB) and would like to try ICS. Would I be able to go back to Eclipse/GB if I'm not happy with the stock Verizon ICS?

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
Forgive me as I'm fairly new to this game but I'm currently running Eclipse 1.3 (GB) and would like to try ICS. Would I be able to go back to Eclipse/GB if I'm not happy with the stock Verizon ICS?
Well to install this you will have to first fastboot to stock 6.13.219, which will of course remove your safestrap and second system. Once you install this ICS build, that primary system cannot be reverted, but I haven't found any comments yet regarding whether you are able to reinstall safestrap after ICS + root is installed. I'd wait until someone else confirms this first.

EDIT: Safestrap 2.0 (for the leaked ICS builds) has been released. You will only be able to use ROMs based on ICS kernels.

Last edited:

kenji91

Reaction score
SGMD1 said:
Well to install this you will have to first fastboot to stock 6.13.219, which will of course remove your safestrap and second system. Once you install this ICS build, that primary system cannot be reverted, but I haven't found any comments yet regarding whether you are able to reinstall safestrap after ICS + root is installed. I'd wait until someone else confirms this first.

So just to make sure I understand this... if I fastboot to 6.13.219 and install 4.0.4, I cannot revert to 6.13.219?

Even if I were able to reinstall safestrap on a rooted ICS rom, my "safe" system would have to be based on 4.0.4, right?

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
So just to make sure I understand this... if I fastboot to 6.13.219 and install 4.0.4, I cannot revert to 6.13.219?
Correct
Even if I were able to reinstall safestrap on a rooted ICS rom, my "safe" system would have to be based on 4.0.4, right?
Also correct

Last edited:

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
I think that if you flashed the ics leak and kept root you should be able to run eclipse on your safe side, you will just be stuck on the 4.0.4 kernal since the locked bootloader prevents us from flashing kernals/radios.
I learned this the hard way when i had the bionic and flashed the. 902 leak before it was official. Got stuck in a bootloop messing with **** and tried to fastboot and wound up stuck in fastboot. It is possible to edit the fastboot xml's timmy10shoes did it for us to make it possible to revert back, we just need someone with a d4 that has the know how.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

moccor

Reaction score
Perfectly clear guide. Didn't have to guess on anything whatsoever. Root retained. Thanks a lot.

Big D

Reaction score
Quick question.

In the tutorial, you have "temp un-root then install root." THEN flash.

You do not temp un-root, flash and then resore root? The flash should happen with a rooted phone?

Thanks.

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score

You do not temp un-root, flash and then resore root? The flash should happen with a rooted phone?
Yes, you MUST restore root prior to flashing, and then restore root again after flashing. The normal process of just backing up root, flashing, then restoring root does not work.
Can this be installed on the safesystem side like a ROM?
Unfortunately no

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
Can this be installed on the safesystem side like a ROM?

no. you have to install this on stock. Safe strap will have to be un-installed for the update to work.

Quick question.

Thanks.

the procedure is protect root, unroot, re-root and flash.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk