stand against the custom ui

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Actually, it runs on top of Sense, but Sense is not disabled. Its still running.

Anyway, this petition is a waste of time, and...impossible to enforce on open source. If you want something locked down and no hope fo changing how it looks and works, get an iPhone.

Last edited:

clucernoni

Reaction score
I would only buy a phone with the basic android on it. I don't feel like waiting for HTC to decide to update SenseUI for each version of Android we get.

OP
S

sroach23

Reaction score
so other than clucernoni, the rest of you have no problem waiting longer for updates like froyo? if you buy the shadow (or extreme) do you really think it will be quickly upgraded to 2.2? the cliq came out before the droid and it is still running 1.5. i dont mind a few phones with ui, but not every single model.

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
It is your choice (as well as ours) on what phone you buy.

Unless you buy direct and are supported by Google, you will always be at the mercy of the manufacturers on when an update is released (custom UI or not), unless you are rooted, and even then there is no guarantee that will always be possible.

nerdkill

Reaction score
Actually, it runs on top of Sense, but Sense is not disabled. Its still running.

Anyway, this petition is a waste of time, and...impossible to enforce on open source. If you want something locked down and no hope fo changing how it looks and works, get an iPhone.

but you don't have to deal with the sense ui if you don't like it. i see what you're saying though.

i think if you wanted to have a proper petition it should be to have the ability to turn the sense ui off/on/uninstall completely. at the end of the day though i would just buy a phone that came the way i wanted it. also, if you're so into modding your phone then just wait for root. i'm sure the ability to get rid of sense will be one of the first things they do.

if you enjoy telling other people how their phones should run just buy an iphone. :icon_evil:

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't understand your point of view. First you rag on Custom UIs, and now OS differences? Did you really mean OS not "Custom UI" in your OP?

R

Romple

Meh /thread. The point of Android is to be the opposite of iPhone's OS. We have choices. There's always going to be a phone with a vanilla brand of Android. There's always going to be phones with heavy UI overlays. There's probably going to be some phones with some fairly radical fundamental OS changes.

That's Android. Welcome to awesome.

OP
S

sroach23

Reaction score
im talking about the stuff like motoblur and sense that delays the ota updates to newer operating systems.

iPirate

Reaction score
An option would be nice. If the Motorola Shadow has moto blur that will suck IMO...

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
im talking about the stuff like motoblur and sense that delays the ota updates to newer operating systems.

That doesn't delay it. The company does. Whether custom UI or not, its up to the company to port the current OS.

You have a very inaccurate view of how things work with Android.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I believe it goes from Google to Motorola, then to Verizon for their okay.

SpykeZ

Reaction score
Signing a petition to stop makers from adding their own UI goes against everything android is, OPEN SOURCE, meaning, do what you want. People complaining about at&t adding yahoo stuff to the phone? Where is it set in stone that android phones can only use google stuff?

I hate yahoo as much as the next person but complaining about people taking advantage of the open sourceness contradicts the whole point of the android OS, this goes for adding their own custom UI for the phone.

How about this, instead of whining about the custom UI for the phone, go scream in a mirror cause you BOUGHT a phone with a custom UI. No one said you had to buy that phone nor did anyone say you had to get an android.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Correct. the original poster apparently thinks that Google makes an update and we just "get" it. Thats nowhere near how it works.