Carrier bloatware - lets petition carriers to allow us to uninstall what we don't use

jroal

Reaction score
All:

I started a thread here: https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/768303?start=0&tstart=0 about the topic of bloatware. Of course this is watched closely by Verizon which is why I posted there. I have a few people (I believe they are Verizon employees) that are arguing with me over bloatware. They claim it is a good thing and I just need to get used to it. They claim that 99% of customers don't mind it at all and I am strange for complaining about it.

I am trying to convince Verizon that locking bloatware to our phones actually hurts them and the app developers of the bloatware. It provides no value to anyone at all including the phone manufacturer, the app developer, the wireless carrier, and least of all us customers. In fact, based on Android Market ratings for bloatware apps, there are many very upset folks like me that just want to be able to uninstall it. The only voice we seem to have is bad app ratings but that is not enough I guess. So, I could use some support. Lets petition Verizon to stop installing preinstalled apps in the system/app directory which requires root access to uninstall. All I ask is that they put the preinstalled apps in the default location where we can uninstall what we don't use. That is not too much to ask and it will help everyone involved.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
Although I agree fully. It will never happen. Verizon is making a pretty penny on all the garbage they put in our phones. And making that garbage permanent is the only way to continue to make those big advertising dollars.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
jroal

jroal

Reaction score
They don't make a cent on advertising in an app that nobody uses to see and click the ads. Also, I have asked some of the app developers that created the bloatware apps and they claim that they do not ask the apps be locked to the device. So, as I pointed out in the thread (I know it is getting long) there is no value to anyone to make the apps so they can't be uninstalled. Do you have any evidence that Verizon has any motivation to lock these apps? Is there any proof of this myth anywhere? I would really like to see it. I am not necessarily saying it is not true but so far I see no evidence it is a fact and I would like to see any information anyone can provide. I really want to understand this value stream and how the money changes hands between these companies. How much approximately is Verizon getting? Preinstalling I get. Locking I don't get. Do they really thing that if we cant uninstall we will somehow submit and just start using the bloatware? Seriously. Think that through. It make no sense at all.