will gingerbread really change the ui that much?

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be negative, really. Im rooted and i'm loving the desire Z rom right now (its like a whole new os), i also like the acer liquid rom.
I just have a feeling like not much will change, if it doesnt its not a big deal because my phone already is super advanced

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
i want to think gingerbread will make the android ui way cooler and more intuitive by making it more like webos
Where are you getting this notion from? If you have unrealistic expectations then you're going to be disappointed. This sort of thing always seems to happen to people hyping up new devices, new apps, updates, etc. I can dream up all sorts of things that I want the next Android update to include but that doesn't mean that they will be part of that upgrade.

If you're going to rely on rumors then take them with a grain of salt. Nothing is final until the product is ready for release. Things can and do change while in the pipeline.

Also, if you want WebOS then why aren't you using WebOS?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, what can you change about homescreens and notification bars? Homescreens are meant to be blank for the user to change to what they want, and the notification bar is darn near perfect anyway.

Why change what is already good.

Now, when it comes to the dialer, messaging, etc, that is where you will prob see the difference. Imagine the gallery, but that type of UI refined and EVERYWHERE. That will probably be what gingerbread will be like.

Sent from my Droid

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
i guess i have been basing my ideas off rumors, so i shouldnt believe anything they say. and i dont like webos, but the rumors were saying they would give it a new look thats something similar to webos.
and if they change the apps and stuff then i guess that'll be cool

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
2.2 was a yawner? Flash and tether and a massive speed improvement.

I'd expect Google to focus more on the OS and some of the UI. I'm not sure why they would worry too much about music apps and the like. It's an open platform so why not let the market largely take care of providing apps? Why waste time trying to create an app that is all things to all people, or multiple apps to satisfy different preferences? I use Tunewikki, but I don't get what is wrong with all the music apps out there.

I say Google is going to stick with the OS and apps related to Google services.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
2.2 was a yawner? Flash and tether and a massive speed improvement.

I'd expect Google to focus more on the OS and some of the UI. I'm not sure why they would worry too much about music apps and the like. It's an open platform so why not let the market largely take care of providing apps? Why waste time trying to create an app that is all things to all people, or multiple apps to satisfy different preferences? I use Tunewikki, but I don't get what is wrong with all the music apps out there.

I say Google is going to stick with the OS and apps related to Google services.

Well there isn't much to the OS, besides the system apps, which I'm sure they will be redoing to look to match the gallery. At least I hope. And with most of google's apps going towards the market, they can update them however and whenever they want, so that doesn't have to rely on os updates.

Sent from my Droid

StupidGenius

Reaction score
Well there isn't much to the OS, besides the system apps, which I'm sure they will be redoing to look to match the gallery. At least I hope. And with most of google's apps going towards the market, they can update them however and whenever they want, so that doesn't have to rely on os updates.

Sent from my Droid

There was talk about hardware acceleration. Have you heard anything along those lines? If so, would that be OEM dependent or is it possible for the OS to cover all handsets?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Most of us here are rooted and running custom roms and themes. so what is the big deal if we dont get an update. enjoy trying other roms and themes and possibly make your own. Droidforums.net helped me and gave me a wealth of knowledge and access to brighter minds who know what they are doing. im satisfied with my ui and enjoy tweaking it to my likes. oh and for those not rooted i could understand your anxiousness for an update but rooting and romming are so much fun that you wont care about an update.

Would it shock you to find out that the majority of members are not rooted? You see them come out whenever an update comes out.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

There was talk about hardware acceleration. Have you heard anything along those lines? If so, would that be OEM dependent or is it possible for the OS to cover all handsets?

This is beyond me. I really don't know so much as far as this goes.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

You know more than I do, but either I don't fully understand or I didn't make my point clear.

Google should focus on the OS and speed and battery improvements, file management (for example, allowing users to rank order and schedule internet updates for readers, weather, widgets, etc...through the OS instead of individual apps). They could get a lot better with email (technically it would be an app, but a stock widget to integrate corp, gmail, and other email would be nice). The UI has been mentioned.

And that's not mentioning a host of other things they can do to continue to improve speech recognition and voice-to-text. Ambient settings making use of a gyroscope, etc. There is literally tons of improvements and new features that can be added to the OS. How about that FM radio transmitter? Locale and Tasker are pretty good, but IMO that's something that should be a stock capability integrated into the core OS. One of my pet peaves is that you still can't "schedule" a change in display brightness (at least with Locale and some other programs) to take auto effect without putting the phone into sleep and back on.

There's still a lot of features and capabilities lacking in the OS (not to say it isn't very good, but always more that can be done). That's where their focus needs to be and then developers can integrate that into apps we probably can't imagine right now.

Here's a sweet feature they could add: voice recognition unlock. Record me saying "unlock" and then no need to swipe or enter a passcode to unlock your phone. Another annoying feature is that there are times I want to disable the lock screen feature (at home) and have it automatically enable when I leave (location based). It was a buggy feature in the past and now I think it's not possible since Froyo.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

You know more than I do, but either I don't fully understand or I didn't make my point clear.

Google should focus on the OS and speed and battery improvements, file management (for example, allowing users to rank order and schedule internet updates for readers, weather, widgets, etc...through the OS instead of individual apps). They could get a lot better with email (technically it would be an app, but a stock widget to integrate corp, gmail, and other email would be nice). The UI has been mentioned.

And that's not mentioning a host of other things they can do to continue to improve speech recognition and voice-to-text. Ambient settings making use of a gyroscope, etc. There is literally tons of improvements and new features that can be added to the OS. How about that FM radio transmitter? Locale and Tasker are pretty good, but IMO that's something that should be a stock capability integrated into the core OS. One of my pet peaves is that you still can't "schedule" a change in display brightness (at least with Locale and some other programs) to take auto effect without putting the phone into sleep and back on.

There's still a lot of features and capabilities lacking in the OS (not to say it isn't very good, but always more that can be done). That's where their focus needs to be and then developers can integrate that into apps we probably can't imagine right now.

Here's a sweet feature they could add: voice recognition unlock. Record me saying "unlock" and then no need to swipe or enter a passcode to unlock your phone. Another annoying feature is that there are times I want to disable the lock screen feature (at home) and have it automatically enable when I leave (location based). It was a buggy feature in the past and now I think it's not possible since Froyo.

Oh, I understand what you are saying, but I was just saying that all those things that you mentioned as nice things to add would be added to systems apps :p

I mean, little features here and there and improvements on certain things would definitely be welcomed. I just also see them improving the looks of everything, and making it all look more streamlined with each other and less like the phone/mms/etc were just thrown into the phone.

OldguyMark

Reaction score
Wow, talk about being pessimistic. And who waited 6 months for the last update?

;)

LOL - Hook - since I was the only one who included some 'time frame'
I guess you must be talking to me ... .

I was just being a wiseguy - You are a mod here, and you of all people know that as the rumors of the roll out of Gingerbread start to come on ... how many threads you will have to close, merge, and move .... Then we'll get the up date, and everyone will complain about how it jammed their phone up :):):icon_evil:

bigee1212

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

This is beyond me. I really don't know so much as far as this goes.

i believe it is possible for the OS to cover the handsets, im basing this off the fact that the new opera mobile has hardware acceleration, and this isnt enabled by the OEM, but the app itself. i could be wrong tho.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, talk about being pessimistic. And who waited 6 months for the last update?

;)

LOL - Hook - since I was the only one who included some 'time frame'
I guess you must be talking to me ... .

I was just being a wiseguy - You are a mod here, and you of all people know that as the rumors of the roll out of Gingerbread start to come on ... how many threads you will have to close, merge, and move .... Then we'll get the up date, and everyone will complain about how it jammed their phone up :):):icon_evil:
I've never heard of such a thing.. :icon_ devil: