New Android UI Coming on Gingerbread?

ChefGregg89

Reaction score
TechCrunch is reporting that a major UI(user interface) overhaul is in store for the next Android release, rumored to be titled Gingerbread. The overall goal is to remove the desire from manufacturers to want to put their own skin over the standard Google Experience and to come closer to the polished feel of the enemy’s iOS. When we talk about “skins” we’re referring to HTC’s SenseUI and Motorola’s Motoblur which over time have received feedback from all over the map. Some love them, some really hate them. Google hopes to make them “pointless.”
This news shouldn’t come as a complete surprise either after seeing Google’s signing of Palm’s Web OS designer, Matias Duarte.
Thoughts on some major user experience changes? Is standard Android too plain? Do we need more flash?
Source: TechCrunch

New Android UI Coming on Gingerbread? | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I see nothing with it. I tried Sense UI, I tried Blur, I didnt have a problem with either. As long as it helps with the user experience and doesnt make it worse, is user friendly, I welcome it.

Jeremy556

Reaction score
I see nothing with it. I tried Sense UI, I tried Blur, I didnt have a problem with either. As long as it helps with the user experience and doesnt make it worse, is user friendly, I welcome it.
Not so good when it delays updates for 6 months.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

^This. If Google is the one in control of the UI, it shouldn't delay updates (thus helping with fragmentation). I like it.

nateccnn

Reaction score
I want choices. I moved from WinMo over to Android because it gave me choices. I hope they don't try to take that away from me by normalizing the UI. If anything, they should just create a repository for all the available UIs and let people install whatever they want. Oh, wait...is that the Market? LOL

Nate

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I like the idea, but I think its probably more of something they may try for future updates. They still working on getting froyo to devices so I do not expect that to be out until maybe October, unless a dev puts the idea in a rom or home app.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to see how they're going to polish it. It's getting there!!

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

^This. If Google is the one in control of the UI, it shouldn't delay updates (thus helping with fragmentation). I like it.

I really would like something a little more appealing in the stock experience, since I don't plan on buying a phone with a custom UI on it. I like my updates ASAP.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I figured this would happen a while back.........it's a smart move.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I really would like something a little more appealing in the stock experience, since I don't plan on buying a phone with a custom UI on it. I like my updates ASAP.

+1 on ASAP Updates. Plenty of ways and tools already available to let each user customize their phone how they want to.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
And with every phone running the same version of Android with the same UI, we the consumers can concentrate solely on who has the best hardware and which network we prefer. No more wondering whether or not your brand new Android phone is going to be a year behind Google updates just because of something silly like Sense.

eliassami5

Reaction score
If Google is implementing the UI into the Android OS then updating wouldn't be any different than it is now with plain Android. I welcome any improvements that Gingerbread has to offer.