will gingerbread really change the ui that much?

tktouch12

Reaction score
i want to think gingerbread will make the android ui way cooler and more intuitive by making it more like webos and adding cool updated apps for music and stuff. but, i have a feeling like they might replace some icons and might change some images in apps and theme it a bit differently, but basic functionality wont really change.

Does anyone else have a sinking feeling like this?

i mean, gingerbread was originally though to pretty much replace everything adding a ton new functions and "eliminate the need for 3rd party ui's"
i dont really have much to base this fear off, but i just have a feeling not much will change (no cool new stock apps(music bigtime!)..? (besides maybe youtube, which is already out..))?

am i wrong?

i just want to see what others think. thanks

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I actually agree with you. Maybe we'll be wrong but it seems to me that not much has changed. At least from that one blurry screenshot on phandroid. Maybe the overhaul won't happen until Honeycomb.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
i hope we're wrong but, probably not. that screenshot was pretty depressing.

does anyone else agree?

OldguyMark

Reaction score
Most likely this gingerbread thing will turn into another six months (at least) of multiple threads of rumors and speculation ... then we'll all be disappointed like we were with the last two 'upgrades.' :) :icon_evil: :rolleyes:

EgooEspada

Reaction score
i want to think gingerbread will make the android ui way cooler and more intuitive by making it more like webos and adding cool updated apps for music and stuff. but, i have a feeling like they might replace some icons and might change some images in apps and theme it a bit differently, but basic functionality wont really change.

Does anyone else have a sinking feeling like this?

i mean, gingerbread was originally though to pretty much replace everything adding a ton new functions and "eliminate the need for 3rd party ui's"
i dont really have much to base this fear off, but i just have a feeling not much will change (no cool new stock apps(music bigtime!)..? (besides maybe youtube, which is already out..))?

am i wrong?

i just want to see what others think. thanks

The GUI may get a minor upgrade, but the UI will surely get some changes. A lot smoother, intuitive navigation, consistency and surely some more. Other than that, just the usual speed upgrade, better battery managing, etc.

broosewee

Reaction score
I'm not too disappointed if gingerbread doesn't bring a visual overhaul. Sure, obvious improvements will come to the base system and that's great in itself.
What I'm really excited about is the supposed gaming revolution coming to Android with the release of 3.0. It should bring the goods and from what the PSP phone looks like so far, it has massive potential.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Yeah but from what I've been seeing, Gingerbread is 2.3 and Honeycomb is 3.0 so that gaming change could be a while off. Maybe the overhaul will come in 3.0 since it's also going to address tablets as well.

F

FrostyG

Probably going to be another yawning update just like 2.2 like your saying

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow, talk about being pessimistic. And who waited 6 months for the last update?

You now what the problem is here? Everyone expects their phone to act like a computer. That and the fact that for many of you this is your first smart phone experience. I suppose the iPhone compares with an Android phone but when you put them up against other smart phones like the Blackberry Storm you really get a sense of what a good smart phone is.

And frequency of updates. With the Storm we did have to wait for 6 months for an OTA upgrade. MOTO Droid had an update a few days after it's release, on a month later, another about 4 months we got 2,1 and 3 months after that 2.2. Every upgrade was better then the previous one. Now your talking about Gingerbread with skepacism. I honestly believe that no matter what they give us for many of you it won't be good enough.

Anyway its still too early to talk about Gingerbread. We are still in the acceptance phase of 2.2. I'm anxious to see Gingerbreads arrival. I'm not going to be negative, I'm going to be grateful just to get it. I'm also going to be patient.;)

Kack

Reaction score
Most of us here are rooted and running custom roms and themes. so what is the big deal if we dont get an update. enjoy trying other roms and themes and possibly make your own. Droidforums.net helped me and gave me a wealth of knowledge and access to brighter minds who know what they are doing. im satisfied with my ui and enjoy tweaking it to my likes. oh and for those not rooted i could understand your anxiousness for an update but rooting and romming are so much fun that you wont care about an update.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I mean I love my Droid. However, I just think that the overhaul would be nice. I love new technology and updates. I don't think we've had to wait too long for most of the updates. I mean Google's releasing them quickly, Motorola on the other hand is a different story. I am rooted so I had them before they even released them. I'm just curious to see what's upcoming and from the screenshot 2.3 didn't look much different. I just thought there were going to be major changes, that's all.

Kack

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I mean I love my Droid. However, I just think that the overhaul would be nice. I love new technology and updates. I don't think we've had to wait too long for most of the updates. I mean Google's releasing them quickly, Motorola on the other hand is a different story. I am rooted so I had them before they even released them. I'm just curious to see what's upcoming and from the screenshot 2.3 didn't look much different. I just thought there were going to be major changes, that's all.

yea i guess you cant go wrong with new things.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not concerned with the look, but the underlying UI programming.

smaller, faster, better, but we can only choose two of three. hehehehe :)

I'll still likely throw ADW over it.