So, I was thinking about using verizon a little..

RevivaL

Reaction score
So, I got my droid about a month and a half ago, and I've loved every second of it. It wasn't my first choice of phone, however. I was originally going to grab the incredible, but of course when I went to get it, the guys at best buy had no idea when it was going to be available.

Recently, my mom told me she was thinking about getting an upgrade - which sparked my idea. I've already asked her if she would get an incredible, then give it to me and she can just take my droid, but I think she wants a BB. so, this leaves her bf, which has had the same phone for 6 years now and has no intensions of upgrading. Then that got me to think - what if I asked him to order the incredible, saying I want to get the phone but I'm not sure if I want to use it right away etc ( or just make up some bs about the backorder of it) and then just give it to me.

Any ideas on if this would actually work? Would be pretty sick if it did, but I'm not sure.

edit - So everyone is clear, myself and him ARE NOT, I repeat ARE NOT on the same plan.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i guess it could work, but there's no way to avoid the extra $30/mo tagged onto the phone.

unless you eliminate the Droid's line.

OP
R

RevivaL

Reaction score
i guess it could work, but there's no way to avoid the extra $30/mo tagged onto the phone.

unless you eliminate the Droid's line.
well i was planning on just using the incredible, and selling my droid or just keeping it to have and mess around with. my only concern is he might get tagged with the $30 data, but if he's not using the phone, then he won't need it.

OP
R

RevivaL

Reaction score
i know the plan's going to get activated. and i don't mind eating the 30 charge for the first month. why wouldn't he be able to call and say "oh no i don't like it etc, I want to go back to my normal plan"

rlacsamana1989

Reaction score
He can't buy the Inc without activating the data plan. Your idea will not work.

Try and trade your phone for a blackberry that your mom wants to get and see if she be up for that. Only other way to do it as your moms boyfriend will be stuck with the $30 data plan for 2 years.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
You are buying the phone at a greatly reduced price and Verizon will force you to be on the data plan for 2 years. It the same as when you bought your droid and signed the new contract. If you drop the plan you will have to pay an early termination fee.

Nealius

Reaction score
i know the plan's going to get activated. and i don't mind eating the 30 charge for the first month. why wouldn't he be able to call and say "oh no i don't like it etc, I want to go back to my normal plan"

I'm kinda confused on what exact what you are trying to do. But if the BF doesnt like the phone before 30 days are up and wants to go back to his normal plan. Verizon will want the INC back. or he will have to pay the Termination fee. Which for a new droid is $325.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Your plan will work with a small change.

Pay full retail on the DI....

bje1982

Reaction score
Your idea would work. You could have him upgrade then switch back to his old phone which would remove the data plan then you could activate it on your line. You dont sign a contract for data FYI

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Your idea would work. You could have him upgrade then switch back to his old phone which would remove the data plan then you could activate it on your line. You dont sign a contract for data FYI

You are wrong, it won't work. If you buy a smartphone at a subsidized price, you sign a contract for 2 years. You can't just drop the data after a month.

bje1982

Reaction score

You are wrong, it won't work. If you buy a smartphone at a subsidized price, you sign a contract for 2 years. You can't just drop the data after a month.

Really? Ever heard of an alternate upgrade? you only have to keep the data if you have a smartphone so if he upgrades and switches back to a non smartphone the data goes bye bye. and you do not sign a contract for data just for the line, I do this for customers at least 3 times a day at my Verizon store.

If he did do that the line he uses the upgrade on will have a new contract. Thanks for your imput but you are wrong.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Lets play nice.....