SMTP setting for road runner e-mail

IN AWE

Reaction score
Delete the account and start over? Thats all I got. Good luck.

Jenlo

Reaction score
username and password required

I have been having trouble all month with outgoing messages (no problem receiving) and once I checked the "require sign-in" box and added my username/password as suggested in post above, Wah-Lah...it works fine.

Of course, this is after getting on the phone with RR and them telling me that Verizon probably had some special encrypted port or something I would need to add ;)

dsully

Reaction score
Success! I thought I had tried all the combinations already but I guess not. It seems to be working now.

SMTP server: smtp-server.cinci.rr.com (insert your locality in the place of cinci)
Port: 587
Security type: None
Require sign-in: checked
Username: [email protected]
Password: *****************

Thanks all!

Until Today, I had only been able to recieve email from my maine.rr.com account when I was away from the house and I had no ability to SEND. I atributed this to being on the RR network at home and for the most part on different networks when away from house.

It seems that checking "require sign-in" and adding username and password to outgoing settings has corrected my issue and now able to TX/RX from none roadrunner/time warner networks, including verizon wireless.

thanks

Riveyman

Reaction score
Had trouble with mine too, did a quick search and found this thread. It worked!! thanks for the thread. Saved me a lot of time. Just have to have the full address.

psustan

Reaction score
Incidently, I think the full username@domain is required any time you are not using a RR network. I remember having to do this last summer when I took my home laptop on vacation, and then I had to switch it back to just the username when I got back home. I guess this is supposed to make it more secure? Just a pain, really.

Bob_Stan

Reaction score
I had to delete the existing account and then re-enter everything as described above (being sure to use manual setup) and it started sending correctly on my primary email account. Thanks to all for the tips.:)

droidzilla

Reaction score
for road runner email the incoming server is pop3 so you should have it like this pop-server.gt.rr.com, next the out going server is smtp so it will look like this smtp-server.gt.rr.com..This is what mine looks like just change the gt to what ever your local server is.

Last edited:

jc95164

Reaction score
I am having trouble getting outbound e-mail working for my road runner e-mail account. I am able to receive e-mail, but I can't get the device to accept my SMTP settings. The settings are:

SMTP server: smtp-server.cinci.rr.com

Whether or not I check "Require Sign In" and enter my username/pw, the result is the same.

A google search seems to indicate that this has been an issue for iPhone and Pre users in the past, but none of the proposed fixes for those devices seem to work.

Are there any road runner users that have overcome this issue yet?

This is a problem with Road Runner. One solution that works for me is to use a Hotmail account Outgoing Server settings on my Road Runner outgoing account. The Sent email will show that it came from your RR account.

If you don't have a Hotmail account, create one first on your desktop/laptop. Once you have the Hotmail Account, go to Account Settings for your RR account. Open the "OUTGOING SERVER SETTINGS".

use the following settings:

SMTP Server: smtp.live.com
Security Type: TLS
Require Check-in: add check-mark
Then enter your Hotmail User Name and password and hit "next"

You should be able to send email from your RR account now.

cincysaab95

Reaction score
Having trouble with Roadrunner(cinci) smpt

Success! I thought I had tried all the combinations already but I guess not. It seems to be working now.

SMTP server: smtp-server.cinci.rr.com (insert your locality in the place of cinci)
Security type: None
Require sign-in: checked
Username: [email protected]
Password: *****************

Thanks all!
Thanks for the above information. I'm using a Droid X and MUST be doing something incorrectly. Spoke with Time Warner (Roadrunner) in Cincinnati and they are saying STMP isn't supported unless on rr's network. Spoke with Verizon and they do not have an outgoing STMP server. On the Droid unlike the phone above it does not give me an option to require sign-in the boxes available at the bottom are: use secure connection or verify certificate. I've tried checking each individually and independently and both hose up incoming server. Also, incoming server (pop-server.cinci.rr.com) works just fine. Very dumbfounded. Please help if possible. Thanks in advance.

cincysaab95

Reaction score
What are your current settings ?
Thanks for asking. On the Droid X under accounts it is set up as follows:
GENERAL SETTINGS:
Account name: Roadrunner
email address: my email [email protected]
INCOMING SERVER:
pop mail server
Server: pop-server.cinci.rr.com
Port: 110
Username: my email [email protected]
Password: my password
below have choice of: use secure connection or verify certificate
OUTGOING SERVER:
smtp-server.cinci.rr.com
Port: currently 587 however, I have tried 25 & 40 something previously
Username: my email [email protected]
Password: my password
below have choice of: use secure connection or verify certificate
I have added and deleted account numerous times.
If I choose secure connection it blocks incoming e-mail. Hope this info is helpful. Thanks much.

opie8362

Reaction score
Thanks cincysaab...I'm using the X also and was wondering why mine didn't have the 'require sign in' button everyone keeps referring to. I'm also having trouble with outbound email only. Incoming works fine, but with the outbound it bounces back with an authentication error. Have tried checking both the secure connection and verify certificate boxes on their own and together to no avail. Changed ports back and forth from 25 (default) to 587...nada. I've also removed and re-installed the account setup several times.

Settings for incoming and outgoing are exactly what they are in my outlook account on my desktop:

Incoming
server: pop-server.tampabay.rr.com
port: 110
username: [email protected]
password: xxx
use secure connection: not checked
verify certificate: not checked

Outgoing:
server: [email protected]
port: 25

Thoughts or suggestions? After reading about the hours many of you have spent with both Verizon and B-house with no answers, I haven't headed down that path yet. Thanks!

cincysaab95

Reaction score
Thanks cincysaab...I'm using the X also and was wondering why mine didn't have the 'require sign in' button everyone keeps referring to. I'm also having trouble with outbound email only. Incoming works fine, but with the outbound it bounces back with an authentication error. Have tried checking both the secure connection and verify certificate boxes on their own and together to no avail. Changed ports back and forth from 25 (default) to 587...nada. I've also removed and re-installed the account setup several times.

Settings for incoming and outgoing are exactly what they are in my outlook account on my desktop:

Incoming
server: pop-server.tampabay.rr.com
port: 110

Outgoing:
server: [email protected]
port: 25

Thoughts or suggestions? After reading about the hours many of you have spent with both Verizon and B-house with no answers, I haven't headed down that path yet. Thanks!
Unfortunately, I've been down that finger pointing road with both Verizon and Roadrunner - in total, I've spent about 2.5 hours trying to work this out. Years ago, I had a Motorola Q and back then, Verizon had an outgoing SMTP server available for use. After speaking with several 'techs' at Verizon, that outgoing server no longer exists. As for Roadrunner, they're completely clueless. The only suggestion they could give me was to use webmail! That solution/suggestion isn't going to work for me.
If I don't find answers on forums, I'm planning to go to my local VZW store on Monday to see if they have any solutions/suggestions. If I discover anything, I certainly will post. Good luck to you.