SMTP setting for road runner e-mail

bfwilliams14

Reaction score
road runner email set up

Any recommendations on how to get my South Carolina Road runner email to "finish set-up" I keep getting a message that it is "unable to open connection to server. " I have the port set on 110, which is what is set at on my outlook account. I have also double checked all passwords and that it is a pop3 account. Thanks for any recommendations!

IN AWE

Reaction score
I am having trouble getting outbound e-mail working for my road runner e-mail account. I am able to receive e-mail, but I can't get the device to accept my SMTP settings. The settings are:

SMTP server: smtp-server.cinci.rr.com
Port: 587

Whether or not I check "Require Sign In" and enter my username/pw, the result is the same.

A google search seems to indicate that this has been an issue for iPhone and Pre users in the past, but none of the proposed fixes for those devices seem to work.

Are there any road runner users that have overcome this issue yet?

After username in "Require sign in" I had to put @socal.rr.com. so try full email address instead of just username. hope it helps. Took me a while to figure mine out.
Jon

OP
Y

yardsale

Reaction score
Success! I thought I had tried all the combinations already but I guess not. It seems to be working now.

SMTP server: smtp-server.cinci.rr.com (insert your locality in the place of cinci)
Security type: None
Require sign-in: checked
Username: [email protected]
Password: *****************

Thanks all!

mjw702

Reaction score
I got RR email on Droid then lost it the next day

This has happened twice to me this week since I followed these postings and set up the settings to receive email through Road Runner. I haven't even bothered to send yet because for most of the time RR says its looking for more messages but the screen is blank.

jgkauf

Reaction score
RR outbound setting

Spent hours trying things.
deleted all accounts and started over, seems the key might be in the outbound username, (needs sign-in required) use your FULL email address, different than inbound which uses only username, also yes port 25 is also important.

jgkauf

Reaction score
smtp RR setting

delete all accounts, start over.
set outgoing main account
set port to 25
set sign-in required
TRICK username should be FULL email address, not just name as in inbound. got it working after hours of trying finally

kenckai

Reaction score
JG,

Thanking you big time for your tip about using the full email address for the user name. After spending 5 hours on the phone with technical support from both VerizonWireless & Roadrunner, I was no further along in solving my outgoing email setup problem. Something that simple, you would think that the support staffs for these huge companies would have a clue. Unbelieveable incompetence! Thanks again & Happy Holidays!

IN AWE

Reaction score
Here is the key

Success! I thought I had tried all the combinations already but I guess not. It seems to be working now.

SMTP server: smtp-server.cinci.rr.com (insert your locality in the place of cinci)
Password: *****************

Thanks all!

Last edited:

paulmac

Reaction score
Has Road Runner changed something? I noticed today that I replied to a couple of rr e-mails on the droid and they went out. That is they did not sit in the outbox. Cool!!! :icon_ banana:

SmartKnowledge

Reaction score
How to setup Road Runner E-mail on your Droid

Select the E-mail app obviously I know "lol" press the menu button and select add account
Enter your email adress and password
then select Manual Setup (not Next)
select POP3
Then enter pop-server.cinci.rr.com (insert your locality instead of cinci. EX: stny.rr.com, or sc.rr.com, whatever yours is)
so you should have

Username:*********
Password:**********
POP3 server : as entered above
Port 110
Delete email from sever: your choice

Now select Next

This is all the incoming server so you will get the outgoing server next which reads

Password: *****************" make sure it is type correctly

SMTP section credits to Yardsdale

duke6619

Reaction score
Spent hours on the phone with Verizon and Motorola with no success. This is definitely the solution.
A BIG THANK YOU

emsrph

Reaction score
Yep that full name on the outgoing server did it! Works now. Thanks guys.

Eric

tech6

Reaction score
How do you add an additional email account when going to the email icon it doesn't show add account or give you a choice to do a manual addition. I get nothing but access to the two that I have which are aol and gmail. So, where do you go on the phone to gain access to add more email accounts. I understand you can have 6, but I'm stuck with just the two. Also, would I be able to delete my gmail account? The store rep made it sound as if I needed it for service.

sswearingen

Reaction score
Originally had issues with outgoing server with roadrunner account. Problem solved with full address(****@satx.rr.com) in the outgoing username section. Great! However, I was also having problems with the phone muting while on calls and randomly dropped calls :( Took it to the local verizon store....they updated to 2.0.1 firmware and guess what...the work around for the smtp road runner server no longer works. Tried various ports but to no avail...any suggestions?