Yahoo Mail won't send

OMEGA5

Reaction score
I have Yahoo mail set up on my Droid as it's my primary email, but when I compose a message on the phone and try to send it, it fails every time. Any idead about this? Do I just have one of the settings wrong?

my outgoing settings are, smtp server: smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com Port: 587 and security type: none. I just use the yahoo free mail. Do I have to get the premium to get it to send? What is the problem?

brianr0131

Reaction score
I have Yahoo mail set up on my Droid as it's my primary email, but when I compose a message on the phone and try to send it, it fails every time. Any idead about this? Do I just have one of the settings wrong?

my outgoing settings are, smtp server: smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com Port: 587 and security type: none. I just use the yahoo free mail. Do I have to get the premium to get it to send? What is the problem?

Yahoo will not work if your wifi is on. Everyone thinks they can turn it off then set it up and then turn it back on again and not have problems.

You need to either turn your wifi off of get a new email provider.

OP
OMEGA5

OMEGA5

Reaction score
I don't use my phones wi-fi. So that definitely shouldn't be the issue...

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
I know this isnt a fix for your problem but I just use the mail.yahoo.com website for my Y acct. Granted I dont get notifications but it is my first bookmark and I check it frequently.

Never have a problem sending or receiving this way.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I've been using Yahoo on my MotoDroid since day one, when I found the forum posts on how to set it up. No problems receiving, but the first time I ever sent an email using it, I ended up with about 60 identical emails in my sent folder when it went out. The person I sent it to never mentioned getting it 60 times, so I never figured out exactly what happened to get them all in the sent folder.

Have you followed the instructions exactly on setting up Yahoo?

OP
OMEGA5

OMEGA5

Reaction score
problem fixed. On the outgoing settingsI didn't have the login required checked. I did that and it sent fine.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I've been using Yahoo on my MotoDroid since day one, when I found the forum posts on how to set it up.

Can you point me to the forum that tells how to set it up? Thanks!

I don't remember where the forum was (didn't save it), but I saved the instructions. Here's a copy/paste of the ones that worked for me - follow them exactly and you shouldn't have any trouble:

To set up Yahoo E-Mail on the Motorola Droid:

1. Make sure Wi-Fi is turned off
2. Press the E-Mail icon (the default Android E-Mail application)
2a. Press menu then add account
3. Enter your Yahoo E-Mail address and password
4. Press “Manual Setup” in the lower left hand corner
4a. Press IMAP
5. For “Incoming Server Settings” set the IMAP server to “imap.mail.yahoo.com” and the Port to 143
6. For “Outgoing Server Settings” set the SMTP Server to “smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com” and the Port to 587
7. Check “Require sign-in” and press Next
8. Select how often your Droid will check for Email, and choose default options
9. Give the account a name and set your display name for outgoing messages

Caniac Nation

Reaction score
Give up on Yahoo. Unless you have Yahoo Plus, it simply won't work consistently.

spower

Reaction score
I've been using Yahoo on my MotoDroid since day one, when I found the forum posts on how to set it up.

I don't remember where the forum was (didn't save it), but I saved the instructions. Here's a copy/paste of the ones that worked for me - follow them exactly and you shouldn't have any trouble:

4a. Press IMAP
5. For “Incoming Server Settings” set the IMAP server to “imap.mail.yahoo.com” and the Port to 143
6. For “Outgoing Server Settings” set the SMTP Server to “smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com” and the Port to 587

Yup! That worked, thank you!!!

Caniac Nation

Reaction score

4a. Press IMAP

Let us know if this works consistently. This worked for me once and continues to work only if I power down and turn back on my Droid, but not while the Droid is on. I never have wifi on.

ytwokc5

Reaction score
My setup is the same as what's posted above except for step 6
6. For “Outgoing Server Settings” set the SMTP Server to “smtp.mail.yahoo.com” and the Port to 587

just using smtp.mail.yahoo.com and I can send with no problem.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score

4a. Press IMAP

Let us know if this works consistently. This worked for me once and continues to work only if I power down and turn back on my Droid, but not while the Droid is on. I never have wifi on.

It's been working consistently for me for over two weeks now, no power downs required. Every single email has come through.

The only quirk I've had was in replying to an email - for some reason, about 60 copies of my sent message showed up in my "sent" folder. It only happened once, and the person who received it didn't get 60, only one. Hopefully just a solitary act of weirdness.

Caniac Nation

Reaction score

It's been working consistently for me for over two weeks now, no power downs required. Every single email has come through.

The only quirk I've had was in replying to an email - for some reason, about 60 copies of my sent message showed up in my "sent" folder. It only happened once, and the person who received it didn't get 60, only one. Hopefully just a solitary act of weirdness.[/QUOTE]

I think you're in the minority (unless you have Yahoo Plus). I have the same settings as everyone else, but I refuse to pay for Yahoo Plus to make it work for me. Droid issues with Yahoo email are widely known and documented, especially on the Verizon Android forum.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I think you're in the minority (unless you have Yahoo Plus). I have the same settings as everyone else, but I refuse to pay for Yahoo Plus to make it work for me. Droid issues with Yahoo email are widely known and documented, especially on the Verizon Android forum.

Nope, no Yahoo Plus. Just regular old Yahoo mail. I guess I never realized I was supposed to be having problems. :)