Simplified ICS 6.16.217 Update Guide

finndo77

Reaction score
is there anyway to get my phone back to stock or anything that it can work? or am i screwed until i get the sd card?

you should be able to follow the instructions at jsnweitzel's post. follow the link in the signature of the post above your last post. menu 1 will put Gingerbread 219 back on your phone without using an sd card.

snowyghost

Reaction score
Where did you get the files that you ran the tool with? Does your phone boot? It should be on ..219 under settings, about phone. If you flashed the razr files you will need to download the GB fastboot files and flash that to be on the right software. If you are on ...219 then that is stock official.

not sure if ur adressing me but i used the tool provided in this forum and no it boots to the duel core thing then it goes to black screen

ultima

Reaction score
ok so i thought it would be simple enough while i picked someone up drom the airport to let my bro upgrade my phone from 208 to 211

well he briked my phone...he said he read other threads b4 he started etc...i cant get into anything except fastboot if i try to select boot normal or recovery itll show the M for a sec then go into fastboot

any way to fix this?

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
you should be able to follow the instructions at jsnweitzel's post. follow the link in the signature of the post above your last post. menu 1 will put Gingerbread 219 back on your phone without using an sd card.
I dont think he can go back. He is currently on an ICS leak and I think he used rom manager to install it since he doesn't have an sd card. Now he was upgrading to another leak and after flashing 219 and the ICS kernel he could not move on to the next step (flashing the leak) because he doesnt have an sd card.

Now he has a hybrid 219 and ICS system which won't boot. He cannot get back to 219 since he has an ICS kernel, and therefore cannot revert or fastboot back to stock 219. He needs to put the ICS update on an sd card, install it on his phone, and resume flashing the leak.

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I think i was getting confused on different post..too tired. Ya to jump from one ics to another you must have a external sdcard. Fastbooting erases the cashe.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

finndo77

Reaction score
well, I think I screwed the poochie...

I flashed the 212 file, all went well, but when the phone rebooted, it organized the applications, then loaded to a screen with no home application (the setup wizard that I am used to seeing on first boot in GB was not there, nor any variant there of. I have a notification bar, and I can access parts of the phone from there (USB mode, but not settings to activate debugging... nor installed apps)

Going to try a reboot...

never mind, there was a settings icon at the top of the notification bar... going to mess a round a bit and see if I can trigger the setup apk...

***Update***
30 seconds later...
got the debug mode activated, so I was able to run ICS root, no errors.

three reboots later, and the phone booted to a setup wizard... :)

me like...
now to do some configuring before heading to bed, hope my wife is happy tomorrow... :)

total time (not including prep time of downloading all the files): 1hr 50mins
final battery life: 40%

Here is a screen shot from the install

a6f8552b-bbf9-846b.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sent from:
my recently rooted Droid 4 ICS 212 leak
dancedroid dancedroid dancedroid dancedroid dancedroid dancedroid dancedroid

finndo77

Reaction score
So, I did not say anything before now, because I thought it was a "feature" of ICS, but I am about to give the phone to my wife after spending 3 hours setting it up and adding and configuring apps, and the entire time, the "home" button did not work. It vibrates, but does nothing.

I've read side threads on it and they recommend the following fixes (none were specifically for the droid 4)
1. Reflash gingerbread stock, reroot, flash ICS again... (oh yeah, like that would work on the droid 4...)
2. Perform a factory reset (holy screwed I am, I mean I guess I could, but then I found have to find time to set it up again without her seeing it and we will be at her grandmother's house in less than an hour...)
3. Flash a GApps .zip seems to resolve it for most people who had that phone (do we even have a GApps flashable for ICS? This sounds like the last destructive option)

Any thoughts? My wife will hand it back to me as it is and say h311 no

***update
30 seconds later...
I found a gaps download from the nightly cm9 unofficial thread in this forum, it is downloading now. Any thoughts on if I should flash it?

Oh well, it is now or never, pulling in to the house...

***update again
Actually I missed my opportunity, I downloaded the file to the internal storage and didn't realize until I tried to flash it. Still hoping for some input from your more experienced. Probably won't be for 30-45 minutes before I get another chance to pull the phone out where she can not see it.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Why would you have to install GAPPS? Thats only for the CM9/Gummi/AOPK roms.

I would first start with a factory reset since that's easy. If that doesn't work then you may have to reflash 212 from recovery (you can do this since 212 is updating over itself). If that doesn't work then start from the beginning (flash 219, 212 kernel, update to 212).

I was reading on XDA that the native buttons can be disabled by changing some lines in the code. Maybe what happened when you flashed the update through recovery the settings didn't copy over correctly.

ultima

Reaction score
**** YEAH dancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroidunbricked my phone

w/ nothing working cept fastboot and laptop repeatedly saying 'device not connected' i thought i was screwed but after flashing ANYWAY for about a day i got back into recovery...flashed zip and back at setup

too scary...yesterday was not my day

finndo77

Reaction score
Well reflashing 212 failed, it failed on "verifying current system" guess I'll have to factory reset and hope it works. Sucks as I do not have the time to reconfigure the phone for her. She has no idea how to do anything on her phone, and won't setup anything on her own. She had never even downloaded an app and has used android for 3.5 years now!

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Are you sure you are on 212 then? Check your system version under "about phone"

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
The leaks should work going directly from 219 and it should be able to flash over itself. If you're getting a failure and because your home button is not working then something went wrong during the process so you may have to start over from the beginning.

finndo77

Reaction score
A factory data reset fixed the home button, although my wife is getting suspicious as I keep leaving the room for 1-2 minutes...

a6f8552b-80cc-ff5c.jpg

Oh nice Google is putting the apps back for me at least! That never worked on my gingerbread Roms with my other phones.