Simplified ICS 6.16.217 Update Guide

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Now updated for 6.16.217!
good for ppl on earlier ics builds as well.
1 Download everything and put the 217 update on your sdcard (remember to uninstall safestrap before you start and to charge up your battery as well!)
2 Fastboot install 219 with restore tool or sbf file (erase data for best results... i know this sounds wrong)
3 use unstickics tool and fastboot install kernel with 217 (let it reboot once when done)
4 install 217 via sdcard and recovery (factory reset if you want to as well) to do this hold down power and both vol keys, when menu appears use vol- to scroll and vol+ to select
5 root with tool
6 in Google Play install superuser

Phone driver
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnu1wj672nk8hpj/MotoHelper_2.1.40_Driver_5.5.0.exe

Droid4 restore Utility with .219 sbf
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-hacks/212307-droid-4-utility-updated.html

217 unsticics tool
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m780zbdpnv7101m/d4 unstuck ICS.zip

root tool
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mvnypvxg2kufdl/ics4.0root.zip

217 LEAK
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-roms/218610-ics-leak-6-16-217-update-zip-boot-img-crc.html

217 sbf
Droid-Developers SBF
with rsd
Myfishbear's Rom Server ./tools

hints/tips
to enter fastboot hold down power and both vol keys, when menu appears use vol- to scroll and vol+ to select
to reset phone hold power and vol- for like 4 seconds

Attachments

• JoshS_manhattan4.jpg
    JoshS_manhattan4.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 711
  • JoshS_manhattan5.jpg
    JoshS_manhattan5.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 758

Germanguy

Reaction score
I see that in the unstickttool there are 3 boot.img files 206, 208 and 211. So we don't have to rename the 211 file to 206 file anymore?

OP
myfishbear

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I see that in the unstickttool there are 3 boot.img files 206, 208 and 211. So we don't have to rename the 211 file to 206 file anymore?
no renameing unless you want to flash 206 kern... the script has everything named correctly and the images are truly 206,208,and 211. if u want 211 use option 2. i just figured that the old instructions were so confusing it started to become less safe so i tuned it up lol.

pilonull

Reaction score
I followed these instructions and the whole process was very simple and straight-forward. Took about 45 minutes for the whole thing.

Great Success, appreciate you taking the time to get all the stuff together and write it up.

I'm a bit sad though because I forgot to make a backup of all my settings and ****, but at least it gives me something to do while I drink this beer. Also though, I recommend everyone does a factory data reset through settings to get the freshest config possible, especially because on first boot my phone has been terribly slow.

For anyone wondering, here are the current versions in the About Phone Section:

System Version: 6.16.211.XT894.Verizon.en.US

Android Version: 4.0.4

Baseband Version: CDMA_N_05.11.01P LTEDC_U_09.11.00

Webtop Version: wt-3.0.0

Kernel Version: 3.0.8-g29cf5e7
hudsoncm@il93lnxdroid85 #1
SMP PREEMPT Thu Jun 14 13:59:07 CDT 2012

Build Number: 6.7.2-180_DR4-16_M2-31

Build Date: Thu Jun 14 13:48:28 CDT 2012

Moore2877

Reaction score
Coming from 208 and this being the first unstick i had to do, this was so easy. Good job man!

Remember to uninstall safestrap and rootkeeper still works if you are using it right.

OP
myfishbear

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I thought you cant keep root via rootkeeper when going from leak to leak because when you flash 219, the kernels, and then the update it erases rootkeeper.

How did you do it?
use the tool i provided. it roots ics 4.0.4. then you dl superuser from google play. otarootkeeper is not needed at this time. i went from 219 to 206 to 208 to 211 using this method, all were rooted.

Moore2877

Reaction score
I thought you cant keep root via rootkeeper when going from leak to leak because when you flash 219, the kernels, and then the update it erases rootkeeper.

How did you do it?

Yea I lied it doesnt work going from leak to leak.

finndo77

Reaction score
hoping my wife's D4 arrives tomorrow so I can get this on there for her before we go out of town this weekend. have a couple of questions. any release notes on what may not be working at this time in the leak? and any way around them? (example: installing an app like GO SMS because MMS won't send in the stock messaging app on leak 211 - please pay attention this was an example, I am not saying you cannot send MMS...) I would expect they are almost ready to release the OTA by now. my wife is very non-technical and doesn't like anything that does not work. so I need to be able to get everything functional before I give it to her (she doesn't even know she is getting it), I rooted her HTC Evo Shift and installed the Mik G ROM and she had no problems, so I don't think there will be an issue with this, but what ever is running on it when I give it to her will have to stay for a few months probably before I'll be able to get my hands on if again. so if anyone thinks I really should not put this on her D4, please speak now!

Moore2877

Reaction score
hoping my wife's D4 arrives tomorrow so I can get this on there for her before we go out of town this weekend. have a couple of questions. any release notes on what may not be working at this time in the leak? and any way around them? (example: installing an app like GO SMS because MMS won't send in the stock messaging app on leak 211 - please pay attention this was an example, I am not saying you cannot send MMS...) I would expect they are almost ready to release the OTA by now. my wife is very non-technical and doesn't like anything that does not work. so I need to be able to get everything functional before I give it to her (she doesn't even know she is getting it), I rooted her HTC Evo Shift and installed the Mik G ROM and she had no problems, so I don't think there will be an issue with this, but what ever is running on it when I give it to her will have to stay for a few months probably before I'll be able to get my hands on if again. so if anyone thinks I really should not put this on her D4, please speak now!
Since its your wife and probably doesnt care about the latest and greatest, I'd say wait for the OTA. Unless its secretly so you have something to play with, then i would say go for it 211 seems rock solid coming from 208.

OP
myfishbear

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
everything works on this system. id do it lol:) you just ant to kill the crap apps on it and it runs faster than gb. if you accidently delete anything you want back you can get it from my system dump or repeat the processes

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I just successfully upgraded to 211, it went a lot smoother than the upgrade from 206 to 208. I never had to redo any step, and ICS root method still works dancedroid

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to the razr tool for droid 4. I am getting a 505 too much traffic error