Simplified ICS 6.16.217 Update Guide

kenji91

Reaction score
I see that in the unstickttool there are 3 boot.img files 206, 208 and 211. So we don't have to rename the 211 file to 206 file anymore?

Can we go backwards with kernels?

I'm still not quite yet on 211 and I'm not sure if I'll be able to be, but I was on 208. If for whatever reason I wanted 206, could I flash 219, the 206 kernel, and then the 206 leak?

1989trouble07

Reaction score
Can we go backwards with kernels?

I'm still not quite yet on 211 and I'm not sure if I'll be able to be, but I was on 208. If for whatever reason I wanted 206, could I flash 219, the 206 kernel, and then the 206 leak?

Yes you can. When I was upgrading to 208 from 206 I flashed the 208 kernel, then update failed for some reason, then i flashed the kernel back to 206 to try and boot up and it did. I had to go to work so I was gonna finish the update later. Lol.

Gangrif

Reaction score
So. im on step 1, reflashing 219.

Its not finished yet, but i'm seeing things like:
FAILED (remote: ), and "writing 'cdrom' ... INFOPreflash validation failure".

Am i going to regret this?

r314bd

Reaction score
So. im on step 1, reflashing 219.

Its not finished yet, but i'm seeing things like:

Am i going to regret this?
Don't worry, that is completely normal. Some of the steps will succeed and some will fail. You'll fix that in the next steps.

Here is a more detailed (but outdated) guide which says that you will see a lot of failure messages at this step (step 7).

Gangrif

Reaction score
Don't worry, that is completely normal. Some of the steps will succeed and some will fail. You'll fix that in the next steps.

Here is a more detailed (but outdated) guide which says that you will see a lot of failure messages at this step.

Thanks. It's finished the first step, i think. i'll look over that other link, see if it gives me some more warm fuzzies. :p

JKingDev

Reaction score
use the tool i provided. it roots ics 4.0.4. then you dl superuser from google play. otarootkeeper is not needed at this time. i went from 219 to 206 to 208 to 211 using this method, all were rooted.
You have to do each in order right? I am still on 200. Looks like I have plenty work to do..

Gangrif

Reaction score
There should be a disclaimer at the top of this thread.

** WARNING: extreme nail biting ahead.

I love having the ability to muck about with my phone like this, but man... I sure is anxious when you dont have full access to your bootloader.

Gangrif

Reaction score
You have to do each in order right? I am still on 200. Looks like I have plenty work to do..

Not sure.. Step 1 has you flash GB, and then fix the kernel, and install ics. Seems like that process should work from any starting point.

Dont depend on my opinion. I'm not certain.

kenji91

Reaction score
Not sure.. Step 1 has you flash GB, and then fix the kernel, and install ics. Seems like that process should work from any starting point.

Dont depend on my opinion. I'm not certain.

Once you switch from GB to ICS, you can't go back. But my understanding is that you can hop around any of the ICS leaks from any other one (200 to 211 to 208 to 206 if you want).

Step 1 WILL come up with errors - just make sure that the only errors you get are of this variety:

If you see other errors, take note of them in case they caused a problem and post them on the boards. That's how I figured out that two of my .img files were corrupt.

JKingDev

Reaction score
Once you switch from GB to ICS, you can't go back. But my understanding is that you can hop around any of the ICS leaks from any other one (200 to 211 to 208 to 206 if you want).

Step 1 WILL come up with errors - just make sure that the only errors you get are of this variety:

If you see other errors, take note of them in case they caused a problem and post them on the boards. That's how I figured out that two of my .img files were corrupt.
Thanks. It looks like my question is a common one. It probably should be noted in any post with upgrade instructions. I think this gets asked a lot be cause I do recall reading in the past you must install the leaks in order.

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If you are still flashing the GB files try to grab a screen shot with the errors. This might help some others to know what to expect as normal errors. Just click the window and expand it. Hold down the alt key and do your screen shot. On my dell laptop I have to press the function key and F11. Then open paint or picture manager or something similar. Click paste, save and post here. I should have thought of that when I did the jump last night. The webtop part takes the longest, it's the biggest image.