Samsung's Mobile President Confirms Galaxy SII Coming to U.S. in August

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jul 20, 2011.

1. QiG

QiG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I wanted this phone over the Bionic but 4G is a deal breaker.. if its not announced with 4G before I can get my grubby little paws on a Bionic oh well... its been out worldwide all year and their loss for not getting it here in the US.

2. poooookah78

poooookah78 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm SO glad this phone is coming here finally. I don't have 4g where I live, but I can imagine that being a deal breaker if I did... however, the performance of the machine versus all other smart phones makes it something you can't ignore. I've been eligible for an upgrade for a long time now so I'm very excited about this device.

3. creaky

creaky Active Member

Ratings:
    +31
    I have no hard facts but it is my opinion that this phone will land on another carrier in August. Branded pics of the phone for AT&T have already surfaced. Who knows when VZW will get it?

I also doubt it will be LTE. As was said, the slim body would likely need to be compromised to fit an LTE radio inside and I doubt they'll do a redesign to accommodate the radio. Furthermore, if the iPhone5 is not LTE (last I heard it seemed unlikely, but who knows), why not pit the SGS2 right against it as a competing 3G phone? That way the Bionic has something that the iP5 and SGS2 don't, while the other two phones have other attributes.

Not to tinkle in anyone's cereal but I really don't think we'll be seeing this on VZW for a while.

4. rlandon

rlandon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to get this phone as I'm due for a new one also. I was holding out for the Bionic but after visiting a local store and seeing the screen of the Samsung Charge, I'm blown away with it. The main reason I hate my Droid1 is I can't see the screen in full daylight. The Samsung is perfectly clear and full color in the sun. The AMOLED is great compared to qHD, which the Bionic has. I'm willing to lose some speed to gain a phone I can read and actually use. I'll wait for the Aug 4th release date of the Bionic and word on the S2 release date, but if it doesn't show VERY soon, the Charge will be my new phone.

5. marlopoohbear

marlopoohbear New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Since we won't be seeing 4G in our state for at least a year, I want to get a 3G phone and not have to deal with it searching and draining the battery. At least that's what I've read happens when you put a 4G phone in a 3G area. Anyone have thoughts or experience on that?

I'm excited for this phone, I really do hope it gets to Verizon. The news posts are saying it will go to all the carriers. Fingers crossed. My Droid 1 is heavy and slow. But I still like it enough to hold out for this Samsung.

6. Preach2k

Preach2k Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,103
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
    Twitter:
    DroidNCState
    I Got this Message from 1 of my sources from Vz this is what was said:
    Function is a shareholder name much like Stealth was for charge. Processor will be Tegra 2 i imagine just like the GTab 10.1. People can stop hoping its an LTE phone because its going to be CDMA based. We are also getting a Samsung spider phone which does appear to have LTE connectivity. Also as a side note after September customers lose their New Every Two discount if they haven't yet used it.

Take it for what it is worth!!!

7. volando

volando Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to keep on hoping :)

8. poooookah78

poooookah78 Member

Ratings:
    +2

Did you hear from your source any word of a possible release time?

9. Maverick0984

Maverick0984 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I really don't understand why people are so surprised or still hoping. It isn't going to have 4G for the same reason the D3 doesn't have 4G. The radio is still too large to fit into the desired form factor. This shouldn't be a surprise, and if you are still hoping the SGII will be 4G, I suggest you not hold your breath :-/

10. Preach2k

Preach2k Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,103
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    DroidNCState
    No Word yet from my source but I am thinking late 4th Q.. Verizon is always the last to get the phone..

11. poooookah78

poooookah78 Member

Ratings:
    +2

I really hope you're wrong. I can't see Verizon rolling out a phone almost a full year later than the European issue of the same phone. Why wouldn't we be able to get the August release? The Bionic IS nice... but it's no SGS2

12. Preach2k

Preach2k Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,103
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    DroidNCState
    The only thing I see that the GS2 have over the Bionic is the Super Amoled screen imo. I used to want it until i messed with the Charge then I changed my mind. It will have No LTE CDMA only. The only one that will get it first is AT&T. The next Sprint Then Verizon. That is if they do the same thing as what they did with the Fascinate. It will be 4th Q. Late November or the late December the earliest.