Samsung Galaxy SII May Come to Verizon as Early as Aug 12, and Before Other Carriers

darkmatter

Reaction score
As far as benchmarks are concerned, keep in mind screen resolution. The lg optimus 3d benches higher than the droid3 with the same chipset. Most sources say its likely due to lower screen resolution.

"4g" for other carriers i'd say is likely, but LTE is not. The droid3 has a "4g" version in canada, but its still not lte.

is GS2 ram ddr1? Will be interesting to see the difference with similarly clocked cpu's with the differing ram types (assuming bionic will be 4460)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Vito.a

Reaction score
The Samsung Galaxy S II, or Function is definitely on my list. I have read all the speculation on if it has 4G or not, but I can’t justify it because of size.
If Samsung can fit 4g into the Charge, they could definitely fit it into the Function. The Charge is 4.16 oz and at .46” thin is one of the thinnest/lightest smart phones available.
By the way, the Thunderbolt is the heaviest at 6.23 oz and the thickest at .56” (even the new Droid 3 with its slide out keyboard is thinner and lighter).
It will be interesting to get both the Bionic and the Function final specs and compare them.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
As far as benchmarks are concerned, keep in mind screen resolution. The lg optimus 3d benches higher than the droid3 with the same chipset. Most sources say its likely due to lower screen resolution.

"4g" for other carriers i'd say is likely, but LTE is not. The droid3 has a "4g" version in canada, but its still not lte.

is GS2 ram ddr1? Will be interesting to see the difference with similarly clocked cpu's with the differing ram types (assuming bionic will be 4460)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Yea so the OMAP4 is faster when clocked at the same speed, and when they have the same resolution.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

King_Bean

Reaction score
No 4G, no for me, I will be up for a new contract this December and live in NYC "s 4G area" , hopefully HTC has something nice coming by that time, since I am not to fond of touchwiz or motoblur, HTC sense kicks both to the curb.

I agree that Sense is heads and shoulders above the rest. It adds so much to the Android experience. I just don't know if I have the patience to wait for a LTE dual core HTC device (other than the TB). There's nothing on the horizon and I'm so ready to move on from my D1. But I may be able to wait.

Sense is nice but the problem is it is getting huge. 3.0 on the Evo 3d takes up more than half of the 1gb ram out of the box.

Damn! So, are you telling me that the Evo 3D comes with 1gb of RAM but only half of it is useable to the phone owner?!?!?

If that's the case, HTC needs to start upping the internal storage.

chuckz28

Reaction score
I agree that Sense is heads and shoulders above the rest. It adds so much to the Android experience. I just don't know if I have the patience to wait for a LTE dual core HTC device (other than the TB). There's nothing on the horizon and I'm so ready to move on from my D1. But I may be able to wait.

Sense is nice but the problem is it is getting huge. 3.0 on the Evo 3d takes up more than half of the 1gb ram out of the box.

Damn! So, are you telling me that the Evo 3D comes with 1gb of RAM but only half of it is useable to the phone owner?!?!?

If that's the case, HTC needs to start upping the internal storage.
I was thinking they need to cut more fat off Sense. Lol.

Godfather

Reaction score
It's not a few extra seconds. It's like comparing a 300 baud modem to broadband. Websites load and change instantly.

Also who said battery life would be any different? If it loads faster maybe it won't take as much.

Why would anyone get into a 2 year contract with a 3g phone?

Because I don't mind waiting a few extra seconds for websites to load. Because I don't mind waiting an extra minute for a podcast to download. Because I'd rather have the extra few hours of battery life and not have to carry a charger with me everywhere.

A few extra seconds..that's what happened when my buddy who just got a t-bolt and I did a comparison. I'm due for an upgrade in 3 weeks and I was checking the LTE speed vs. 3g. He runs a t-bolt and I have an OG Droid. We both loaded google and went to the same website at the same time. His phone beat mine by about 3 seconds. We did that for about 8 different websites and it was pretty consistent every time. Granted...I don't need 4G, I get online on my phone maybe 2 or 3 times a day to check scores, the weather or what not...so 4G to me is not a deal breaker. I would rather be able to move through my apps and my phone quickly rather than move over the internet quickly, but that is just me. My buddy lives on his 4G for his work, so LTE is a benefit to him....me, not so much. It is all a matter of preference.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you want to stream Netflix you better get 4g. In the next 2 years there will be far more streaming options available that 3g just will perform badly on.

I mainly use wi-fi myself. I just don't want to get a phone that doesn't last 2 years. So I will go with 4g.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
If you want to stream Netflix you better get 4g. In the next 2 years there will be far more streaming options available that 3g just will perform badly on.

I mainly use wi-fi myself. I just don't want to get a phone that doesn't last 2 years. So I will go with 4g.

Hmm... 3G works fine for me. Haven't ever had to buffer.

soulpatch

Reaction score

Ditto and with many power users moving to 4G, 3G should be handling less of a load as well.

Vito.a

Reaction score

Unless you live in a big city, you will not see 4g service until the end of 2013. That is 2 1/2 years away. Even if you live in a major area, you may not get 4G until the end of 2012, 18 months away and most NE2 (new every 2) are available every 20 months.
If you use wi-fi, then 4G doesn't matter.
If you want the unlimited data transfered from your current unlimited plan, then 4g is a big deal.

Godfather

Reaction score

I don't blame you. I don't stream Netflix or Pandora or pretty much anything over my phone. I do stream Pandora at home, but I do that via Wifi. Like I said earlier, it is preference. I know for alot of people, no 4G will be a deal breaker, just not for me. I pretty much make phone calls, text and play some games on my phone. I don't use it for work like alot of people do. I guess technically, I could get away with not having a smartphone at all, but now that I have one and all the apps available, I couldn't go back to anything else. For me, I prefer the speed and performance of the device itself rather than the speed of the network. I might be in the minority, but that's how I roll!

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score

Ditto and with many power users moving to 4G, 3G should be handling less of a load as well.

Yea.
I mean at home and at work I use Wifi, which the ones I have are a heck of a lot faster than most areas 4G, and when I am away from Wifi Hotspots 3G does the job. And well.

I would love to have 4G, but I would see myself turning it off most of the time to save battery life. And that would be a waste of money.

chuckz28

Reaction score
I think there is a good possibility of LTE since sprints definitely has Wimax. They added length and width as opposed to thickness to put it in and they added a 1800 mah battery. Let's hope Verizon doesn't butcher it because Sprint got it right.

Vito.a

Reaction score
I think there is a good possibility of LTE since sprints definitely has Wimax. They added length and width as opposed to thickness to put it in and they added a 1800 mah battery. Let's hope Verizon doesn't butcher it because Sprint got it right.

I agree. Let's keep the LTE door open.