Samsung Galaxy SII May Come to Verizon as Early as Aug 12, and Before Other Carriers

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
Why would anyone get into a 2 year contract with a 3g phone?

Because I don't mind waiting a few extra seconds for websites to load. Because I don't mind waiting an extra minute for a podcast to download. Because I'd rather have the extra few hours of battery life and not have to carry a charger with me everywhere.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's not a few extra seconds. It's like comparing a 300 baud modem to broadband. Websites load and change instantly.

Also who said battery life would be any different? If it loads faster maybe it won't take as much.

Why would anyone get into a 2 year contract with a 3g phone?

Because I don't mind waiting a few extra seconds for websites to load. Because I don't mind waiting an extra minute for a podcast to download. Because I'd rather have the extra few hours of battery life and not have to carry a charger with me everywhere.

bplewis24

Reaction score
That is totally not true man. The OMAP4 doesn't come close to the SGII's processor. Have you seen the browser speed comparisons against the iPhone 4 and quadrant scores put up by it? It blows away ever phone out there, and will do the same to the Bionic. It won't even be a contest. The OMAP4 really isn't that powerful, the 4G speed is the only thing the Bionic will have going for it. The SGII is pulling over 3200 in the quadrant, the OMAP4 is doing like 2500. Where did you see that it was faster? I haven't seen it.

iPhone4? The iPhone4 is over a year old and doesn't compare to the OMAP4 or Exynos processors. And Quadrant is basically a useless benchmark. You have to go by something else. Of pretty much all the benchmarks I've seen, the OMAP4 is very narrowly the fastest SoC on the market right now.

Brandon

BlacknTan

Reaction score
[
iPhone4? The iPhone4 is over a year old and doesn't compare to the OMAP4 or Exynos processors. And Quadrant is basically a useless benchmark. You have to go by something else. Of pretty much all the benchmarks I've seen, the OMAP4 is very narrowly the fastest SoC on the market right now.

Brandon

+1

You can't take the results of one single benchmark when you are comparing processors. Go on to Tom's Hardware Guide or Phronixx and look at how many benchmarks they use to compare computer processors. There are always multiple benchmarks testing multiple aspects of a processor.

And you can have a processor that benchmarks off the charts, but when you couple that processor with other pieces of hardware and software configurations it could come out running like a silicone turd.

So here, let me drag out the dead horse so I can beat it again. Until the bionic is released and we can see some REAL WORLD comparisons between both phones, you simply can't back up a statement like "the SG2 is going to blow the Bionic out of the water"... especially when the two processors in question are so close in specs.

And really, why in the world would you want to?

Why isn't it enough that you like the SG2 and think it's a cool phone in its own right? So what if LTE is a dealbreaker for some of us? It doesn't invalidate your choice of the phone, it's just a personal preference for those of us who want LTE. There are plenty of other reasons why you might want a SG2 over a Bionic.

Man, some people just get so protective over their choice of phones and so invested in convincing everyone else that they know better. It's cool to get excited about it, but at the end of the day, it's just a phone.

Did I wander into an iphone forum by mistake?

rlandon

Reaction score
I'm giving VZ til Aug 15th for a GS2 or Bionic to hold in my hands and test out. After that, it's what's on the shelf with 4G, 4.3 screen, and 2.3. I still like that Super AMOLED Charge, even with a single core.

bplewis24

Reaction score
You can't take the results of one single benchmark when you are comparing processors. Go on to Tom's Hardware Guide or Phronixx and look at how many benchmarks they use to compare computer processors. There are always multiple benchmarks testing multiple aspects of a processor.

Completely agree. Tegra2 still comes out on top on a small minority of benchmarks, the Exynos tested well in a few and the OMAP4 tested well in it's fair share. The Qualcomm 1.2GHz SoC was slightly behind in all but a few benchmarks.

And the Exynos does perform extremely well in real-world situations, which is why most people want the SGSII. When you watch the videos of it compared to the G2x, it looks flawless. But we don't know yet how the Bionic will measure up to it.

Lastly, we don't know 100% for certain that the SGSII on Verizon will have the Exynos processor. Samsung is going to release some versions with Tegra2 and while the speculation was that it would only be in certain Asian regions, there's no way to know that for certain until we see some test units or they release the spec sheet.

Brandon

michaelearth

Reaction score
So if the SGSII is released on verizon early August. Do you buy it or wait for the Nexus 3 which is supposedly coming out by Christams on all carriers with Ice Cream Sandwhich?

My contract is ready for an upgrade and i cannot decide what I should choose to be stuck wiht for 2 years...

mach330

Reaction score
Just saw engadget saying sprint version fcc approval with wimax. Could that mean vzw might have lte?

Snow02

Reaction score
Just saw engadget saying sprint version fcc approval with wimax. Could that mean vzw might have lte?

It could. They'd definitely have to redesign the internals from the international version, but that could be the reason for the delay.

King_Bean

Reaction score
No 4G, no for me, I will be up for a new contract this December and live in NYC "s 4G area" , hopefully HTC has something nice coming by that time, since I am not to fond of touchwiz or motoblur, HTC sense kicks both to the curb.

I agree that Sense is heads and shoulders above the rest. It adds so much to the Android experience. I just don't know if I have the patience to wait for a LTE dual core HTC device (other than the TB). There's nothing on the horizon and I'm so ready to move on from my D1. But I may be able to wait.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
[

Brandon

+1

And you can have a processor that benchmarks off the charts, but when you couple that processor with other pieces of hardware and software configurations it could come out running like a silicone turd.

So here, let me drag out the dead horse so I can beat it again. Until the bionic is released and we can see some REAL WORLD comparisons between both phones, you simply can't back up a statement like "the SG2 is going to blow the Bionic out of the water"... especially when the two processors in question are so close in specs.

Why isn't it enough that you like the SG2 and think it's a cool phone in its own right? So what if LTE is a dealbreaker for some of us? It doesn't invalidate your choice of the phone, it's just a personal preference for those of us who want LTE. There are plenty of other reasons why you might want a SG2 over a Bionic.

Man, some people just get so protective over their choice of phones and so invested in convincing everyone else that they know better. It's cool to get excited about it, but at the end of the day, it's just a phone.

Why do I find myself agreeing with yall 2 on regular basis...lol

chuckz28

Reaction score
No 4G, no for me, I will be up for a new contract this December and live in NYC "s 4G area" , hopefully HTC has something nice coming by that time, since I am not to fond of touchwiz or motoblur, HTC sense kicks both to the curb.

I agree that Sense is heads and shoulders above the rest. It adds so much to the Android experience. I just don't know if I have the patience to wait for a LTE dual core HTC device (other than the TB). There's nothing on the horizon and I'm so ready to move on from my D1. But I may be able to wait.

Sense is nice but the problem is it is getting huge. 3.0 on the Evo 3d takes up more than half of the 1gb ram out of the box.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
[

Brandon

+1

Samsung Exynos vs OMAP 4 vs Nvidia Tegra 2: Benchmarked

There. OMAP 4 wins majority of the benchmarks.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Since the Sprint version, the Within, is going to have Wimax, wouldn't the Verizon version, Function, have LTE? I think it's the only way to really compete between the different carriers. I mean, if you had to choice between Sprint WiMax and Verizon 3G, I know I'd go for the WiMax...

MS3G35

Reaction score
[

Brandon

+1

I agree with this guy ^

Until I can get my hands on both phones and actually use them I won't say that one is better then the other. It will however sway my opinion some if the SG2 doesn't have LTE. So unless I totally hate the Bionic then I would go with it. But again we will see. Sounds like they might be coming out around the same time as well. Exciting time for smartphones. dancedroid