Samsung Galaxy SII May Come to Verizon as Early as Aug 12, and Before Other Carriers

loki993

Reaction score
Very true... plus I think the GS2 looks to be a better phone than the rumored Bionic, 4G or 3G.

Just based on specs alone, the SGS2 is superior to the Bionic in virtually every way (other than LTE and we've already established that LTE isn't super important -right now - for many of us).

No way. It isn't important to you only if you don't have 4g service, which will likely happen in the near future. Those of us that have that option, 4g is huge. I don't care how good the specs are, if its stuck on older, slower technology its not even an option. If the SG2 is only 3g,its competition will be the D3, not the Bionic!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

I have no interest in a phone without LTE, theres just no point. and like I said before 2 years is a long time.

Verizon says 2/3s by the end of 2012 and the whole network by the end of 2013. Im gonna go out on a limb and say the 2/3rds will get just about everyone near most major cities. So I dont know how people can say they wont have 4g for years. Makes no difference to me though.

King_Bean

Reaction score
Very true... plus I think the GS2 looks to be a better phone than the rumored Bionic, 4G or 3G.

Just based on specs alone, the SGS2 is superior to the Bionic in virtually every way (other than LTE and we've already established that LTE isn't super important -right now - for many of us).

No way. It isn't important to you only if you don't have 4g service, which will likely happen in the near future. Those of us that have that option, 4g is huge. I don't care how good the specs are, if its stuck on older, slower technology its not even an option. If the SG2 is only 3g,its competition will be the D3, not the Bionic!

Speak for yourself. I live in Atlanta (a 4G city) and I don't really care about 4G. For my needs, 3G has always been plenty fast. Don't get me wrong, 4G would be nice because it's even faster but I don't like the fact that once I get outside of Atlanta, the 4G becomes spotty (useless). Also, battery life is THE most important thing for me when it comes to a smartphone and I don't like what LTE 4G does to battery life. If I lock in the SGS2, these issues (spotty 4G and battery life) will surely be resolved 20 months from now and THEN I'll be excited about getting a 4G phone.

All that being said, I will only get the Bionic if A) it's battery life turns out to be just as good as the average 3G phone or almost as good and B) it's performance is on par or nearly-on-par with the SGS2 in every other category. Unless both of these requirements are met, there's no way I would get the Bionic.

chuckz28

Reaction score

I have 4g area and it isn't that important to me. So by your logic you would rather have a pentium 4 with 256 ram and a fiber optic connection, than a core i7 with 4gb ram and dsl. You do realize that the gs2 processor will handle JavaScript much better making the pages load quicker even with the same connection speed right? App opening speeds and day to day operation, I guarantee will be a quicker smoother operation on the gs2. This is more important than lagginess, locked boot loaders, and 4g to a lot of people.

bplewis24

Reaction score

I don't see why people are so confident of this. What do they base this on? I will leave LTE out of this, because that alone ends the argument, but assuming a person doesn't have LTE coverage or assuming the SGSII has it, let's look at this closer:

1) We still don't have a final spec list on either device. To say one beats the other confidently is sort of presumptuous. We don't know yet.

2) One of the most important confirmation specs we need on the SGSII variant is whether it's going to retain the Exynos chip or whether it's going to end up with Tegra2. If it has the Exynos chip it will be comparable to the OMAP4 in the Bionic, if it has Tegra2 it will be inferior.

3) If we assume most other specs, we know that the Bionic will have a higher resolution screen, but it won't be S-AMOLED+, so that is a trade-off by preference. I prefer the resolution and energy savings of the Bionic screen (assuming it's like the D3). The Bionic is rumored to have a bigger battery, but not by much, and the SGSII appears to have more built-in storage.

4) Everything else seems pretty much the same: 1GB RAM (is the SGSII DDR3 memory like the Bionic?), 8MP rear cameras, 1080p video capture.

Again, though, I go back to point #1: we don't know anything for sure. American carriers have a knack for importing phones and mucking up the international version somehow. The specs for the SGSII international version may not be exactly the same as what ends up on Verizon. And we still don't have final confirmation on a lot of the Bionic specs.

Brandon

bplewis24

Reaction score
I forgot to add that Touchwiz and Blur are both entirely preference-dependent, but one place where the SGSII would likely shine is that Samsung has a track record of unlockable phones. The Bionic is likely to ship locked and not get unlocked for ....a few months? Who knows.

Brandon

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Well Sk, looks like you've been shown wrong. Even people in big 4G cities are saying they don't need it yet. I'll have to agree with them as well.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dang, forgot I can't edit post.

Anyways, if this phone comes out then, goodbye Droid 3 more than likely. I'm not too excited about the Bionic so I didn't care to wait. Specs sound like the Droid 3 minus the keyboard added 4G.. and webtop which I'd never use.

The the GSII.. oh boy! That looks amazing. And if it has 4G, even more.

BlacknTan

Reaction score

I have 4g area and it isn't that important to me. So by your logic you would rather have a pentium 4 with 256 ram and a fiber optic connection, than a core i7 with 4gb ram and dsl. You do realize that the gs2 processor will handle JavaScript much better making the pages load quicker even with the same connection speed right? App opening speeds and day to day operation, I guarantee will be a quicker smoother operation on the gs2. This is more important than lagginess, locked boot loaders, and 4g to a lot of people.

Are you comparing a 4g original droid? That's not even a close comparison for the Bionic. Both the SG2 and the Bionic will have current-gen processors and comparable ram, although the bionic will likely have ddr2.

Look, both phones have their appeal. I think the SG2 looks sexier. But to say that the Bionic is the equivalent to a pentium4 and the SG2 a core i7 is way off. It's more like a core i7 vs a core i7. Or at best a phenom II quadcore vs a core i5.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Thank You.

Ppl are going off benchmarks...lol. They are both comparable. Both chips are nice. Both will have 1GB ram. I would pick both over Tegra 2...and the Tegra 2 is nice.

All the dual core phones are nice.

And I dont think the newer version of the Bionic has been benchmarked yet. Even if it has...its not like the GS2 destroyed it in benchmarks.....especially if going by Droid 3 benchmarks....with 1/2 the ram and a higher screen res.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

I don't see why people are so confident of this. What do they base this on? I will leave LTE out of this, because that alone ends the argument, but assuming a person doesn't have LTE coverage or assuming the SGSII has it, let's look at this closer:

1) We still don't have a final spec list on either device. To say one beats the other confidently is sort of presumptuous. We don't know yet.

2) One of the most important confirmation specs we need on the SGSII variant is whether it's going to retain the Exynos chip or whether it's going to end up with Tegra2. If it has the Exynos chip it will be comparable to the OMAP4 in the Bionic, if it has Tegra2 it will be inferior.

3) If we assume most other specs, we know that the Bionic will have a higher resolution screen, but it won't be S-AMOLED+, so that is a trade-off by preference. I prefer the resolution and energy savings of the Bionic screen (assuming it's like the D3). The Bionic is rumored to have a bigger battery, but not by much, and the SGSII appears to have more built-in storage.

4) Everything else seems pretty much the same: 1GB RAM (is the SGSII DDR3 memory like the Bionic?), 8MP rear cameras, 1080p video capture.

Again, though, I go back to point #1: we don't know anything for sure. American carriers have a knack for importing phones and mucking up the international version somehow. The specs for the SGSII international version may not be exactly the same as what ends up on Verizon. And we still don't have final confirmation on a lot of the Bionic specs.

Brandon

Thank you too....lol

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Samsung Galaxy S 2 beats the Bionic in ever category, save one: no 4g. Everyone seems to think it will roll out just as it did in Europe, same specs and no 4g. If you live in a 4g area and the speed is important to you, then you have a tougher decision, however if pure performance, hardware superiority, and display are more important, then the S2 is a no brainer head and shoulders above winner.

I HOPE this is FINALLY a true release!!!!!

See the last 2-3 posts....

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
galaxy sII going to verizon wouldnt really shock me.. verizon and samsung seem to have a strong relationship.... plus im sure samsung wants there phone on every network to become market leader.. just a waiting game.

markwebb

Reaction score
Why would anyone get into a 2 year contract with a 3g phone?

Because MANY of us won't even see 4g in 2012 like my area in rural New England just south of the Canadian border.

chuckz28

Reaction score

I have 4g area and it isn't that important to me. So by your logic you would rather have a pentium 4 with 256 ram and a fiber optic connection, than a core i7 with 4gb ram and dsl. You do realize that the gs2 processor will handle JavaScript much better making the pages load quicker even with the same connection speed right? App opening speeds and day to day operation, I guarantee will be a quicker smoother operation on the gs2. Thi is more important than lagginess, locked boot loaders, and 4g to a lot of people.

Are you comparing a 4g original droid? That's not even a close comparison for the Bionic. Both the SG2 and the Bionic will have current-gen processors and comparable ram, although the bionic will likely have ddr2.

Look, both phones have their appeal. I think the SG2 looks sexier. But to say that the Bionic is the equivalent to a pentium4 and the SG2 a core i7 is way off. It's more like a core i7 vs a core i7. Or at best a phenom II quadcore vs a core i5.

The idea is everyone is putting everything on network speed over real life performance of the phone. I'm not even talking about benchmarks I'm talking about day to day use. Everybody is thinking LTE or nothing and I am saying a better quicker phone experience is more important to a lot of people. We haven't seen Bionic yet but with it being the essentially the same processor as the D3 it will perform nearly the same including the lag. Watching comparison videos of the gs2 vs. All the top dual core phones right now it walks all over them. Add in that BMX has tried both and says the Bionic is a nice device but it is no gs2, gives a preview of the field.