Samsung Galaxy SII May Come to Verizon as Early as Aug 12, and Before Other Carriers

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-s-II-america-girls.jpg

We have some intriguing news this morning, regarding the Samsung Galaxy SII superphone. A Los Angeles industry analyst named Paul Mueller claims that he believes Verizon will get the first iteration of the Galaxy SII before the other carriers, and that it will come as early as August 12th. Here's a quote from Mr. Mueller,
“I’m not sure about the exact date, but I’ve been told that August 12 is a possibility. It will arrive first on Verizon and then the rest of the carriers within a month. Samsung will market this directly against the iPhone 5,”
Regardless of whether Mr. Mueller's prediction about Verizon comes true, this date is entirely possible since it does coincide with earlier statements made by Samsung Mobile President, Shin Jong-Kyun indicating that Samsung's flagship phone will arrive in the U.S. in August.

On a separate note, Earlier rumors suggested the names for the different variants of the Galaxy SII for each carrier, and it bears repeating. The supposed names will be, The Attain (AT&T), The Within (Sprint) and the Function (Verizon). If earlier rumors about the Droid Bionic getting pushed back to September turn out to be true, then the "SGS2/Samsung Function" will actually arrive before the Bionic, further complicating the decision making process for many folks.

Source: DroidMatters.com

Last edited:

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
nice.. 1st by the way

phatkat66

Reaction score
if this is true then it will definitely have a huge impact on the Bionic sales. Motorola really messed up with this one by not getting it out already. The only thing stopping me from the S2 is I don't like the UI for it. Im actually fond of moto blur. It grew on me. But if someone or something can show me whats so great about the galaxy's ui it might make me switch. Jeez moto....step it up already.

markwebb

Reaction score
If this is unlocked from Verizon and offers Pure Android (or as much as possible w/o bloat), then this will be my phone!

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Which phone is better and why?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I don't believe specs until I see an official announcement so as far as comparing, you can't. The Bionic isn't out yet. I am guesing the SII is a 3g phone though, not 4g.. could be wrong though (and if I am someone will surely point it out). Otherwise, are you a moto fan or a samsung fan?

Mamba94

Reaction score
Interesting...If this is true it will definitely sway some people from the Bionic. I really wanted to wait for the Bionic but if the SGS 2 beats the Bionic to market on Verizon I don't think I will wait for the Bionic.

obsquacious

Reaction score
Are there speculative specs on the GS2 available? If it's 4g, bionic might have lost me as a purchaser.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

sk102704

Reaction score
Are there speculative specs on the GS2 available? If it's 4g, bionic might have lost me as a purchaser.

I've only heard its going to be 3g. 4g would make this a tough decision between it and the Bionic

loki993

Reaction score
if this is true then it will definitely have a huge impact on the Bionic sales. Motorola really messed up with this one by not getting it out already. The only thing stopping me from the S2 is I don't like the UI for it. Im actually fond of moto blur. It grew on me. But if someone or something can show me whats so great about the galaxy's ui it might make me switch. Jeez moto....step it up already.

Easily remedied once someone release a custom ROM for it. Root, flash get blur theme...profit

I don't believe specs until I see an official announcement so as far as comparing, you can't. The Bionic isn't out yet. I am guesing the SII is a 3g phone though, not 4g.. could be wrong though (and if I am someone will surely point it out). Otherwise, are you a moto fan or a samsung fan?

Yeah After seeing 2 , a samsung and a HTC with the super amoled Im sold. That screens amazing.

Its got the specs, if it doesnt have 4g though Ill still be waiting though.

poooookah78

Reaction score

Easily remedied once someone release a custom ROM for it. Root, flash get blur theme...profit

Yeah After seeing 2 , a samsung and a HTC with the super amoled Im sold. That screens amazing.

Its got the specs, if it doesnt have 4g though Ill still be waiting though.

Samsung Galaxy S 2 beats the Bionic in ever category, save one: no 4g. Everyone seems to think it will roll out just as it did in Europe, same specs and no 4g. If you live in a 4g area and the speed is important to you, then you have a tougher decision, however if pure performance, hardware superiority, and display are more important, then the S2 is a no brainer head and shoulders above winner.

I HOPE this is FINALLY a true release!!!!!