Samsung Galaxy SII Makes Way through FCC with Sprint WiMAX 4G Radio

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-s-II-sprint-wimax-fcc.png

Previously, we shared with you that an analyst in the industry was predicting the Samsung Galaxy SII might come to Verizon first, and that it might come sometime in August. Part of that news may turn out to be false, but this newest bit of intel seems to confirm a likely August time-frame.

From this newest report, it looks like the Samsung Galaxy SII should be hitting U.S. shores very soon. The first version of the superphone passed through the FCC today, and it turned out to be the Sprint one, as it had a WiMAX 4G radio. The model of the phone is the SPH-D710, and it also won FCC approval for Bluetooth and dual-band Wireless-N WiFi. Interestingly, according to these FCC specs, the phone is 5mm taller and 3mm wider than its European counterpart.

Also, interestingly enough, Samsung released their official results regarding global sales of the flagship phone. Although it turned out that a previous analyst's sales estimates of the phone were off by 1 Million, the actual results of 5 Million were still impressive, especially considering that the phone hasn't even been released in the United States yet. Furthermore, it only took Samsung 85 days to reach that phenomenal number. Compare that with the fact that it took them 125 days to sell the same number of their original Samsung Galaxy S phone, and it's safe to say they have a bona fide "blockbuster" on their hands.

This news, along with the previously reported rumors, indicate that we will most likely be seeing this phone released sometime in August, including perhaps every carrier's version of it. Also, since they were able to shoe-horn a WiMAX 4G radio into the SGS2, it is possible they could do the same thing with a 4G LTE radio from Verizon. Cross your fingers!

Source: Android.net via WirelessGoodness.com and PhanDroid

bigdad63

Reaction score
If Samsung manages to put 4G in the vzw version of the GSII and only add an additional 5mm, that would leave you with a phone that's proven, blazing fast, widely regarded as the best phone in the world, with, class leading camera and video capabilities, and just over one half inch thick. That is 100% game over for the Bionic.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
If Samsung manages to put 4G in the vzw version of the GSII and only add an additional 5mm, that would leave you with a phone that's proven, blazing fast, widely regarded as the best phone in the world, with, class leading camera and video capabilities, and just over one half inch thick. That is 100% game over for the Bionic.
Just think,if u had said that 3mos ago,u would've gotin cussed out and nailed 2 a cross,funny how time changes things.lol!!!

otmlb1128

Reaction score
I hope some more concrete info leaks before the Bionic comes out. I'm really hoping to replace my OG Droid in early August.

bigdad63

Reaction score
Well if they did, it wouldn't be so thin...

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, the current GSII is 9mm thick, if you add another 5mm (with an inch being just over 25 mm) you have 14mm or just over half an inch.

bigdad63

Reaction score
Well if they did, it wouldn't be so thin...

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, the current GSII is 9mm thick, if you add another 5mm (with an inch being just over 25 mm) you have 14mm or just over half an inch.

Wait, I'm wrong, but maybe it will turn out to be in a good way. I looked up the dimensions on the current GSII and they are 125.3mm x 66.1mm x 8.5mm. When you blow up the schematic it shows 130.4mm x 69.1mm, so it's 5mm extra in height and 3mm in width (making it just under 5" tall and just under 2.75"). I could not make anything out about thickness, so maybe it stayed the same. I'm almost tempted to go to the fcc website to see if I can discern the depth.

Reaction score
Fkkin Moto...breaks my heart... 4g SG2 equates to Bionic's failure of potsie-like proportions. arrghhh

Reaction score
Fkkin Moto...breaks my heart... 4g SG2 equates to Bionic's failure of potsie-like proportions. arrghhh

failboat.jpg

Vito.a

Reaction score
Samsung managed to fit a Verizon 4G radio in the Charge and it's one of the thinnest (.46") smart phones available.