Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Specs Rumored Again; 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-note-5-fan-render.jpg

The Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is back in the news again this Monday morning. We supposedly have confirmation that the next-gen phablet-style phone will indeed include 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM. That's not all. Additional specs were revealed in the leak as well which also confirm previous rumors. Here's a breakdown:
  • Exynos 7422 SoC
  • 4GB of LP-DDR4 RAM
  • First true single-chip solution (ePOP) combining an octa-core 64-bit CPU, GPU, RAM and storage with the Shannon 333 LTE modem
While this news is intriguing, there are still quite a few folks out there concerned about multiple rumors stating the phone won't have a microSD slot. This could leave this technology languishing until Samsung gets smart and reintroduces microSD slots into there devices.

Here's our dedicated Samsung Galaxy Note 5 section for further discussion: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: SamMobile

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
SD slots are overrated, so long as the phone ships in 32gb and higher packages...

It's a perception thing... If people have all that storage, some might throw things on the phone just because it is there... but how many apps can the average person really use? Does one really need 15,000+ songs on their phone? All 6 seasons of LOST in HD?

The tiny vocal minority keep complaining about lack of SD slots, I used to be one of them, but in the big picture it just doesn't matter...

I have my Nexus 6 with all my apps, 300+ songs, 1200 pics and camera videos, large PDF files(shop manuals for my motorcycle and ATV), etc... Still have 12GB free on a 32gb phone...

Every time I had a MicroSD slot, I would slap a 64gb card in there, that would invariably have like 7gb of stuff on it, because the reality is that you just don't need that much space on a phone, 99.9% of the time.

32gb or 64gb is more than enough for most of the market...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Micro SD cards make fdr's a lot easier..and the sandisk flash drive I bought to make up for this, malfunctioned when I did my fdr, so I'm glad I backed everything up to my laptop ..I had it on the cloud too...but I had over 800 songs on my turbo...I don't usually have so many..but I've been having a lot of....I wanna learn that song.. Moments...lol

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The majority of consumers have been using them for decades, in digital cameras, PDAs, MP3 players, printers, laptops, etc. If my 71y/o Mother (who is quite technologically challenged) knows how to use them, I think it's safe to say it isn't a new concept for most people. We can thank Android for making a simple concept difficult over the years.

S5 tap'n

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
The majority of consumers have been using them for decades, in digital cameras, PDAs, MP3 players, printers, laptops, etc. If my 71y/o Mother (who is quite technologically challenged) knows how to use them, I think it's safe to say it isn't a new concept for most people. We can thank Android for making a simple concept difficult over the years.

S5 tap'n
But do you sell phones on a daily basis? I do. Therefore I am allowed to comment Just teasing you, of course.
Apple has been successful without expandable storage. The problem is that we are USED to being able to pop in a card, or pop out the battery that we are quick to talk negative about the change. Remember when Moto did it? Same reaction. It's more frustrating for Samsung because they were the first ones to flaunt being able to add memory in Apple's face.

Sent from my Verizon G4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
But the majority of consumers don't even know how to use an SD card, or even know that one is in their phone. Ask me how I know
It's too bad Samsung will eat up the ram with their bloat/skin

Sent from my Verizon G4

With 4GB of DDR4 ram they can bloat their skin all that they want to. That ram coupled with their new Exynos will be plenty to push anything that you can throw at it.

Is this Exynos chip their "Mongoose" version?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
But do you sell phones on a daily basis? I do. Therefore I am allowed to comment Just teasing you, of course.
Apple has been successful without expandable storage. The problem is that we are USED to being able to pop in a card, or pop out the battery that we are quick to talk negative about the change. Remember when Moto did it? Same reaction. It's more frustrating for Samsung because they were the first ones to flaunt being able to add memory in Apple's face.

Sent from my Verizon G4
Good point.
I'm still hoping that Samsung goes back to a removable battery & sd card. I feel this year was simply a "trial run" for them to try new things and see how well they were received. As we know, the S6 didn't set any sales records and I think the Note 5 will be the nail in the coffin, one way or the other. If the Note 5 does well, I believe they'll continue down this path. If it doesn't, they'll return to what has worked so well for so many years. The Note 4 was a huge success so it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

S5 tap'n

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Jackie's point leads to an entirely different problem... People pushing these mini computers on folks that only need a clamshell...and not just the sales man or woman..their daughter beth tells grandma and grandpa that with this newer better device..they can get instant pics of all of their not so precious moments of little Timmy or Tammy or whatever they name the next one they pop out...people are doing this daily..

I wouldn't sell my grandma a vehicle with 2000 hp under the hood just cause it has GPS when there are far less expensive options that will do the same thing..the thing that wins em over is their failing eye site and a huge screen...*drops the mic...baaahahahahahahahahaha

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Jackie's point leads to an entirely different problem... People pushing these mini computers on folks that only need a clamshell...and not just the sales man or woman..their daughter beth tells grandma and grandpa that with this newer better device..they can get instant pics of all of their not so precious moments of little Timmy or Tammy or whatever they name the next one they pop out...people are doing this daily..

I wouldn't sell my grandma a vehicle with 2000 hp under the hood just cause it has GPS when there are far less expensive options that will do the same thing..the thing that wins em over is their failing eye site and a huge screen...*drops the mic...baaahahahahahahahahaha
Sadly, you're right. But if an elderly person wants a smartphone, I recommend them into a device like the Galaxy Core Prime, or an iPhone lol

Sent from my Verizon G4

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Micro SD cards make fdr's a lot easier..and the sandisk flash drive I bought to make up for this, malfunctioned when I did my fdr, so I'm glad I backed everything up to my laptop ..I had it on the cloud too...but I had over 800 songs on my turbo...I don't usually have so many..but I've been having a lot of....I wanna learn that song.. Moments...lol
I agree! It is just plain convenient to take that SD card out during an fdr or to move that SD card to my next newest device. It's also easier to back up my SD card contents directly from card to PC rather than via plugging in the phone. And although I have not had a crashed phone in a very long time, having that removable SD card meant all was not lost with that dead phone. More than once, my son with his dead iPhone's, has lost everything he had on his iPhone being shipped back to the factory, never to get it back again.

It is still a debate for me. Do I want to trust myself to back up on a regular basis? I think it will depend on how great all the specs are.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Well we shall see soon enough.. August 12 hmm.. Please don't rush this phone just to beat Apple iPhone... I have friends with issues with S6 edge not addressed yet..

Back on topic....having a Nexus 6 I've now just backed up stuff regularly on PC.. Keep your cloud I like staying on the ground..

Z3+tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
@bkdodger, I like staying on the ground also. Backups go on my PC. There are some great apps out there that make backing up to PC very easy, without having to plug into PC. I imagine I might be using that option much more.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
@bkdodger, I like staying on the ground also. Backups go on my PC. There are some great apps out there that make backing up to PC very easy, without having to plug into PC. I imagine I might be using that option much more.

Oh yes.. Plenty of options for us peeps.. I think we need to get a thread going on the whole backup without cloud options..

Z3+tapatalk