Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Well I'm going to throw my .02 in here. I really enjoy the physical look of the phone.

Not crazy about the S pen eject feature. For me I see that popping out at all the wrong times. IE in my pocket.

No battery and SD card is definitely a big negative. But honestly I don't need them. No SD card just forces me to not be as lazy with deleting podcasts when I am done with them and using more options available to me for remote storage of photos.

No battery also is an issue but only on the mental part. Of the 6 months I've had my phone I've only truly needed more juice 1 day. That day I took about 400 photos in 2 or 3 hours so it's expected but still that one day makes me desire being able to have another battery or extended battery.

The ability to write with the screen off seems cool.

Now I did see what appeared to be an external physical keypad. If this is what I saw I liked it. I would love one that fit on the phone in landscape and didn't cover any screen area.

With all of this I didn't see enough to make me want to change from my Note 4. I still thoroughly enjoy it. My only big gripe is my camera focus STRUGGLES on "close" items. But I have a replacement coming which should solve that.

Overall I think the sales for this device will be low. But again who really knows. Maybe market research has proven that most people don't care about sd and battery but like the sleek look.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Sales will continue to be low regardless of whether or not this phone could lay golden eggs.

Samsung filled a huge gap in the Android smartphone industry until recently. Now, you have comparable phones for half of the price.

Just look at the other major Android OEMs that have enjoyed a decent run these past 5 years or so. They can't even move a phone now.

It's not just Android though that is feeling the pain. Apple is losing share as well. If it weren't for the generous, U.S. favored, litigation process and the lack of U.S. LTE radios the up and coming Chinese vendors would wipe out the entire market.

Reactions: cr6

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
The amount of negativity from some people here amuses me to no end. We get it, you don't like the phone, or Samsung. But that doesn't mean you have to spew your negativity in every post about the new phones. We all knew Samsung was going to keep with the trend. Hell, we all know they already have their minds made up about a phone a long time before it is manufactured. You don't like it? Don't get the darn phone!

/steps off soapbox

Sent from my Verizon G4

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Yes! Let's keep these threads going on topic y'all... I'm coming in late and catching up on stuff.. We have choices.. That's Android! Great for everyone.. Let's stay on topics and let's not hash over the same things over and over.. We have plenty of flavors for all.. Better than Baskin Robbins...

NexusSix

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I think that Samsung kinda phoned it in on these..like moto did on the razr maxx hd..

Perhaps ..and this is just me..Samsung should stop throwing flagships out so quickly..I'm all for the lower tier devices..but flagships are losing their wow factor..

But then again...what am I expecting...an Autobot to transform out of my phone and we go save the world together....??? Idk..but it'd be nice to see something different..

I already shot the toaster..I thought it was a decepticon..

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I agree 4 flagships and umpteen lower end model phones every year is too much. They should have just stuck with their previous two flagships a year with a release at the same time. Then again, had they stuck with that release model I would have never had the opportunity to get the Note Edge because they wouldn't have manufactured it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I hear ya.. What I don't get is..they have a good thing with the note edge..them..the s5 and s6e's come out..nothing like the note edge..the the note 5 doesn't even offer it....

Is there a note edge 2 in the works or did they not figure out how to get some use out of it?? Idk..I love mine..I wish it had less bloat..but...it still works well..

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
OK I will play along here.

Show me a phone with a better screen.
Show me a phone with a better camera.
Show me a phone with a better desktop companion software.
Show me a phone that mirrors to my television without any accessories.
Show me a phone that talks to my refrigerator.
Show me a phone that has a better pen.

LG g4
Lg g4
What's a desktop?
Lg g4
Why do I need to talk to refrigerator?
No pen, I give you that.
But has same size "removable" battery and up to 128gb sd card.
Also lg software > samsung software.

_33

Reaction score
The Note 4 just became the phone to get! Hopefully T-Mo has a Note 4 Edge for me somewhere!

Man, I'm not a downer, but I don't think I've ever been so disappointed by an announcement.

I was going to try no sd slot...
I was thinking I could make it without a removeable battery...

No way they're suckering me into this. I was one of those fools who bought a Thunderbolt on release!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
LG g4
Lg g4
What's a desktop?
Lg g4
No pen, I give you that.

The point is, LG can't compete when it comes to screen quality and viewing your device in direct sunlight. Even their camera (as good as it is) isn't as good as what Samsung puts out. And yes, most of us still use desktops & laptops. (Although, not nearly as much....at least for me) lol They DID however make a smart move and keep ext sd cards & removable batteries for the folks that still appreciate that option.
The fact is, Samsung has led the field in marketshare for the past 5 years now (despite their lackluster recent quarterly financials) , so their obviously doing something right. Most Samsung fans love all the bells & whistles, which is why they continue to dominate. Sure, they don't always knock it out of the park, but neither does any other manufacturer. Samsung isn't afraid to take chances, and that's one of the things that makes them so appealing to most fans of their products.
Are they going too far with releasing so many flagship devices in one year? Absolutely. But that's Samsung. Flood the market with new innovation and see what sticks. I'm sure that next year they'll get back to basics while incorporating the things that did stick, to put into the new S7 and Note 6.
As mentioned, the beauty of Android is that we have so many amazing choices. While overall I prefer Samsung devices, I can still appreciate all the other great flagships out there. Folks that are new to the world of Android can't go wrong with any Flagship device currently on the market.

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG g4
Lg g4
What's a desktop?
Lg g4
No pen, I give you that.

I've read several (well actually many many) reviews about the LG G4 and a lot of them were about its camera. Mainly because it was the one point LG was trying to impress upon everyone about how great it was. Wade through the net and check out all of the G4 vs this phone, G4 vs that phone and it rarely ever came away as a resounding winner. If you aren't fiddling with Pro mode (who does that?) then you aren't getting the best photos possible.

I had a lot of interest in that phone because I have been using Samsung's phones for so long that I wanted to see if the grass was greener on the other side. I like what LG has done with the size of their phones because I am getting tired of having humongous phones on me and LG is the king of phone size vs overall screen size. I didn't like the buttons on the back of the LG G3 and they kept them there on the G4. I guess it would just take some time to get used to I'm sure.

LG cannot compete with Samsung in the mobile screen market. Samsung has held that crown since the S5 came out. Even with their IPS screen they haven't matched Super Amoled. Not in outside brightness nor color clarity.

Does LG have a PC software suite? That is what I was meaning by desktop although all I have ever owned are laptops. I will be building a desktop here shortly though. Can you wirelessly sync your phone to the PC to backup everything?

My phone can display itself on my fridge. So can my TV. If I want to watch television while cooking, want to make phone calls without using my phone I can do it all through my fridge. I would be surprised if LG fridges couldn't do that too since if I remember correctly their fridges can text message you as well concerning the contents of the fridge.

The discussions about sdcards and batteries are lost on me. They aren't necessary, but I see where they are attractive to some. Even our poll here showed that most of the votes tallied were not in favor of keeping either of them or else!

If I were to use another Android OEM it would be LG.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
This could not be described no other than FAIL. Even at the keynote, just from the crowds reaction, you could tell the disappointment in the crowd.
Fast wireless charging "2 hours is not fast cheering", really, I can't fast charge while I am on the go, LOL= No one cares.
Small "non removable" battery =Fail
No micro SD card =Fail
Clickable s-pen removal system, more moving parts to fail, what is so hard about pulling out the pen, never had an issue with it, so again =Fail
4 GB of Ram, not needed =TW is the problem and it's poor Ram management system,which I can attest is horrid.
I wish I could both agree and disagree with this....

some very good points...
non-removable battery = fail... wth sammy... bad move
no micro-sd AND no 128gb option = BIG FAIL

clickable s-pen removal = cool feature, it may or may not break but it's definitely not a fail... I like the idea
4gb of ram is NOT a fail and TW does not hog that many resources... I've seen you complaining ALL WEEK about TW... that's your opinion but honestly I've never had an issue with it and even side by side the miniscule amount of supposed slow down doesn't affect day to day use (at least for me, that's my opinion)
wireless charging is nice, 2 hours isn't fast? seems pretty fast for wireless to me, then again I've never used wireless charging, so I'm not sure.

I WILL NOT be getting this phone, which sucks because I really wanted it to be my next phone... I'm gonna start looking at the G4 and the moto pure

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
I think I'm going to stay with my Note 3 as long as possible. Feeling very underwhelmed by the newest ones. Might think about the Note 4 since the price will be coming way down. I run the majority of my apps from the SDcard so not having one is a game breaker for me...not to mention I finally got my Note 3 paid for so no more payments to AT&T. Not sure if i want to start the $30+ payments on my bill again right now. Just in case...is there a root method out that works on the Note 4?

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
The amount of negativity from some people here amuses me to no end. We get it, you don't like the phone, or Samsung. But that doesn't mean you have to spew your negativity in every post about the new phones. We all knew Samsung was going to keep with the trend. Hell, we all know they already have their minds made up about a phone a long time before it is manufactured. You don't like it? Don't get the darn phone!

/steps off soapbox

Sent from my Verizon G4
Wow Jackiescivic tell them how you really feel! Boom!

c809cb5664db9e085bab6b0c3e51a164.jpg

Sent from my GNOTE4 using Tapatalk

Batman8

Reaction score
This is absolutely RIDICULOUS and a slap in the face to power users like myself!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have several of the Note products but with no removable battery and no SDcard slot, there is no way to even take this device seriously. The data folders alone for high end HD games take up 2-3GB of data easily. Samsung, you have screwed us for sure this time so all I can say now is...No SDcard, NO PURCHASE! Forget you Samsung!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: