Rumor: Verizon Launching LTE Network on Nov. 15th; 4G Handsets on Black Friday

Darkseider

Reaction score
Well so far the experts are saying that what your saying is wrong. While they may not be LTE ready they will be CDMA ready, from everything that has been leaked. And even having a CDMA and GSM version will already fragment apples devices, but to a minimal amount, seeing as everything else would be the same.

Don't want to burst your bubble but do you honestly think that a CDMA version of the phone would already have been leaked? Seeing that the iPhone 4 was leaked all over hell and creation. Not to mention it would have a higher chance of being leaked because it would have to go through far more extensive testing over the already established GSM phones they have been making. 2012.

Saying that bloomberg and quite a few others have already stated it, believe what you wish. There were already FCC plans for a iphone on CDMA, so do i believe they are going to come out with one... why not? Merely saying that right now the experts are saying your wrong.

These being the same experts that said it was happening in 2008, 2009, Jan. 2010, May 2010, June 2010, Nov. 2010, Dec. 2010 and now 2011. Hell I can keep guessing a new month or year and eventually get it right too! These same RUMOR experts have also said that Sprint and T-Mobile were going to carry the iPhone too. Again. There will be NO CDMA iPhone. CDMA totals 10% of the worldwide cellphone market. Until LTE is well established throughout the US by both Verizon AND AT&T which is 2012 you will not see an iPhone on Verizon.

A side note. These are the same experts, including Barclays and a bunch of other knuckleheads, that said the iPad was coming to Verizon. You wonder why no one listens to experts?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Me and a few other folks said a 4G phone from Verizon was possible this year because Verizon said they would have Tablets at years end that could be updated/upgraded to 4G, and Sprint having some 4G phones out now, it was only a matter of time for Verizon to catch up.

I remember reading that too about 3G staying unlimited and 4G being tired. That would make for an interesting decision: Get one of the new Super Phones in Nov and deal with tiered plans....or stick with 3G and unlimited plans and use the phones that are currently out. This makes the X a mighty good 3G choice too IMO.

This might actually make me wait. I .......might skip getting the X now........must......get.....more......info......from......HoFo folks.........

LrdElderon

Reaction score
I wonder if this initial list speed is permanent or just the speed they are starting out with until they get over the initial rush of people switching to 3g. Not that what they are listing is slow by any means, but when you look at what the data speed is theoretically on say... Tmobile..... makes you kinda go hmmm.

Wiki says Tmobiles spec it uses now can scale up to 21mb/s, i believe I read. so 5-12 seems a bit stingy for 4g/lte. I think the spec sheet I found says it supports up to 150mb/s?

I also agree with the poster saying sprint is probably going to have a lot of new customers if these tiered plans are stupidly priced. I agree with letting cheapskates and users who hardly use the phone to be able to use lesser data plans and get fined overages if they use too much, but the unlimited phone only option should stay. Fine the users who tether torrents and crap.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
...There will be NO CDMA iPhone. CDMA totals 10% of the worldwide cellphone market. Until LTE is well established throughout the US by both Verizon AND AT&T which is 2012 you will not see an iPhone on Verizon.

Actually CDMA accounts for closer to 20% of the worldwide market with continuing expansion in China according to everything I could get my hands on. I haven't seen any reports showing it as low as 10%. Regardless, it is the hands-down dominant technology in the US so I wouldn't be surprised to see one crop up.

As for speculation on when, I'm not clairvoyant so I'll wait for an official announcement sometime this decade.

nerdkill

Reaction score
woo hoo. now it's so much easier to wait for a new phone.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
At speeds of 10mbps, I'd strongly consider dropping home broadband and tether :)

What will be more interesting is if VZW starts including cell plans as part of their FIOS service. One stop shopping. Or maybe I'm just not fully understanding the relationship and strategy between the services.

Chillson

Reaction score
At speeds of 10mbps, I'd strongly consider dropping home broadband and tether :)

What will be more interesting is if VZW starts including cell plans as part of their FIOS service. One stop shopping. Or maybe I'm just not fully understanding the relationship and strategy between the services.

Haha well they do offer one bill, where you can have all your Verizon seriveces (Verizon Wireless and Fios) on the same bill.

frylock

Reaction score
I remember reading that too about 3G staying unlimited and 4G being tired. That would make for an interesting decision: Get one of the new Super Phones in Nov and deal with tiered plans....or stick with 3G and unlimited plans and use the phones that are currently out. This makes the X a mighty good 3G choice too IMO.

This might actually make me wait. I .......might skip getting the X now........must......get.....more......info......from......HoFo folks.........

I am sure that whatever 4G phones come out will have both 3G and 4G, much like the Evo does, and so there's no reason you wouldn't still have unlimited 3G on a 4G phone. After all, not everywhere in the US will have LTE at launch. So they need to sell the phones now, and let them connect as the network expands.

clucernoni

Reaction score

I am sure that whatever 4G phones come out will have both 3G and 4G, much like the Evo does, and so there's no reason you wouldn't still have unlimited 3G on a 4G phone. After all, not everywhere in the US will have LTE at launch. So they need to sell the phones now, and let them connect as the network expands.

I'm not so sure that the 3g will be unlimited though, which would be a major disappointment for me. I agree that 4g should be tiered and 3g still unlimited, but I doubt that will be the case.

soulpatch

Reaction score
And this is why I have two lines and my wife is gracious enough to get my hand me downs. HA HA. At least one new phone every year so I will get the X this month to hold me over then get the Droid Pro when that comes out.

frylock

Reaction score
I'm not so sure that the 3g will be unlimited though, which would be a major disappointment for me. I agree that 4g should be tiered and 3g still unlimited, but I doubt that will be the case.

Verizon has already come out and said that 3G would be unlimited still. Only 4G will get tiered.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^If thats the case, Verizon just one upped AT&T big time...The balls in Sprint and T Mobile's court now.

frylock

Reaction score
AT&T were morons with their plan. Sprint and Verizon played it smart. Add new fees for new services, and people will understand. AT&T just lost potential new customers with no all you can eat option, as well as alienated existing customers by pulling the rug out from underneath them.