[Rumor] Verizon Planning Prepaid LTE Service - Launching July 17th

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jul 10, 2014.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Here's a juicy rumor that slipped by us during the Independence Day holiday weekend. Apparently, Big Red may be planning a new prepaid LTE service which will launch on July 17th. Here are the details,

Hmmm... what do you guys think of this? Would it be something worth investigating?

Source: @evleaks
  2. cr6

cr6 DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Interesting. I guess I just assumed everyone had access to 4G on their 4G enabled device regardless of whether they were prepaid or on contract. That said, why bother getting a smartphone if you've only got 500mb to work with? (Let alone 3gb) I would think even the lightest of users would go through that in a week. I suppose if Wi-Fi is available everywhere you go this may be a viable option.
    That or I'm just a data whore!

tap'n on my S5
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  3. squeak

squeak Member

The "works with any LTE-capable handset" bit is interesting, but I'm sure it means "works with and Verizon LTE-capable handset".
    cr6 likes this.
  4. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. We were traveling abroad a few years ago and bought SIMS + 500MB data plans for two Droid 3s. For both phones, we raced through the data in about 2 days each, just doing normal stuff like email, light web, and some Google Maps. Admittedly if you have a good source of wifi, then 500MB could last longer than a week...but that just begs the LTE/4G question in the first place.

On a related note: ended up buying the Moto G GSM w/LTE for my daughter and put it on a plan from Straight Talk, and while we don't get any signal in our house, she gets full bars from AT&T in town. The plan includes unlimited voice/texts, plus 3GB of data at LTE for $45 + tax. MUCH, MUCH better than VZW's prepaid offerings.

-Matt
  5. cybertec69

cybertec69 Well-Known Member

This is just another way for them to sell you more data. If T-Mobile and Sprint can sell you unlimited data, then you know Verizon and AT&T can do the same, but because they know they have most people by the you know what, do to their nationwide coverage, they can gauge you to no end. Modern day extortion, guns not needed.
    cr6 likes this.
  6. grenefroggie

grenefroggie DF Super Moderator

I know AT&T GoPhone plans have access to LTE. I just popped a SIM card in a GS2 Skyrocket. Pre-paid customers should have access to the same voice and data speeds.
  7. shockracer

shockracer Member

I too was thinking the same thing, VZW to let Any LTE device on there network, "I" didn't see all the moon's align.
Search tags for this page

straight talk offer verizon lte

straighttalk verizon 4g july 17
verizon july 17 prepaid 4g