Rumor: Verizon Launching LTE Network on Nov. 15th; 4G Handsets on Black Friday

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
tb
11aizpj.jpg

According to BoyGeniusReport, Verizon will be launching its LTE (4G) network to 25 markets in the United States starting on November 15th, 2010. According to this anonymous source, these 25 markets will cover over 100 million people. Unfortunately, LTE-capable handsets will not be available until Black Friday, November 26th.

And as you may have suspected, LTE data plans will be tiered. However, there will be no $10 premium charge for access to the 4G network.

These dates do fit in line with rumors of the past that hinted toward an LTE release before the end of 2010. If these rumors hold true, this will be exciting for the mobile world. Verizon has stated that its LTE should average between 5-12Mbps downstream and 2-5Mbps upstream.

Again this is simply a rumor. Take it for what it's worth.

Source: BoyGeniusReport

Last edited:

bd1212

Reaction score
Kick Pretty Pink Flowers. That is all.

Last edited by a moderator:

bd1212

Reaction score
Aww...BNB, why did ya have to edit my post. D=

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
A Question on Verizons 4LTE

I was told by someone That the android phones such as droids Can get a easy os/system update to make droid compatible for a 4g network...Just wondering if some one can confirm

Darkseider

Reaction score
Would be nice to see the Droid Pro as one of those LTE handsets.

Darkseider

Reaction score
I was told by someone That the android phones such as droids Can get a easy os/system update to make droid compatible for a 4g network...Just wondering if some one can confirm

Nope. Different antenna/frequency. Sorry.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

unless VZW can push out all new hardware with that OTA it won't happen : )

chuckz28

Reaction score
Funny how I was all excited about 4g for the last year or so but now not so much. The mention of tiered data plans on top of another 10 dollars means if I continue to use 3-6 gb a month then verizon is going to bend me over. This may be my last contract with verizon. If they were really smart they would continue to stay unlimited as I know of a few AT&T customers that are going to be leaving when their contract is up because of their tiered data caps. We will all end up on sprint with unlimited 4g cheaper than verizons and AT&T's capped 3g. Pisses me off.

sbcale

Reaction score
From the BGR article:

LTE data plans will indeed be tiered, but Big Red won’t be pulling a Sprint and charing a $10 premium for access to its 4G network.

And as you may have suspected, LTE data plans will be tiered, and there will be a $10 charge for premium access to the 4G network (you can thank Sprint for this ingenious idea).

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
From the BGR article:

LTE data plans will indeed be tiered, but Big Red won’t be pulling a Sprint and charing a $10 premium for access to its 4G network.

And as you may have suspected, LTE data plans will be tiered, and there will be a $10 charge for premium access to the 4G network (you can thank Sprint for this ingenious idea).

i was just testing you :icon_eek:

seriously, thanks for pointing out my error.

Chillson

Reaction score
Does this make the rumor about the iPhone in January any more reliable? I remember a discussion being, the iPhone won't come to Verizon till their LTE network is deployed or up and running. That and a rumor a couple weeks ago said the iPhone was coming to Verizon around Christmas.

Aside from that, this next year for phones is going to be pretty awesome, considering what are being put into more and more phones today, compared to a year ago. (at least in the US anyways) I have a Droid now that I've had since November, and the Droid X looks tempting. My whole family is actually going to get it (father, mother, brother), but we all know how technology works pretty much on every level, get something today something better and faster is around the corner. Like this 2ghz phone from Motorola at the end of the year? If this story is correct, then we can assume that that phone is going to have LTE capabilities right? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

azules9780

Reaction score
Yeah I just saw on MSN that Verizon gets the iPhone in January because Verizon's LTE will be up and running by then. Who knows, I guess the Iphone will be cool for my wife because she would want that but I personally could care less. Only thing I'm interested in are 4g Android phones.

Xpain

Reaction score
/\ /\ /\ that's what's bothering right now. The X is tempting, but I also wanna wait until the end of the year because I know there will be a super-smartphone coming out... decisions, decisions...

clucernoni

Reaction score
To be honest the tiered plans are a big deterrent for me. If I get a 4g phone, will I be able to sign up for a 3g plan only and not use 4g at all? Or will I still be tiered if I just turn off the 4g and use the 3g? I feel like if one doesn't connect to the 4g network, then it shouldn't be tiered in Verizons case.