Rooting and installing a ROM without a computer

DCBCANES

Reaction score
HI all i am new to the whole rooting and rom thing. I have a insurance replacement dx and would like to try rooting and installing liberty or cryogen(i know i probably murdered the spelling) but i don't have a pc. i know i can use z4root to root the device but im not sure what benefits that alone will give. Any information would be a great help. Thanks

jchammer123

Reaction score
Once rooted, there are several ways to install a rom directly from your phone. You can use rom manager, or just download the rom from the droid forums app. Do some more research though as I'm not to familiar with the DX.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
D

DCBCANES

Reaction score
Thanks.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Go grab dx bootstrap..and rom manager..push the flash clockwork mod recovery button and it will ask what kind of phone hit droid x then you can also get to recovery by hitting bootstrap then it will say ok success then hit rebbot recovery... just use rom manager or keep looking here in the forums as they installs are everywhere! And simple.. first thing you need to do after flashing clockwork is back rom..and then reboot and you'll be ready!:)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
First off, are you on Android 2.2 (Froyo) or 2.3 (Gingerbread)? If you are on Gingerbread you will need to SBC back to Froyo using a computer.

MIUI

xmguy

Reaction score
First off, are you on Android 2.2 (Froyo) or 2.3 (Gingerbread)? If you are on Gingerbread you will need to SBC back to Froyo using a computer.

MIUI

Usually I know my way around Flashing (BTW sorry if I'm hijacking this thread) Motorola Droid phones. I've had a Droid X (and X2 and D2 and Droid) I too had to get a Droid X replacement (had a X2 and a HTC Inc 2 before. X2 is a TOTAL POS! Inc 2 can't be rooted and it too can't compare to the OG X.) Anyway.. The last X I had got wet stopped working. I had it running .596 stock rooted. The X I got is already running 2.3.3. I assume all I need to do is SBF back to 2.2 then I can install CM7 from there? I've never gotten a Droid X with 2.3.3 already pre loaded.

Last edited:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you need to sbf, root, then install CM7 with Droid 2 bootstrap

MIUI