Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That's pretty much how I read it. As I believe I stated earlier, I don't see kickstarter doing anything for us. Sure, their system glitched like it never has before, but I don't think the odds are looking very good here. Too bad.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Kickstarter covers their own butt and nothing more. Look up Goblins: Alternate Realities. You'll find a webcomic artist who had a nervous breakdown over the whole affair when a game company raised a lot of money to make a game based on his creation, then the owner grabbed it and legged it, leaving him high and dry. So now he's making the game himself and not getting any money for it.

Kickstarter refused to give out the backer information when he took over. They also didn't do anything towards recovering the money or anything. They got their cut, they wanted nothing more to do with it.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Making money hand over fist, getting community good-will, and doing almost nothing for it. I think they got lampooned pretty accurately by South Park in that one episode, though it went over the top like South Park does.

I still think (keeping it semi-in-line with the thread's intent) that they're not going to get 200 hardcore users like they were intending. Do you really think if you get one you can do the 15 hours/week every week for the next, say, three months?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I mean, I'll use the heck out of it at first, but for 3 months? Probably not. I guess it depends on how handy it is vs using my phone or getting the laptop out. If it proves itself to be more useful than the phone & quicker than booting up the laptop, maybe.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I think the keyboard will make a difference in how much you like it. As in, is this a good keyboard or not. I was in Walmart last night and they had some 10" keyboard/tablet case combinations on clearance and a pressed a few keys on one. It had better feel than they keyboard on my bloody Lenovo I'm typing on right now. If it's cramped or feels completely dead or whatever (like the 7" one you referred to earlier), then I'm sure you'll shy away from it.

Also, at 11.6", this thing is unwieldy. It's not of a convenient size to use one-handed, IMO, for any length of time. Maybe the weight will be low enough that it's not fatiguing to use for extended periods of time, but I'm not betting on it. So it keeps coming back to that keyboard.

That may make the difference, but I fully expect them to want at least two months of everyone using it 15 hours/week, and probably three months, as they'll have to test every update. It seems like a lot for people who only wanted a $60 tablet.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Agreed. I've had at least one 10 inch tablet before. It was nice to put in landscape & read, but hard to read for long periods of time. Landscape on my Nexus 7 just looks silly after that, but I can hold it one handed comfortably at length. However, I see myself using this device more for the keyboard, since my phone is a phablet. I think it'll be a nice in-between device whereas my n7 is more of a glorified e-reader that I occasionally play games on. Browsing the Web & typing isn't any better than my phone really.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Did you see someone bit at the $5,000 backer level?

tumblr_m0wb2xz9Yh1r08e3p.jpg

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Holy...! I didn't see that until now. I've been keeping an eye on the total they've had pledged, but not the individual tiers beyond the $349.

OP
Macktion

Macktion

DF News Team
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying that it was me.... But I am also not saying that it wasn't me. :-D

Swyped from my Yoga 8

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm not saying that it was me.... But I am also not saying that it wasn't me. :-D

Swyped from my Yoga 8
If you've got that kinda money to throw around, you should but me one for 350 if I don't get in.

Last edited:
OP
Macktion

Macktion

DF News Team
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh how I wish I did... :'(

Swyped from my Yoga 8

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well, this should be interesting! Good on them for working out a solution. I'll be interested to see this proposed deal...

"Kickstarter
UPDATE on Kickstarter's decision on KS155
Posted by Jide Tech
Hey everyone. While we were still sleeping in Beijing, KS made the executive decision to cancel all the pledges from the KS155. We are a bit surprised they didn't work with us on a better solution to handle this unprecedented situation.
But, like we've been saying all along, we have been brainstorming options for dealing with the KS155 situation and although they all involved some level of support from KS, we're prepared to move forward to keep the KS155 in our community. Though we'll be taking a financial hit, we want to set an early impression with our initial user community about who we are and what we stand for.
TO THE KS155, PLEASE BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR A PRIVATE MESSAGE HERE ON KICKSTARTER WITHIN THE NEXT FEW HOURS FOR OUR PROPOSED SOLUTION.
Thanks again for all y'alls patience so far!
- The Remix Team"

Obviously, I'll keep you folks posted.