Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Still got 29 days to go and they only need $3k to reach their goal. Still not going to get my hopes up at this point and I haven't seen the company itself say anything about dropping the extra 155 backers in my group, so I'm hoping they'll fulfill those orders.

They did, however, post a link in the comments to a quick survey about color options to give them idea of how many of each color they'll need? Comes in Moonlight Silver or some-kinda Red. I voted for silver. Would prefer black, but it is what it is. The red just seems a bit too flashy for me.

They only need about 10 more backers in the $349 tier to reach the goal. Really do hope I get a chance to play with this device.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Time will tell. I would think they would've corrected the issue by now if it was an error or they didn't intend to go ahead with the larger number, but given the choices they've made with this so far, I won't count is as a done deal until the KS campaign closes and my name is still on the list (assuming they can muster the needed $2k more, but the $349 backers continue to creep up, so even if that progress slows to half the speed or less it's been at since yesterday, they've got time to do it.)

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Really annoying that this was all over the various news feeds, but by the time you read it, all the slots were full. The $39 spots, of which there were only 500, were gone in less than 7 minutes...

The only spots left are $349, which I could just pay for the retail version when it comes out, or the $3000 and up slots... LOL

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Really annoying that this was all over the various news feeds, but by the time you read it, all the slots were full. The $39 spots, of which there were only 500, were gone in less than 7 minutes...

The only spots left are $349, which I could just pay for the retail version when it comes out, or the $3000 and up slots... LOL
There were only supposed to be 200 of the $39 slots and 200 at $199. They're planning to sell it for $399 when it officially hits the market, so you've still got a chance to save $50 if you're interested in the device, but most were only interested because of the steep-discount tier. I know I wouldn't have pledged if I didn't get in on the $39 group.

They're sitting at $99,411 of their $100,000 goal without even being up for 24 hours yet. Almost 100 people have decided it was worth the $50 discount to get the $349 tier.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Even to save $50... Paying $350 for a beta platform, when the next gen Shield tablet is coming out with the amazing X1 proc in it, which will blow every other tablet on the market out of the water, for the same price... Doesn't seem like that good of a deal to me...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't know that I'd exactly call it a beta product. They're already available in China. They're using Kickstarter to introduce themselves in the US, but they've already been at this for a while.

Also, I'm not sure that this competes in the same field as the Shield. When I think Shield tablets, I think gaming tablet. When I think of this Remix, I think word processing, excel, long emails, productivity.

Sure, the Shield will be a beast in it's own right, in it's own realm, but I don't see the kind of people who're interested in the Remix for productivity purposes being swayed by the Shield's gaming capabilities. It's apples and oranges.

That said, if I hadn't gotten in on the low tier, I'm not in the market to buy a $350 tablet and I'd have to agree with you that, if the prices were comparable, I'd go with the brand that I know has been around and proven themselves before I went with this new product. Although, again, if I was looking for something to fit into the space between typing out long pieces of work on my phone and typing them comfortably on my laptop, I'd still spend a lot of time researching the Remix option.

Just my opinion, but as I've said plenty of times now, they're two different animals. The ability to Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste just like I'm used to on my PC is one of those little things that I saw missing when I had the Transformer Prime and its keyboard dock.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The plot thickens...From their Facebook page:

"IMPORTANT UPDATE:

To the KS 155, we have seen your questions and concerns regarding the 355/200 issue. We apologize for the delay in responding. We reached out to KS but have yet to hear back from them. If anyone has encountered this situation on KS before, please feel free to share.

Since we set the limit at 200, who knew it was even possible to go over 200. That being said, we are working around the clock to remedy this situation as quickly as possible. You'll be the first to receive updates as soon as they come in. Thank you so much for your support and your patience!

- The Remix Team"

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know that I'd exactly call it a beta product. They're already available in China. They're using Kickstarter to introduce themselves in the US, but they've already been at this for a while.

Also, I'm not sure that this competes in the same field as the Shield. When I think Shield tablets, I think gaming tablet. When I think of this Remix, I think word processing, excel, long emails, productivity.

Sure, the Shield will be a beast in it's own right, in it's own realm, but I don't see the kind of people who're interested in the Remix for productivity purposes being swayed by the Shield's gaming capabilities. It's apples and oranges.

That said, if I hadn't gotten in on the low tier, I'm not in the market to buy a $350 tablet and I'd have to agree with you that, if the prices were comparable, I'd go with the brand that I know has been around and proven themselves before I went with this new product. Although, again, if I was looking for something to fit into the space between typing out long pieces of work on my phone and typing them comfortably on my laptop, I'd still spend a lot of time researching the Remix option.

Just my opinion, but as I've said plenty of times now, they're two different animals. The ability to Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste just like I'm used to on my PC is one of those little things that I saw missing when I had the Transformer Prime and its keyboard dock.

Well, the ability to Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V is more to do with the keyboard, no?

As for the next Shield tablet, sure it is geared for gaming, but that should also apply to productivity... If the same rules apply as they do on the desktop, a desktop that is geared towards productivity, is typically a poor gamer. A machine geared towards high end gaming, will typically handle anything that you can throw at it, including productivity... Today's games require more from a PC than most things that consumers would run... If it rips through HD games, it will usually encode video faster and all sorts of stuff that bleed into the productivity world...

Or am I missing something?

I guess that the benefit is that the Remix will come with productivity apps installed and a keyboard for that purpose, whereas you would likely have to go get those apps and a nice keyboard on your own with the Shield.

Not knocking it at all, I wanted to get on board, but paying almost full retail for an unproven product and that they ask me to be a beta tester for, just not sure I want to do that when there are so many other options available...

Now, if I could get in for $100, absolutely... There is just a tipping point where saving a measly $50 just isn't worth it to me, not when there are some killer tablets in that price range...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I guess that the benefit is that the Remix will come with productivity apps installed and a keyboard for that purpose, whereas you would likely have to go get those apps and a nice keyboard on your own with the Shield.
That was basically my point. It's about the fact that the apps come preloaded and the entire thing was built for the purpose, rather than getting apps and third-party accessories to accomplish what it was built from the ground up to do. You're absolutely right that, from a performance standpoint, the Shield could blow the Remix out of the water, but the fact that the Remix comes with the keyboard and supports "PC-style" keyboard shortcuts (I'm not sure if this is possible with third-party apps and keyboards. Didn't work on the Transformer Prime and the Bluetooth keyboard I bought to use with my Nexus 7 is collecting dust because I went for portability and it's just too small for my long fingers to type on comfortably, so I'm definitely not an expert in this realm.) makes it lean heavily towards the "business" or "creation of content" side of the spectrum and makes things simple and easy for people who know their way around PC shortcuts. I amaze people at least weekly, if not daily with the few that I use on a regular basis. I'm still amazed that so many people don't know how to at least copy, cut, and paste using the keyboard.

Not knocking it at all, I wanted to get on board, but paying almost full retail for an unproven product and that they ask me to be a beta tester for, just not sure I want to do that when there are so many other options available...

Now, if I could get in for $100, absolutely... There is just a tipping point where saving a measly $50 just isn't worth it to me, not when there are some killer tablets in that price range...
I agree completely. As I wait to see what becomes of my pledge, I'm trying to decide what price point I'd be willing to still back them at to get one if they want those in the 155 extra group to pay a bit more. Can't say that I'm sold on paying even $199 at this point, but I might change my mind by the time they have a solution. And if I'm totally just SOL with only the option to pay the $349, as I've already stated, I was never in the market to buy a $350 tablet right now.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Of course, as IT director, I could always find a few good reasons why I need the company to buy me a Surface and I'll get the same kinda setup without paying a dime... ;)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Keep us up to date. Been following this topic heavily.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You can bet I will. I'd definitely love the chance to report on the device if I'm successful. Interested to see where this goes either way though.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm kinda surprised I haven't seen any articles on all of the hub-bub yet. I would've thought someone would jump on this. Might help those of us who may be left out in the cold to get some press...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
well we already have this thread so was not trying to ninja it, especially with @Macktion updating it everyday. Also every time you guys post you bring it back up to the front. But when it get to crunch time (like last day) we could do a final alert. But again not trying to ninja Macs article.