Remix Tablet: Kickstarter with a twist

Macktion

DF News Team
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
remix-tablet.jpg

You have probably already rolled your eyes at the notion of Kickstarted tablets. I know that we have seen plenty go by the wayside, but Jide Technology is taking a different method of attack: Everyone who backs is going to get one.

As stated by their press release sent to me this morning,
Jide Technology is set to run the campaign with a singular goal of finding passionate innovators and early adopters who want to become a part of their first community of users. To build this community from the ground up, they plan to give all their backers, no matter which tier they pledge, a Remix ultra-table. Retail price on the Android device will be $399. The lowest reward tier is set to start at $39. In essence, they are giving away hardware and asking for help in making the next version of their software fresh and inspired by their community.
(emphasis added)

This is an interesting tactic, and it certainly makes it stand out. There are no additional details about terms so it will be interesting to see how this plays out when the Kickstarter campaign launches next Wednesday. But I am hopeful: at best this could turn out to be an amazing deal for the backers, and at worst, a very low-risk opportunity to discover that it might not be your cup of tea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Was there any kind of timeline on when the kickstarter campaign might start? I'd be willing to put up possibly even twice that $39 if it's specs lead me to believe it'll be a decent device.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
This news is on the verge of getting old. If they haven't made major changes they are starting out with what will end up as an obsolete processor before it ever gets launched.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
is there a link to get to it. Id still get it for $39.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It will be interesting to see what their goal will be, but I definitely think I'll pledge at least the minimum. Not a bad price for a new toy, even if it's got outdated specs and I might use a tablet more with a decent sized keyboard to go with it. I liked the ASUS Transformer Prime, but I don't think the software side was quite there with that one and I needed money to travel home, so I sold mine.

I have a small bluetooth keyboard collecting dust in a drawer for my Nexus 7. I went for portability with little to no regard for comfort while using and, as a result, only tried to use it once or twice. Too squished together for my taste. Given that this tablet is supposed to be around 11", that should put it's keyboard size more on-par with the Transformer, which would suit me quite well when I don't have need of the full laptop, which is actually pretty rare if I find the right niche device to fit inbetween.

OP
Macktion

Macktion

DF News Team
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that is my thinking as well, even if the specs are only fair, its not a high cost to find out. The Kickstarter launches on Wednesday March 25th. Not sure about a more specific time than that, but I will absolutely update this when the time comes.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
According to this the tablet is already shipping in China.

Remix is the Android tablet that can replace your laptop

A Tegra 4 isn't a bad chip, per se... 2GB RAM makes up for some sins, too. The article claims the Kickstarter was in February, though... Weird. I think the fact it was written in January probably has something to do with that. Probably waited for more buzz or had some issues to get worked out first. Heck, maybe even that strike on the west coast with the ports being clogged has something to do with it.

Remix

Company website. Has very little useful information, unfortunately.

Where are you seeing the information on the KS start dates?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I found an article via Google that was written yesterday or today that said the kickstarter campaign starts next week.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Methinks they will run out of tablets in the first few minutes, release an apology a day or two later, and then proceed to issue out coupons for a decent percentage off if bought directly.

Any buzz is good buzz for an Android Tablet company.

OP
Macktion

Macktion

DF News Team
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where are you seeing the information on the KS start dates?
Jason Zheng, their marketing manager (we met at CES when I did that video) emailed me the details this morning.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Methinks they will run out of tablets in the first few minutes, release an apology a day or two later, and then proceed to issue out coupons for a decent percentage off if bought directly.

Any buzz is good buzz for an Android Tablet company.
Probably a valid assumption. Will be fun to watch.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If they can't meet their perks and admit so during the funding period, I thought Kickstarter will invalidate the project and issue a refund.

Then again, there are horror stories of people taking the money and running. One of my favorite webcomic artists is trying to produce a game that someone else took like $100k for via Kickstarter and then ditched. The guy who took the money ran a game company, too.

We shall see. If the tablet is unlocked, I can see a lot of really good ROMs getting cooked for it, too.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I will, if money allows, drop $39 on their Kickstarter page knowing that even if I don't see a device, I will be happy to contribute to the building of a new device that could do some good for the tablet market.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
For the most part the items in KS campaigns don't ship until well after the campaign ends. If they want to get publicity and funding they could have advertised it for $100 and received some cash flow if they had inventory. I smell a rat. If the rat is there KS won't even allow it to get off the ground.

I heard originally that they planned for it to have a Tergra 3 so at least the Tegra 4 is a step up.