Rebooting your phone is good?

rage813

Reaction score
I read somewhere before that rebooting your phone once a day or once every two days is good for it and it should be done. Is it true and do you guys do this?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

xixgrimmxix

Reaction score
I do it when needed...

On an ally phone memory is precious. After it runs for so long regardless of task killers or anything phone memory goes down makin the phone run slower at times or even harder draining the battery out. Rebooting helps

sent from lg ally (rooted running velocity 0.3)

Dustin.

Reaction score
Although Android 2.0+ has a built in task killer and frees up memory. At times your phone will run a little sluggish, this is when you do your reboot. Or once a day works too, but im to addicted to my phone to do that xD

So I just do it when I feel needed.

Sent from my DROID X.

ballmore

Reaction score
I reboot at least 3 times a week. Nowadays I don't have to worry about remembering to reboot cuz' I'm always rebooting into recovery to flash a test theme or something. Your phone is a mini computer. Treat as such. If your leave your desktop computer on for a week while using it all of the time it will freeze up on you. Some people even say that you should turn your phone off over night while you are sleeping or atleast an hour a day. I can't do that cuz' I use my phone as an alarm plus I get text messages all hours of the night. Rebooting is good for any type of electronic equipment.

OP
R

rage813

Reaction score
Gotcha im gonna let it run down to zero battery and turn off because the lowest ive let it go is 30 and i want to recalibrate the battery and condition it but im only gonna do this once in awhile

bigjonmoo73

Reaction score
I reboot at least once a day but only because I have the Seidio Extended Battery and the only way to refresh my true battery status is by restarting it.

OP
R

rage813

Reaction score
Bump

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Gotcha im gonna let it run down to zero battery and turn off because the lowest ive let it go is 30 and i want to recalibrate the battery and condition it but im only gonna do this once in awhile

Un-needed with Li-ion batteries.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere before that rebooting your phone once a day or once every two days is good for it and it should be done. Is it true and do you guys do this?
If that seems to help then you have a problem (or several problems) that you should be investigating. I almost never reboot.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I can only speak for the OG Droid, and with that and likely most other devices, rebooting every day is highly unnecessary. I generally reboot the phone after the up time (Settings>About phone>Status>bottom of page) reaches over 100 hours and even then it isn't necessary, I just do it for the hell of it really.

As someone else mentioned, the built in task killer is quite efficient but it does leave some things running that eat up memory such as the Browser, Youtube, The Market, Facebook, etc... I used to be a die hard fan of TasKiller but since Froyo broke it I just got rid of it and don't miss it at all. If you really want to manually kill some apps just go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications and start with the running tab, killing things you recognize and know don't need to be running. After that, switch to the All tab and look through every app you recognize. Some apps tend to run but don't show up under the Running tab, so you'll have to kill them in All. Also this will give you a chance to see which applications store cached data; clearing that can also free up some space and memory on the phone.

Oh and FYI (if you didn't know), if you want to reboot the phone really quick without turning it off or pulling the battery, simply slide open the keyboard and press the CTRL(capitalization key)+ALT+DEL and it will reboot. :)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually about once a month or 2 letting it run down to about 5% will help the battery and phone be more accurate with each other. It doesn't add to battery life, just makes it more accurate on the actual juice left. Below 5% is not good for LI batteries and doesn't help with calibration anyway.

Support Our Troops!! written in some form from a wifi monolith.

lyam

Reaction score
I've found a daily report reboot effective in clearing out "cobwebs". It's particularly noticeable when using the browser.

WRT the battery, li-ion batteries do not have a memory that results in let lower performance over the life of the battery, but they do have on board electronics that, among other things, track charge levels. They can lose calibration over time.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
R

rage813

Reaction score
To the guy that talked about task killers the D2G and the droid pro come with a app called task manager a task killer made by motorola that doesnt harm your phone i have it kill off browser and youtube and things like that