Rebooting your phone is good?

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
I've found a daily report reboot effective in clearing out "cobwebs". It's particularly noticeable when using the browser.

WRT the battery, li-ion batteries do not have a memory that results in let lower performance over the life of the battery, but they do have on board electronics that, among other things, track charge levels. They can lose calibration over time.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Agreed, remember that these phones are in all reality small computers. You'll only be helping your phone.

OP
R

rage813

Reaction score
Bump

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

AlexSB

Reaction score
I turn off my Droid 2 at least once daily, for anywhere around 5-15 mins.

OP
R

rage813

Reaction score
Does that make it faster?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

AlexSB

Reaction score
It actually does, I notice that my phone doesn't really lag anymore after I started turning it off once a day.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
Does that make it faster?

Yes, well in the sense that your clearing the RAM and some TEMP files. Basically the same reasons you would restart your computer.

The reasons you would restart your Windows computer, anyway. Linux is well known for incredibly long, stable uptimes. My linux boxes have gone months without reboots. And since Android is linux-based, why would periodic reboots be all that necessary?

Unless the differences from real linux are that significant...

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
@ Ghostwheel - Exactly. Anyone that has worked with linux would know about this. Windows and Linux have an entirely different method of working with available ram. If you have it, why don't you use it? = Linux. I've had my Droid up for months on end with no problems. Imo, cache cleaners and restarting are just wastes of time and battery life.

Windows is entirely different - its memory management is not as good as there are memory leaks which require you to restart your computer to free up this lost memory. This is not the case for Android (linux) based operating systems.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I've had my Droid up for months on end with no problems.

Yep, I just checked mine (unrooted stock D1) for uptime, and I'm at 18 days. Runs fine, just like it did when first booted up. I don't even remember why I rebooted 18 days ago.

In general, power cycling is not good for hardware. The more you turn something on/off, the shorter its lifespan. Rebooting is something you do when there's a serious issue and no other way to solve it (similar to force killing an app). It was never supposed to be routine maintenance, but we have microsoft to thank for that notion. I'd put regular reboots in there with task killers - not needed for Android.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree with you. I have seen countless users fix minor problems with a reboot. In fact there is a known issue with the d2/x where not rebooting for any extended period of time tends to cause a total failure of media.

tappin and a talkin

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree with you. I have seen countless users fix minor problems with a reboot. In fact there is a known issue with the d2/x where not rebooting for any extended period of time tends to cause a total failure of media.

tappin and a talkin

I thought that's pretty much what I said - you reboot to fix a specific problem, not on a regular basis to try to prevent problems. A reboot should be like cold medicine, not a daily vitamin.

And wow, it sounds like D2/X have serious issues. Glad I stuck with my D1.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
But regular rebooting can prevent you from encountering said problems so why wait for them to turn up? Imo preventitive care is a better idea than waiting for issues to arrise and then deal with them.

tappin and a talkin

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
But regular rebooting can prevent you from encountering said problems so why wait for them to turn up? Imo preventitive care is a better idea than waiting for issues to arrise and then deal with them.

Well, I guess for people who regularly have these problems to begin with, it might be an option. For those of us who have weeks/months of uptime without encountering said problems, it would be a little like buying a magic rock to keep the lions away.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I guess if it works for you than more power to you but lumoping regular reboots in with task killers and anti virus is an extreme statement to me.

tappin and a talkin