Razr Utility bricked my phone, please help ASAP

x25064

Reaction score
This just definitely bricked my phone.

Did option 1 to get a fresh install of ICS, and it says "failed unknown error" on everything from writing the system onward. Now I am stuck at the fastboot screen with no operating system.... Not pleased. No information on here or google about this particular issue. Phone was stock and rooted....

View attachment 53498

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
went into recovery and rebooted the phone normally, seemed to work. But seriously, what the hell?

Reaction score
This just definitely bricked my phone.

Did option 1 to get a fresh install of ICS, and it says "failed unknown error" on everything from writing the system onward. Now I am stuck at the fastboot screen with no operating system.... Not pleased. No information on here or google about this particular issue. Phone was stock and rooted....

View attachment 53498

Interesting. If you were already on ics i can't imagine what caused that. The utility is sound. But you can download rsd lite and then the ics xml file and flash that way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
Yeah man, bone stock. Makes no sense.

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
Oh, now this is great..just finished setting up the phone from being wiped and now every time I reboot the device it boots into fastboot and says "flash failure". I have to go into the recovery again and boot up normally. Is there any way to stop this, or is sideloading .211 my only option?

Reaction score
That will continue to happen because the bootloader failed to flash i believe. The only fix is to flash the 211 fastboot files entirely. You can try the utility again or use rsd lite.

I tend to use rsd more for fresh installs even though the utility works fine.....usually.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
Thanks that was going to be my next question. Ill keep this updated. Amy idea as to why razr utility messed up my phone?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Thanks that was going to be my next question. Ill keep this updated. Amy idea as to why razr utility messed up my phone?

Not sure it is fair to say the Razr Utility messed up your phone, plenty other people have used it with no issue. There could be any number of environmental factors that caused whatever happened to happen.

Utility basically takes commonly practiced procedures and makes them easier for some that might not have experience doing it the long way. There isn't too much that could go wrong when steps are followed correctly.

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
Followed all the steps to the T. Not my first walk in the park..

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P

Was not meaning you did, was saying not sure what could have gone wrong because the list is pretty small. Fastboot with RSD should get you working though, make sure you are using the factory USB cable that came with your phone.

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
Ah my mistake. Going to give it a shot when I get home from work.

Also do you or anyone else notice a slight lag in ICS, especially during 3d gaming?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

I don't think that Sydman was implying the "environmental factors" were you, IMHO. Sometimes, it's just a matter of timing. The entire process involves many steps that require the phone to be in a particular "state" in order for the next step to complete properly. Slight interruptions in the internal operation of the phone, time to reboot, glitches in the PC from which you are running the utility and short stalls of the OS or driver faults, in other words any number of issues I may not be familiar with can cause what is a perfect process in terms of steps and order to fail.

There are potentially [hundreds] of cars rolling off an assembly line at the GM factory every day, all coming from exactly the same process from step one to step 2,000+, and with tolerances that are as fine as .001 inches of precision, and yet - every once in a while cars will fail at the last step...testing. Was there a flaw in the assembly line process? Well if there was, then wouldn't ALL the cars fail?

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I see I'm late to the reply...got sidetracked while composing...:blink:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Ah my mistake. Going to give it a shot when I get home from work.

Also do you or anyone else notice a slight lag in ICS, especially during 3d gaming?

Sadly the extent of gaming on my phone comes to playing Draw Something, which does have lag but that is their problem since the last update killed it.