Trying to return to stock. please help

Samsicle

Reaction score
So I rooted and installed an ics rom according to this series of videos on youtube ([video=youtube;ltarc3gkiTE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltarc3gkiTE]How to Install Driver & Set up Utility - (Gingerbread) Droid Razr (& Maxx) - YouTube[/video]) most everything appeared to work fine. However with a lack of flash videos and the phone wouldn't call to my voicemail, I decided I should go back to gingerbread. Now things are extra bad I think.

While running the restore droid razr to 6.12.173 I get several errors like:
writing 'cdt.bin/ebr/mbr/devtree/boot/recovery/cdrom'... INFOPreflash validation failure FAILED (remote: )​
writing 'preinstall'... INFOimage bigger than partition FAILED (remote: )​
and then nothing more happens, if i turn the screen off then hold all three buttons and select normal powerup it says:
invalid flash mode (S) (boot failure)​
device locked, battery ok, usb connected​
Invalid CG OTV (cG: system): Invalid SP data​
Invalid CG HAB (CG: system, status: 0X004E)​
Invalid CG OTV (CG: system)​

I am using the droid razr utility 1.42 as per the youtube link

Sorry for the long post but I'm hoping to provide some useful information. Any help to get my phone back up and running would be incredibly appreciated.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Samsicle, were you on ICS or had you installed ICS. Once on ICS, you can not go back to GB. I don't think I can be of much help but I know that if the problem is fixable, someone on this forum will know what to do or will be able to help trouble shoot to find a solution.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
S

Samsicle

Reaction score
I'm up in canada where technology lags behind a bit. Stock would be 2.3.6 I put the ICS rom on recently

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Was the rom made for the ICS operating system or was it designed for GB but only had the appearance of ICS? When you installed the rom, did it actually work except for some missing features? GB and ICS are two very different os'... a rom made for ICS will not work on GB or will have many conflicts.

Sorry for all the questions but it might make a difference on what the fix would be to get you back on track.

OP
S

Samsicle

Reaction score
yeah the youtube intructions i followed say its for a gingerbread razr. most everything worked perfectly once i had the ics rom up and running, I could make phone calls and all apps worked as usual. voicemail was the only thing that did not work, I'm not sure why.

Don't be sorry, thanks for the help

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I am searching through threads in the Droid Razr Hacks section to see if I can find anyone who was helped after experiencing a similar problem. Look through those threads to see if you can find anything. You may have to go back to threads before june 30th though. There are two people (Sydman & FoxKat) who will probably be on sometime tomorrow that also might be very valuable for problem. They know their stuff.

OP
S

Samsicle

Reaction score
I think I may have a solution? I believe I need to use rsd lite to load some fastboot files, which I got from here under the rogers canada link. Do i just browse to that xml file and click start in rsd lite?

OP
S

Samsicle

Reaction score
Yeah I tried the droid razr utility, which is the method suggested in the second thread you posted, which led me to the errors in my original post. I think it has to do with the fact that that method is for CDMA and rogers is GSM.

Any thoughts on my suggestion for using rsd lite and that xml file? Not sure what the end result is exactly from that and I don't want to ruin this any further or use up battery power unnecessarily. I believe there's no way to charge from my position.

Again thanks for the swift replies and help

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I am not sure on the rsdlite. I have no idea and do not do anything till you know for sure it will work but I wonder if you were able to get it working for CDMA gb, then ungraded it to ICS using matt groff's utility, if that would work... Because ICS has gsm capabilities.

It is also possible that matt l groff might have a utility for gsm gingerbread.

OP
S

Samsicle

Reaction score
Well I gave it a shot, google searching for the errors I got always said to use rsd lite. And to great relief it worked perfectly. If anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation here's a quick summary of what I did:
  1. Install RSD Lite (I used version 5.7)
  2. download an appropriate xml fastboot file (many non-american carriers are listed on that link I gave earlier in post #7)
  3. Turn off device and hold all three buttons to open boot menu, connect usb cable and select AP fastboot
  4. open rsd lite and browse to the xml file, then click start
  5. give it a few minutes, hopefully things run smoothly and your device is un-bricked

One last time thanks TisMyDroid for taking some time to help me

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Oh wow, samsicle, that is super, super, super! I am so happy for you! And I am definitely keeping this for future reference. Kudos to you!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
OK, so this WAS a GSM phone...that changes things. I am glad you were able to recover and restore. :icon_ banana:

I was in the middle of composing a reply and asking questions, one of which was whether this was a GSM or CDMA phone but that's been answered now. I knew there was some success for GSM phones, as one site mentioned backtracking to Gingerbread for a China phone from ICS 4.0.4.

EDIT! However according to TisMyDroid (below), it seems you were never really on a ICS Kernel but were on a ICS Overlay to the Gingerbread OS and Kernel, so you're back to Gingerbread and remain on the original Gingerbread Kernel. Glad it all worked out.

For those who are on CDMA (Verizon)...

Now, BIG NOTICE HERE!!!

FOR ANYONE considering flashing back to stock Gingerbread from ANY ICS ROM starting with .211 and continuing through .214 and .215 (and I believe also .84, .85, .203, .204, & .206)....STOP! THIS CAN NOT BE DONE (YET). The only versions I believe can be reverted to Gingerbread are .74 & .78 if I am not mistaken.

The main reason is that .211 ICS (and those preceding versions mentioned above) contains a completely new Kernel (the lowest level of the Operating System), and it is NOT compatible with earlier Gingerbread ROMs. Until either a release of the Kernel for Gingerbread along with a method for flashing happens or until the bootloader is unlocked either by Motorola or by the highly skilled developer squads, we can't hope to go back to Gingerbread.

The one big beef I have with these Youtube videos is they appear to simplify things but often times they are making HUGE assumptions or overlook very important warnings. Matt is explicit that you can not go backwards but the videos may cause you to feel a level of confidence that results in you not reading the warnings on Matt's postings. The consequence is that people may try to revert to Gingerbread from ICS and some are bricking their phones.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I should add to what FoxKat has warned that even in Samsicle's case that this was not a success in reverting back to gingerbread from ICS. She still had a gingerbread os with a gb rom (that had the appearance of ics). So, even on gsm/non cdma network, there has not been success in going back once on ICS.