Razr Maxx Car Dock

coreymcl

Reaction score
I just picked up a new Razr Maxx only to find the car dock is missing in action. What I mean is it's been removed from the Verizon website, 1 to 2 month delay in shipping from Amazon and the inability to check out with it in your cart from Motorola's website. Clearly something is going on which sucks for me as I use my phone as my GPS. Coming from a Thunderbolt which I had the car dock for maybe I should have had the car dock in hand before switching device.

Don't get me wrong I love the Maxx I just need that car dock. In the mean time I will keep looking for it.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I have the car dock and it's not that impressive. You have to remove the case off the phone and even then it doesn't hold the phone very secure. I just got a universal one although it doesn't have a magnet to automatically switch to car dock mode it holds phone very secure with the case on.

Sent my new Droid Razr Maxx

xxwabbit

Reaction score
I didn't know the Maxx became activated with a magnet. I got a universal one too even though I don't really like it except it has a really long neck. Now I just got to get that usb cable with the female audio in.

BigE"s DROID

Reaction score
check vzw store for og razr car dock...ive heard maxx fits with a case??

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I didn't know the Maxx became activated with a magnet. I got a universal one too even though I don't really like it except it has a really long neck. Now I just got to get that usb cable with the female audio in.

MAXX doesn't get dock activation with a magnet like earlier Droids. It has circuitry in the USB plug on Motorola docks that tells the phone what type of dock it is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Wow, that sucks. I got two of them from Verizon a few weeks ago, but the second one had to be shipped. I had no idea about the 1-2 month wait. I tried using the Razr dock without the insert, but it really doesn't work. Here's why:

DSC00009.jpg

All I can say is keep looking. Have you been to your local Verizon? Sometimes they can get something even if online is sold out.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Wow, I wonder if I got the Razr dock not the Maxx?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Wow, I wonder if I got the Razr dock not the Maxx?

I believe they're one and the same.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Well if they are, they did a bad job cuz my Maxx fell out the other day while driving down the road. My new universal holds the phone very well plus it goes in with the case on, and stays put.

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Shortley after I got my Razr Maxx I wanted a car dock. My phone before the Razr Maxx was a Droid X and I had a car dock for it. In looking that dock over I discovered it could be taken apart. I removed the slide in plastic insert made to fit my Droid X. Then I removed the second plastic insert by taking out the four screws from the back. After removing the second plastic insert I was able to see and remove the electrical cable and contacts that were for my Droid X. I then reassembled the dock but with out the original slid in plastic insert. My Razr Maxx fits perfect into the altered dock. If I need to have power I simply plug my car charging cable that came with my Droid X car dock and it works fine. Save yourself some money and pick one up on eBay for between $12-15.

Last edited:

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
I believe they're one and the same.

No, they are not one in the same. The Razr dock has an insert that you can take out and put your Maxx in it, but the Maxx will not fit snug and it will fall out while you're driving down the road. You have to buy the car dock that is made for the Maxx. I know, because I had to replace both of my Razr car docks with the Maxx car dock.

Easyryder01

Reaction score
Unfortunately the Max will not fit in the RAZR dock without a skin but with a skin and some persuasion it dis fit. I just tried it. I'm not happy with the amount of persuasion I had to apply but it dis work. The dock has a recess that is for the RAZR and unfortunately that bump on the RAZR is now flat on the Max. I too need the car dock because I am killing the battery quite quickly on my Max.

razramazr

Reaction score
There are several different car docks for these guys available here: Amazon.com: droid
Everything from the Moto one to a few other off brands, but might be worth taking a look considering the different price points.

flipnduc

Reaction score
Shortley after I got my Razr Maxx I wanted a car dock. My phone before the Razr Maxx was a Droid X and I had a car dock for it. In looking that dock over I discovered it could be taken apart. I removed the slide in plastic insert made to fit my Droid X. Then I removed the second plastic insert by taking out the four screws from the back. After removing the second plastic insert I was able to see and remove the electrical cable and contacts that were for my Droid X. I then reassembled the dock but with out the original slid in plastic insert. My Razr Maxx fits perfect into the altered dock. If I need to have power I simply plug my car charging cable that came with my Droid X car dock and it works fine. Save yourself some money and pick one up on eBay for between $12-15.

i did the same thing to my old Droid X dock. I added some rubber padding to it help secure the phone. I can take pics if anyone is interested,

joelbon

Reaction score
I am in the middle of using my old DX dock and an extra Razr dock to make one dock. Both docks come apart pretty easily. The USB plug that is originally in the DX dock simply pops out of the unit. You can then take the board and wires out of the Razr dock and using the cord that you removed from the X dock, you can use it to plug into the board from the Razr dock and use it as an extension cable back to the back of the X dock. Now take the board from the Razr and it fits snugly, without any modifications, to the inside of the X dock. I was able to just push it in place and friction will hold it in place.

This is the point I am at right now. Next I will have to drill a hole in the side of the X dock for the wires to come out from the Razr circuit board. After that I will cut the back of the Razr dock where the USB slider is, down so that it will line up with the port on the Droid Maxx while it is in the dock. I will still have to come up with a way to attach the sliding mechanism from the Razr dock to the X dock, but once I do that than I will have a working dock, including the USB slider, for my Droid Maxx.

This is what it looks like so far. This is the back of the X dock with the circuit board and slider from the Razr dock inserted in it.

View attachment 48574

I will probably not be til next weekend before I finish this project, but I won't have a need for it for another 2 weeks or so. That is when I will be activating my Maxx. I am currently using my X2 until it is updated. Supposedly, there is one coming. Before I sell the phone to my son, I want to make sure that it is working good.

This has been an interesting project so far. I only have about an hour into it right now. I can't see it taking more than another hour or two to finish. I am just slow on my projects. It is easy to start one, but hard to finish.