Razr Maxx Car Dock

DethDroid

Reaction score
Hi All,
I just got my Maxx...actually it will be arriving on Wed...anyway the store sold me the Razr Essentials Toolbox kit but now I am worried this will not work with my Maxx. The kit comes with the HD Station and the car dock. From what I am reading here the Maxx does not fit in this dock? I am mainly concerned with whether it will fit with a case on. I am getting a silicon case. I don't want to have to remove it from the case every time I get in the car. So can anyone tell me, if this dock does not work, will the car dock made specifically for the Maxx allow docking with a case?
Also from what I read at Motorola the HD dock is compatible with both the Razr and the Maxx...does anyone have experience with it? Sorry to ask this many questions but I want to get the right accessories for my new baby. Thanks for your help :)

Easyryder01

Reaction score
The RAZR essentials is basically that it is meant for the RAZR not the Maxx. Another dissapointment to you will be they the dedicated Maxx car cradle you have to remove the silicone case off the phone for it to fit in the cradle. I am facing this dilemma right now. The HD cradle I believe is the same situation too.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Yes, they did not take into consideration cases, when they made the Razr Maxx docks. No idea why. It's a pretty big mistake considering that they did make the Razr docks fit with cases. Currently there are no docks that fit the Maxx if the Maxx has a case of any type on.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I have the car dock and it's not that impressive. You have to remove the case off the phone and even then it doesn't hold the phone very secure. I just got a universal one although it doesn't have a magnet to automatically switch to car dock mode it holds phone very secure with the case on.

Sent my new Droid Razr Maxx

Which universal one did you guy that works with your Maxx with the case on? I have the Ottorbox Commuter and don't want to take it off whenever I want to use the dock.

Frogger

Reaction score
The two phones, razor and razor maxx us different car docks. The Maxx needs a specific Maxx car dock.

William_04_x

Reaction score
Yes, they did not take into consideration cases, when they made the Razr Maxx docks. No idea why. It's a pretty big mistake considering that they did make the Razr docks fit with cases. Currently there are no docks that fit the Maxx if the Maxx has a case of any type on.

It's a HUGE mistake that there aren't any docks that work with VZW silicone, or shell cases. I won't buy a dock that doesn't work with a case. I'll spend $50 for a flimsy factory plastic piece of junk that will hold it with a case though. Build it and take my money please.

From RAZR MAXX

DethDroid

Reaction score
The Maxx dock states right on the box that it 'fits with compatible covers'. I don't know what that is but its not the silicone case they sell. Thankfully that case is easy to remove. Once the phone is docked its secure..at least so far. Just make sure you check the suction at the base now and again. I have gotten in the car only to find it on the floor. Speaking of cases that might work has anyone found one yet? I was looking at the Seidio case as it seems easy enough to get on and off but bulky...the other case is Cruzer Lite. I don't know anything about TPU cases...would this case be easy to remove for docking??

TJon

Reaction score
single cable

I've got the Verizon car dock - works and fits well, but I notice the one on Amazon.com has a single cable for both power and audio. Anyone know where I can buy the cable without having to spend $57 for another dock?

TJon

Reaction score
Garmin base works with car dock

If you have used one of the Garmin NUVI's in the past and used the bean bag mount on your dash, that mount works just as well with the MAXX mount; no problem with a suction cup falling off a window - using the suction mount is illegal in some states anyway, e.g. CA.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I've got the Verizon car dock - works and fits well, but I notice the one on Amazon.com has a single cable for both power and audio. Anyone know where I can buy the cable without having to spend $57 for another dock?

Motorola is the only source I know of that can sell you just the cable. I bought two for my and wife's cars. I don't remember how much they charged me. The great thing about that cable is as soon as you connect the dock, the audio is connected too.

DethDroid

Reaction score
Motorola is the only source I know of that can sell you just the cable. I bought two for my and wife's cars. I don't remember how much they charged me. The great thing about that cable is as soon as you connect the dock, the audio is connected too.

Can you tell me how that audio works....I don't have any special jacks or connections in my car, just a regular old cd player and radio. I have read that others say you can hear calls through the cars speakers. Would I be able to hear calls using that cable? The dock I have came with just the 3.5 cable that I guess plugs into the phone but with no where to plug it in I don't use it.

DethDroid

Reaction score
If you have used one of the Garmin NUVI's in the past and used the bean bag mount on your dash, that mount works just as well with the MAXX mount; no problem with a suction cup falling off a window - using the suction mount is illegal in some states anyway, e.g. CA.

In CA you can place the mount in the lower left corner of the windshield...I think you have like 5 or 6 inch square you can use. I have mine mounted on the dash using the disk that came with it.

TJon

Reaction score
The docks for the Razor and the Razor Maxx are NOT the same. If you got yours from a Verizon store, take it back and they will exchange it. The proper one works fine.

DethDroid

Reaction score
The docks for the Razor and the Razor Maxx are NOT the same. If you got yours from a Verizon store, take it back and they will exchange it. The proper one works fine.

I have the dock made for the Maxx and it does not work with the silicone case. I can "force" the phone into the dock with the case on but it warps the dock and after a short time or after bumps in the road the phone will pop out. Since I don't want to take a chance of damaging my phone I remove the case. It would be nice if the box designated which cases work.