Razr Maxx Car Dock

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR Accessories' started by coreymcl, Mar 3, 2012.

1. razramazr

razramazr New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There are several different car docks for these guys available here: Amazon.com: droid
    Everything from the Moto one to a few other off brands, but might be worth taking a look considering the different price points.

2. flipnduc

flipnduc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i did the same thing to my old Droid X dock. I added some rubber padding to it help secure the phone. I can take pics if anyone is interested,

3. joelbon

joelbon New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the middle of using my old DX dock and an extra Razr dock to make one dock. Both docks come apart pretty easily. The USB plug that is originally in the DX dock simply pops out of the unit. You can then take the board and wires out of the Razr dock and using the cord that you removed from the X dock, you can use it to plug into the board from the Razr dock and use it as an extension cable back to the back of the X dock. Now take the board from the Razr and it fits snugly, without any modifications, to the inside of the X dock. I was able to just push it in place and friction will hold it in place.

This is the point I am at right now. Next I will have to drill a hole in the side of the X dock for the wires to come out from the Razr circuit board. After that I will cut the back of the Razr dock where the USB slider is, down so that it will line up with the port on the Droid Maxx while it is in the dock. I will still have to come up with a way to attach the sliding mechanism from the Razr dock to the X dock, but once I do that than I will have a working dock, including the USB slider, for my Droid Maxx.

This is what it looks like so far. This is the back of the X dock with the circuit board and slider from the Razr dock inserted in it.

View attachment 48574

I will probably not be til next weekend before I finish this project, but I won't have a need for it for another 2 weeks or so. That is when I will be activating my Maxx. I am currently using my X2 until it is updated. Supposedly, there is one coming. Before I sell the phone to my son, I want to make sure that it is working good.

This has been an interesting project so far. I only have about an hour into it right now. I can't see it taking more than another hour or two to finish. I am just slow on my projects. It is easy to start one, but hard to finish.

4. DethDroid

DethDroid Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All,
    I just got my Maxx...actually it will be arriving on Wed...anyway the store sold me the Razr Essentials Toolbox kit but now I am worried this will not work with my Maxx. The kit comes with the HD Station and the car dock. From what I am reading here the Maxx does not fit in this dock? I am mainly concerned with whether it will fit with a case on. I am getting a silicon case. I don't want to have to remove it from the case every time I get in the car. So can anyone tell me, if this dock does not work, will the car dock made specifically for the Maxx allow docking with a case?
    Also from what I read at Motorola the HD dock is compatible with both the Razr and the Maxx...does anyone have experience with it? Sorry to ask this many questions but I want to get the right accessories for my new baby. Thanks for your help :)

5. Easyryder01

Easyryder01 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The RAZR essentials is basically that it is meant for the RAZR not the Maxx. Another dissapointment to you will be they the dedicated Maxx car cradle you have to remove the silicone case off the phone for it to fit in the cradle. I am facing this dilemma right now. The HD cradle I believe is the same situation too.

6. scottysize

scottysize Active Member

Ratings:
    +142
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone XS Max
    Yes, they did not take into consideration cases, when they made the Razr Maxx docks. No idea why. It's a pretty big mistake considering that they did make the Razr docks fit with cases. Currently there are no docks that fit the Maxx if the Maxx has a case of any type on.

7. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +674
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Which universal one did you guy that works with your Maxx with the case on? I have the Ottorbox Commuter and don't want to take it off whenever I want to use the dock.

8. Frogger

Frogger New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The two phones, razor and razor maxx us different car docks. The Maxx needs a specific Maxx car dock.

9. William_04_x

William_04_x Member

Ratings:
    +11
    It's a HUGE mistake that there aren't any docks that work with VZW silicone, or shell cases. I won't buy a dock that doesn't work with a case. I'll spend $50 for a flimsy factory plastic piece of junk that will hold it with a case though. Build it and take my money please.

From RAZR MAXX

10. Last2No

Last2No Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Otterbox Defender and a Slipgrip dock---- works great for me

11. DethDroid

DethDroid Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The Maxx dock states right on the box that it 'fits with compatible covers'. I don't know what that is but its not the silicone case they sell. Thankfully that case is easy to remove. Once the phone is docked its secure..at least so far. Just make sure you check the suction at the base now and again. I have gotten in the car only to find it on the floor. Speaking of cases that might work has anyone found one yet? I was looking at the Seidio case as it seems easy enough to get on and off but bulky...the other case is Cruzer Lite. I don't know anything about TPU cases...would this case be easy to remove for docking??

12. TJon

TJon New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    single cable

I've got the Verizon car dock - works and fits well, but I notice the one on Amazon.com has a single cable for both power and audio. Anyone know where I can buy the cable without having to spend $57 for another dock?

Search tags for this page
car dock for droid razr maxx
car dock for razr maxx
car dock razr maxx
droid maxx car dock
droid razr hd car dock
droid razr maxx car dock
razr maxx accessories

razr maxx car dock

razr maxx essentials pack
razr maxx hd car dock