Razr died last night.:-(

tonyjh63

Reaction score
One minute, it was working fine, next minute it had turned itself off and would't comee back on! Took it to local Verizon store and they couldn't get it to turn on. A replacement is in tge mail...
This ever happen to any one else?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Did the battery drain all the way or did you have a lot of juice left? There have been a few threads of this happening to people, some have gotten it fixed and others were not so fortunate. Sometimes a hard reset will make it come back, but I would hope Verizon would have tried that before ordering a new one (course that might be giving them too much credit).

Hopefully your new one will be better for you. If battery was a factor in your issue remember never let it get below 15% before plugging it in.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
It sounds like the battery went dead. When its plugged in, push the volume down. Do you get a big battery status icon? While you wait for your new phone (which is really a refurbished one) put yours on the charger that came with the phone nonstop for a couple days. If it is able to charge and has at least a 50% charge, try turning it on.

Of course, if you had a lot of problems with your phone then no need to bother. But if you were happy with your phone then it is worth trying because you might be better off with your own than a used one. You actually have a week to mail your phone back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This is why you should use FoxKats method, and calibrate the battery meter.

It can say 50% and really be at 5% remember, never ever kill the battery, charge while powered off to 100%, use to 15% rurn off and charge to 100% and use as you would any other phone... :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Have to say I agree. This can happen when the meter thinks there's more power left in the batter than there really is. The phone will seem fine one minute, the next, the voltage drops quickly and the phone shuts down before you know it. Then because the voltage is so depressed (well under 3V), even with a charger plugged in, the battery is calling for so much current that when the phone tries to boot into Charge only mode, the battery and phone fight for the limited power and you get either the White light of Death, or Bootlooping, or a short flash of the White Light and then nothing.

Still, there could have been another failure, hardware-wise. But I'm willing to bet that phone will be in someone else's hands as a CLNR in the very near future. Verizon and Motorola (and the companies they contract with) have the battery analyzers that can determine if the battery is salvageable and if so, they can jolt them back into a usable state. As said before, over 90% of phones returned for "bad batteries" turn out with batteries that are completely normal and functioning up to specs. It's a combination of poor instructions, poor training of the Verizon store staff (and Authorized dealers), people not reading the instructions, and the unique characteristics of these batteries, coupled with the difficult task the phone has of determining just how much power it really has.

So, all together now...

Charge to 100% with power off.
Use to 15%.
Charge to 100% with power off.

Rinse and repeat every 2-3 months. (Note; forget the rinse part). :biggrin:

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
This is why you should use FoxKats method, and calibrate the battery meter.

It can say 50% and really be at 5% remember, never ever kill the battery, charge while powered off to 100%, use to 15% the low battery warning, power off, charge to 100%, use to 15%, power off and charge to 100% and use as you would any other phone... :)

I thin you has a typo, no? You sez to charge to 100%, use to 15%, charge to 100%, use to 15%, charge to 100%...that's one too many charge and use, yes? :biggrin:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It sounds like the battery went dead. When its plugged in, push the volume down. Do you get a big battery status icon? While you wait for your new phone (which is really a refurbished one) put yours on the charger that came with the phone nonstop for a couple days. If it is able to charge and has at least a 50% charge, try turning it on.

Of course, if you had a lot of problems with your phone then no need to bother. But if you were happy with your phone then it is worth trying because you might be better off with your own than a used one. You actually have a week to mail your phone back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Also, like TisMyDroid says, if you are beyond 14 days, it will be a CLNR (Certified Like New Replacement), which simply means someone else's phone that might easily have been sent in for the exact same problem. We have a few Verizon and Authorized Dealer reps on here who can attest to just how rampant this problem is and how many phones are returned for apparent "bad battery". Truth is these phones will be in someone else's hands in just a very short time again - just like you, as CLNRs.

If you are IN your first 14 days, you will want to make sure they replace it with a BRAND NEW phone, NOT a CLNR.

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
Someone will probably end up getting my phone I sent back that had the swelling battery with the same battery in it because the bubble went down after I stopped using it if ends up passing their test. I do hope that this doesn't end up happening though, the fact that the swelling went down likely means that the pack isn't properly sealed as the gases were able to escape which isn't good for LiPo packs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
If it went in for a swelling battery out well swell again when they put it on the analyzer, so it will be replaced. Also, when you reported it as having swelled, that will be noted on the RA.

Finally I suspect the swelling went down not due to a leak, but instead because they were chemically reclaimed during discharge or due to the battery relaxing after being removed from charge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I thin you has a typo, no? You sez to charge to 100%, use to 15%, charge to 100%, use to 15%, charge to 100%...that's one too many charge and use, yes? :biggrin:

Yep i have a typo :) sorry :) I fixed it

Last edited:

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
FoxKat said:
If it went in for a swelling battery out well swell again when they put it on the analyzer, so it will be replaced. Also, when you reported it as having swelled, that will be noted on the RA.

Finally I suspect the swelling went down not due to a leak, but instead because they were chemically reclaimed during discharge or due to the battery relaxing after being removed from charge.

I suppose that might be possible but never seen it happened with any of my puffed LiPo packs in the past, even after sitting for years.

Also from the junk they keep sending me I wonder if they do anything more than put a new housing on these things. Although the NIB phone wasn't any good either.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I suppose that might be possible but never seen it happened with any of my puffed LiPo packs in the past, even after sitting for years.

Also from the junk they keep sending me I wonder if they do anything more than put a new housing on these things. Although the NIB phone wasn't any good either.

Well, I won't say you're wrong for one very good reason...I've never worked directly with LIPO Pouch packs before now, so I can't call myself an expert.

The only thing I can say is that if the pouch does have a leak, I'm very concerned as to why it would vent gas and yet not produce other problems like odor, residue along the side of the phone where the saturated gasses escaped from, and even more importantly why the gas that escaped wasn't accompanied by other even more extreme issues such as explosion or fire.

I'd be real interested in inspecting that battery up close. I sure hope it doesn't become a real hazard for some other unsuspecting new owner. That would be real bad. :mad:

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
I don't think the gases by themselves could leave residue especially with the small amount & speed at which it possibly might have escaped, same goes for any smell.

I'm no expert either but being a RC helicopter pilot I'm quite familiar with LiPo packs. I was quite surprised they chose to use them for small electronics as most of the benefits they offer aren't that important for such device & the potential dangers far out way any benefits that do apply like weight per mAh, not like a LiPo is that much lighter/smaller than a Li-Ion(I guess helps when you're trying to make the worlds thinnest smart phone).

Fire/explosion is general more common during charging(why they sell charging bags) or heavy discharge, probably more often with cells that have physical damage or improper discharge/charge practices, but I've heard of people having their helicopters blow up during flight with new packs(likely had a preexisting flaw).

I've personally never had a LiPo catch fire. I've had them puff, 1 cell in the pack fail, get damaged in crashes, even had one get ripped open from a crash.

I've also never heard of LiPo catching fire in a phone that I can recall but most use Li-Ion, so I guess time will tell. The razr's flimsy housing definitely doesn't seem like the best place for a LiPo to me, at least I can say I have the thinnest smart phone in the world.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
All good information.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

OP
T

tonyjh63

Reaction score
Well, my razr did have quite a bit of juice left when it died, so i really don't think that was the issue. Got my replacement today, but i'm still gonna try what some have suggested - charge my old one and see if i can bring it back to life...wish me luck!