1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Got some hands on time with the Razr

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by BJPalmer85, Nov 9, 2011.

1. BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85 New Member

Went to my local VZW store last night to pick up a replacement phone for the wife. The lady I have been dealing with over the last couple months gave me a Razr to try out (not one of those models that is strapped to the security device).

All i can say is WOW!! Super thin and weighs next to nothing. The screen is amazing! I watched an HD trailer of the new Star Wars MMO on it, absolutely beautiful.

If i wasnt happy with my D3 id be shelling out full retail to pick this thing up.

B
  2. roboblazer

roboblazer New Member

The buzz around the Razr is crazy! Looks pretty sleek. I'd be a bit concerned about the physics of having such a large surface area and being that thin. I haven't read if it's clad with Gorilla glass. The ironic thing is the original Razr was marketed as the perfect pocket phone, which is exactly where mine lived- my right back pocket. I'm sure the new one would fit there too but what if I were to forget about it and sit in a park bench?? Better buy the insurance.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL
  3. Olmanrivah

Olmanrivah New Member

No sweat...it's got Gorilla Glass, Stainless steel case, with a Teflon back. Need I say more...lol!
  4. 916A2

916A2 New Member

LoL @ teflon....its kevlar

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
  5. roboblazer

roboblazer New Member

That's awesome! Perhaps it could stop a bullet? I'll put a pocket in the middle of my back then.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL
  6. RedTarget

RedTarget New Member

Deleted... read one word wrong and threw me off

I really need to wait until my 2nd cup of coffee before posting!
    :blink:
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  7. RedTarget

RedTarget New Member

Maybe they used teflon as the nano coating? lol! Some reviewers have been stating that the Kevlar is a bit slippy. :p
  8. BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85 New Member

the phone is sleek and not "slippy" (LOL'd at that word). fits very well in the pocket (i thought i was going to get tackled when i put it in my pocket)

B
  9. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

Teflon is only used on gangsters to make them unconvict-able! :p
  10. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Dang auto correct, huh:biggrin:
  11. jkaod

jkaod Active Member

And some presidents.
  12. Thach

Thach New Member

I got to play around with one too and agree that its amazing. I just got my Droid 3 a few days ago and the camera wouldn't work and the store said that I would have to wait till tomorrow to get a replacement Droid 3. I am now starting to consider waiting and just going with the Razr.
  13. brandon9559

brandon9559 New Member

This thing is crazy thin...way thinner than I thought it would be. The pic does it no justice.

View attachment 42398
  14. Thach

Thach New Member

Thats for sure. Its almost strange looking because of how thin it really is and how far the end with the camera pops out.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  15. thefuzz

thefuzz New Member

I got to spend about about 20 minutes today with the razr at my local V store. It was still wrapped in it's protective covert so i can not comment on tactile feel. But the phone is amazingly fast and silky smooth to operate. Compared to my X running Liquid 3.0 which i just installed last night, the razr is crazy fast!

It is a big phone! Do not be fooled, it feels much larger in your hand than an X. Single hand typing using Swype will not be easy for anyone with small hands. It is insanely thin and light. It is easily 1/3 the weight of my X. It does not feel like a "real" phone, it is that light! But, the construction is simply superior!

I have read two complaints about the phone. One said the screen has a green hue. I would absolutely disagree. It looked on par color wise with my X. But, i would say the brightness may not be as high. The second complaint was about the volume buttons and three lack of tactile feel. Again, i completely disagree. There is very little play in the keys but they are exactly the same size as the volume keys on my X. And they have a hard click feel to them when you move them. I find them very reassuring in the sense you know you are hitting them correctly.

Well, that is my take on it! Definitely a worthy upgrade from my beloved X!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  16. Vito.a

Vito.a New Member

I stopped by our local VZ store and played with two new Razr's. I bricked the first when playing with the Text option. It came up with a warning that it was running the Verizon demo and gave us three options, but none of the options worked. Could not turn power off either. We tried the power/volume up button reset several times, but it would not reset. The tech was still working on it when I left. The second phone worked well on everything I tired. Cruising the internet was smooth. Some of the web sites have a special cell phone option, but it is not necessary on this phone. The display is large enough that you can expand the portion you need and select your window. Also, even in 3G it was very fast and silky smooth. The contacts organization was great and email worked well. I played with some of the settings and I really like the display. I think if you give Moto Blur a few days you will love it, especially with Ice Cream Sandwich. Some of the new HD displays are very dark, but the Razr is bright and the colors were sharp.

I am a hard keyboard person, so I am trying to get used to the soft keyboard. All my friends tell me to give the soft keyboard a try and I’ll get used to it. I mistyped a few words, but it usually catches them and I was able to edit before sending. It has 2 keyboard options, one with dedicated number keys and one with them on the shift above the top row of letters. Both worked well, but it will take me a while to get used to instead of a hard keyboard. I tried the voice option for texting and it was pretty impressive except for names. Overall, it is large, very thin, very light, and feels good in my hands, but I have been using a Blackberry lately. I think I am about 90% sold, but would like to also play with the Nexus.
  17. DamirD1984

DamirD1984 New Member

I've tried it out today as well... the screen is a lot better than the Bionics, was very responsive. It is what it claims, thin, sturdy, fast...
  18. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

Sounds like that first phone needed a battery pull! If that hard reset option doesnt work, that's not good.
  19. Artimis

Artimis New Member

I got 20 - 30 minutes of hands on with this phone today. I've been holding out for the Nexus but I'm pretty impressed/tempted after playing with the Razr.

One thing I noticed though is that while I was playing with it, the screen got really hot (it was plugged in). I have had lots of Moto Droid phones have their backs heat up under heavy use but never the screen. I suppose since the phone is so thing, the heat has to disapate somehow but I am wondering what the long term effects on the display will be or if it will affect touch sensitivity.
  20. nubia

nubia Member

Artimis

Good point.... I'm only half way sold on this phone. I have a person at best buy holding me one for Friday... I'm trading my bionic for it....... I think.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums