Got some hands on time with the Razr

Vito.a

Reaction score
I stopped by our local VZ store and played with two new Razr's. I bricked the first when playing with the Text option. It came up with a warning that it was running the Verizon demo and gave us three options, but none of the options worked. Could not turn power off either. We tried the power/volume up button reset several times, but it would not reset. The tech was still working on it when I left. The second phone worked well on everything I tired. Cruising the internet was smooth. Some of the web sites have a special cell phone option, but it is not necessary on this phone. The display is large enough that you can expand the portion you need and select your window. Also, even in 3G it was very fast and silky smooth. The contacts organization was great and email worked well. I played with some of the settings and I really like the display. I think if you give Moto Blur a few days you will love it, especially with Ice Cream Sandwich. Some of the new HD displays are very dark, but the Razr is bright and the colors were sharp.

I am a hard keyboard person, so I am trying to get used to the soft keyboard. All my friends tell me to give the soft keyboard a try and I’ll get used to it. I mistyped a few words, but it usually catches them and I was able to edit before sending. It has 2 keyboard options, one with dedicated number keys and one with them on the shift above the top row of letters. Both worked well, but it will take me a while to get used to instead of a hard keyboard. I tried the voice option for texting and it was pretty impressive except for names. Overall, it is large, very thin, very light, and feels good in my hands, but I have been using a Blackberry lately. I think I am about 90% sold, but would like to also play with the Nexus.

DamirD1984

Reaction score
I've tried it out today as well... the screen is a lot better than the Bionics, was very responsive. It is what it claims, thin, sturdy, fast...

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I stopped by our local VZ store and played with two new Razr's. I bricked the first when playing with the Text option. It came up with a warning that it was running the Verizon demo and gave us three options, but none of the options worked. Could not turn power off either. We tried the power/volume up button reset several times, but it would not reset. The tech was still working on it when I left. The second phone worked well on everything I tired. Cruising the internet was smooth. Some of the web sites have a special cell phone option, but it is not necessary on this phone. The display is large enough that you can expand the portion you need and select your window. Also, even in 3G it was very fast and silky smooth. The contacts organization was great and email worked well. I played with some of the settings and I really like the display. I think if you give Moto Blur a few days you will love it, especially with Ice Cream Sandwich. Some of the new HD displays are very dark, but the Razr is bright and the colors were sharp.

I am a hard keyboard person, so I am trying to get used to the soft keyboard. All my friends tell me to give the soft keyboard a try and I’ll get used to it. I mistyped a few words, but it usually catches them and I was able to edit before sending. It has 2 keyboard options, one with dedicated number keys and one with them on the shift above the top row of letters. Both worked well, but it will take me a while to get used to instead of a hard keyboard. I tried the voice option for texting and it was pretty impressive except for names. Overall, it is large, very thin, very light, and feels good in my hands, but I have been using a Blackberry lately. I think I am about 90% sold, but would like to also play with the Nexus.

Sounds like that first phone needed a battery pull! If that hard reset option doesnt work, that's not good.

Artimis

Reaction score
I got 20 - 30 minutes of hands on with this phone today. I've been holding out for the Nexus but I'm pretty impressed/tempted after playing with the Razr.

One thing I noticed though is that while I was playing with it, the screen got really hot (it was plugged in). I have had lots of Moto Droid phones have their backs heat up under heavy use but never the screen. I suppose since the phone is so thing, the heat has to disapate somehow but I am wondering what the long term effects on the display will be or if it will affect touch sensitivity.

nubia

Reaction score
Artimis

Good point.... I'm only half way sold on this phone. I have a person at best buy holding me one for Friday... I'm trading my bionic for it....... I think.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Vito.a

Reaction score
I also noticed the new Razr was hot, but it was the back that was hot. In fairness, these demo phones get used heavily.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
For me the Razr is too light and if not exactly "slippery" it bounces in the hand. That being said an otterbox or perhaps a formfitting silicon case would be the ticket.

What worries me if it gets warm then putting a case on the phone might make it worse.

Why Kevlar when carbon-fiber would be much a stiffer and stronger back? The only 'hard' thing about the Kevlar is the resin they use.

Vito.a

Reaction score
Not sure if you tried both volume buttons or if you just typed wrong but the reset is Power/Volume DOWN.

The Verizon Tech said it was Power volume up pressed together, but of course when that did not work I tried power/volume down and even power with both volume buttons, but it was locked up solid. I was at the store for at least 40 min and he was still working on it when I left. This particular phone has done this before as he said "Not again". The other Razr I played with worked perfectly.

rza49311

Reaction score
The Verizon Tech said it was Power volume up pressed together, but of course when that did not work I tried power/volume down and even power with both volume buttons, but it was locked up solid. I was at the store for at least 40 min and he was still working on it when I left. This particular phone has done this before as he said "Not again". The other Razr I played with worked perfectly.

Gotcha, not sure how to take that then since it was a demo unit. I guess we'll know soon enough as phones should be arriving today.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you tried both volume buttons or if you just typed wrong but the reset is Power/Volume DOWN.

On the Bionic, Hard Reset (aka Return to Factory Specs) is Power + Volume Up/Down but if you look at Hard Reset Motorola Droid Razr it shows Power + Volume Down

The problem is the first step

1. Turn off the Phone. Press and hold Volume Down button, press Power button.

Please note the first thing.........Turn off the Phone. If the phone isn't turned off to begin with, this won't work. I thought the RAZR had a hole to stick in a paper clip for reset.

fflan513

Reaction score
On the Bionic, Hard Reset (aka Return to Factory Specs) is Power + Volume Up/Down but if you look at Hard Reset Motorola Droid Razr it shows Power + Volume Down

The problem is the first step

1. Turn off the Phone. Press and hold Volume Down button, press Power button.

Please note the first thing.........Turn off the Phone. If the phone isn't turned off to begin with, this won't work. I thought the RAZR had a hole to stick in a paper clip for reset.

Directly from manual: Crash recovery
In the unlikely event that your smartphone stops
responding to touches and key presses, try a forced
reboot—press and hold both Power and the down
volume key for 10 seconds.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually, aaf, I'm not so sure it you're correct. Official Razr manual:
http://www.razrforums.com/pdfs/droid_razr_manual.pdf

Page 55, Crash recovery. Nothing about the phone needing to be OFF. Just make sure to hold the buttons for 10 sec (long time).

Thanks. The Verizon employee mentioned in post #16 should read that. I'm sure that people used to doing a battery pull for such an emergency can use that information. I remember when my iPod froze. I went to the Apple store where the tech showed me the buttons to push. Handy to know.