Should I return my Razr for a Galaxy Nexus??

brightside

Reaction score
I have been waiting for what seems like forever for the Galaxy Nexus to be released in the U.S. I am coming from an original MotoDroid! I absolutely loved my first Droid. It just kept getting slower and slower though. It got to the point where it took 5-10 seconds to do everything. Since the middle of October, I've been greatly anticipating the arrival of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. First it was supposed to arrive in beginning of November, then it was postponed till the end of November, then it was postponed till December.....
I couldn’t wait any longer. Right before Thanksgiving, I stopped by VerizonWireless to check out the Razr. I was amazed by how zippy and responsive it was. I couldn’t resist and I picked up their last Moto Razr using my New every two discount.
Now, I am torn. The Galaxy Nexus is being released this Friday. From everything I’ve read, the Nexus is going to be sweet. I'm debating whether to return the Razr for the Galaxy Nexus or not.
I love how fast everything loads up on the Razr......
I'm totally loving MotoCast. I have about 200 movies/TV shows on my home PC that I can stream directly to my Razr in HD. I'm pretty sure the Samsung doesn't have MotoCast. There's a program called Subsonic that's supposed to do the same thing but it has been a real pain in the a** to set up on my PC. MotoCast linked up immediately to my PC and is very easy to navigate on my Razr.
I love how customizable everything on the Razr is.
I'm not a big fan about not being able to change the battery on the Razr. Does anyone know if it’s possible to take the phone to a Verizon store and have them swap in a new battery if I needed to?
The specs, as far as the hardware is concerned, seems very similar between the Nexus and Razr. The Nexus does have better screen resolution. Also, the Nexus comes with equiped with Ice Cream sandwich OS. The Razr I understand will get the ICS update in January? Will the Razr be as responsive when the ICS comes out? I just want to make sure the phone I get will last the test of time for the 1-2 years that I'll be using it.
Is anyone else having the same dilemma as I am? Any Razr users thinking of (upgrading?) to a Galaxy Nexus? If so,or if not, could you give reasons why? I love my Razr, but I might love the Galaxy Nexus more. I also might be sorry I gave up the Razr for the Nexus. Aghhh, So Torn......

JP 5.56

Reaction score
This is one of those things I think only YOU can really answer for yourself. I basically did the same thing, giving in and getting a RAZR (my D1 forced me too, not working). I am totally in love with the RAZR now though and the more I read and find out about the Nexus the more I am thinking I really don't want it.

One drawback though is there is indication on Motorola's blog today that makes it sound like the RAZR will not be seeing ICS in January, but rather sometime mid-year.

For me, if the Nexus ever actually releases, and I am within the return period, I will go have a look at it, just to be sure - but I'm fairly certain I wont want to give up the RAZR.

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I've been very happy with my Razr, but I will be closely reading the early Nexus reviews. I have until early February to make a decision, but if I do make the switch (and the phone is released Friday) I am sure it will be within the next 2-3 weeks. ICS and updates from Google top the list of reasons why I am considering switching, but I have been much happier with the Razr than anticipated, so it will be a touch decision.

breedingh8

Reaction score
I have been waiting for what seems like forever for the Galaxy Nexus to be released in the U.S. I am coming from an original MotoDroid! I absolutely loved my first Droid. It just kept getting slower and slower though. It got to the point where it took 5-10 seconds to do everything. Since the middle of October, I've been greatly anticipating the arrival of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. First it was supposed to arrive in beginning of November, then it was postponed till the end of November, then it was postponed till December.....
I couldn’t wait any longer. Right before Thanksgiving, I stopped by VerizonWireless to check out the Razr. I was amazed by how zippy and responsive it was. I couldn’t resist and I picked up their last Moto Razr using my New every two discount.
Now, I am torn. The Galaxy Nexus is being released this Friday. From everything I’ve read, the Nexus is going to be sweet. I'm debating whether to return the Razr for the Galaxy Nexus or not.
I love how fast everything loads up on the Razr......
I'm totally loving MotoCast. I have about 200 movies/TV shows on my home PC that I can stream directly to my Razr in HD. I'm pretty sure the Samsung doesn't have MotoCast. There's a program called Subsonic that's supposed to do the same thing but it has been a real pain in the a** to set up on my PC. MotoCast linked up immediately to my PC and is very easy to navigate on my Razr.
I love how customizable everything on the Razr is.
I'm not a big fan about not being able to change the battery on the Razr. Does anyone know if it’s possible to take the phone to a Verizon store and have them swap in a new battery if I needed to?
The specs, as far as the hardware is concerned, seems very similar between the Nexus and Razr. The Nexus does have better screen resolution. Also, the Nexus comes with equiped with Ice Cream sandwich OS. The Razr I understand will get the ICS update in January? Will the Razr be as responsive when the ICS comes out? I just want to make sure the phone I get will last the test of time for the 1-2 years that I'll be using it.
Is anyone else having the same dilemma as I am? Any Razr users thinking of (upgrading?) to a Galaxy Nexus? If so,or if not, could you give reasons why? I love my Razr, but I might love the Galaxy Nexus more. I also might be sorry I gave up the Razr for the Nexus. Aghhh, So Torn......

Im keeping my razr :) peetty sure insurance would cover battery and youd just get a replacement

Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums

breedingh8

Reaction score
This is one of those things I think only YOU can really answer for yourself. I basically did the same thing, giving in and getting a RAZR (my D1 forced me too, not working). I am totally in love with the RAZR now though and the more I read and find out about the Nexus the more I am thinking I really don't want it.

One drawback though is there is indication on Motorola's blog today that makes it sound like the RAZR will not be seeing ICS in January, but rather sometime mid-year.

For me, if the Nexus ever actually releases, and I am within the return period, I will go have a look at it, just to be sure - but I'm fairly certain I wont want to give up the RAZR.

Hopefully there will be an ics rom before then :)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I woudnt say I was upgrading to it, more like choosing it. They are more alike than different. IMO if you have a Bionic, RAZR, Rezound...the G Nex isnt a total overall upgrade. If you have a Droid 1, Droid X1....thats another story...lol. I may get one. I wont be replacing my RAZR tho. Just wanna see ICS up close and in person, see the ROM development it will have.

If you really wanna get the Nexus, get it. Sometimes its that simple...

What caught be by surprise is I finally spent some time with the Bionic the other day....and that is a nice phone. Screen isnt as bad as others have made it, or there are some really defective screens out there. I may get the Bionic too.

OP
brightside

brightside

Reaction score
Sounds like those of you that have the Razr, plan to keep it. The more I think about it, the more I want to stay with the Razr. I've gotten to love it. Going from OG MotoDroid to the Razr has been a giant leap forward for me. Don't think it's going to be as big of a leap going from Razr to Gal Nexus. I don't really NEED Ice Cream Sandwich. Im plenty happy with OS that came with the Razr. I'm just curious when ICS is released for the Razr, will the Razr's performance be as zippy as before the update? As supposed to the Gal Nexus which comes already loaded with ICS? Sorry if I sound like a noob.
I've gotten accustomed to navigating around the Razr. It's plenty fast and does everything i've asked of it. I've had no freezes. I also love the Smart Actions on the Razr. That has definately helped with conserving the battery. I'm getting 10 hours with pretty heavy usage(I can't put this thing down), which isn't bad.
When it comes down to it, I think the main reason I'm considering switching is the screen resolution is higher on the Nexus. Guess i'll just have to see the Screen on the Nexus myself when it's released on Friday (hopefully)

olc

Reaction score
No way for me.
Non-removable storage is a deal breaker.

And non-removable battery isn't?

A lithium battery lasts may 1.5-2 years, so the need to replace the battery isn't that far away. I talked to Motorola and got this: battery replacement requires sending the phone back to them and costs not less than $110 (or maybe more). Talk about a deal breaker.

tc1

Reaction score
And non-removable battery isn't?

A lithium battery lasts may 1.5-2 years, so the need to replace the battery isn't that far away. I talked to Motorola and got this: battery replacement requires sending the phone back to them and costs not less than $110 (or maybe more). Talk about a deal breaker.

Batteries last longer than that.

But even then, after 2 years people are ready for a new phone anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

tc1

Reaction score

What I would be afraid to give up would be Motorola's radios.

Learned my lesson, went from an original DROID to a Thunderbolt and regretted every no signal having min

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

bullswife98

Reaction score
Same as above poster said, Samsung phones never worked well for me personally. Seems like they get the software right but the hardware... meh, just don't care for the plasticity of it. Also at times they just quit working on me. Motorola has always proven to work. At least for me anyways.

Sent from my DROID RAZR