phone turns itself on

new2droid3

Reaction score
I'm new to Droid and just got a Droid3 in July. Not too long after I got it, it started turning itself on - sometimes right after I turn it off, sometimes a couple minutes later, sometimes during the night at some point. I took it to tech support at the local store and they reloaded it, and for a week it was fine while I was traveling. Once I got back home, however, it started it again. I thought it might have been hardware and heat-related, but it was cool last night and it did it again, 10 minutes after I'd turned it off. The last app I loaded before this started was Vz Navigator (which I have since uninstalled and the reload was done after that). Anybody got any ideas as to what's going on?

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
I'm new to Droid and just got a Droid3 in July. Not too long after I got it, it started turning itself on - sometimes right after I turn it off, sometimes a couple minutes later, sometimes during the night at some point. I took it to tech support at the local store and they reloaded it, and for a week it was fine while I was traveling. Once I got back home, however, it started it again. I thought it might have been hardware and heat-related, but it was cool last night and it did it again, 10 minutes after I'd turned it off. The last app I loaded before this started was Vz Navigator (which I have since uninstalled and the reload was done after that). Anybody got any ideas as to what's going on?

Was it plugged in when it reboots? that's really the only thing I can think of. Maybe it just grant like to be off and charging.
The only other thing I could suggest are battery pulls!

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Power the phone off ( long press of the power button and select power off) and pull the battery. Leave it out for a minute. If it reoccurs, follow the hard reset directions in the FAQ section of the forum. Do not sync any apps. Be sure you remember your Google password before you do. Run it bone stock for a while and see if the problem reoccurs. If so, take it back and demand a replacement phone. If you get no occurances, add your apps back slowly, one at a time. Give the problem a chance to occur before moving to the next application. If it does reoccur again, remove the last app and wait for awhile before moving to the others. If it keeps reoccurring anyway, keep removing the last app and waiting. If you get back to bone stock then suspect the first app and skip over it, reinstalling the second. Rinse & repeat. If you still are seeing the problem then you didn't give it long enough to reoccur at some point.

Force closes can happen and it is difficult to know what to blame. If you've only had one, I'd ignore it and pay attention to the automatic turn-on issue. They could be related, but with only one to judge from....

OP
N

new2droid3

Reaction score
Power the phone off ( long press of the power button and select power off) and pull the battery. Leave it out for a minute. If it reoccurs, follow the hard reset directions in the FAQ section of the forum. Do not sync any apps. Be sure you remember your Google password before you do. Run it bone stock for a while and see if the problem reoccurs. If so, take it back and demand a replacement phone. If you get no occurances, add your apps back slowly, one at a time. Give the problem a chance to occur before moving to the next application. If it does reoccur again, remove the last app and wait for awhile before moving to the others. If it keeps reoccurring anyway, keep removing the last app and waiting. If you get back to bone stock then suspect the first app and skip over it, reinstalling the second. Rinse & repeat. If you still are seeing the problem then you didn't give it long enough to reoccur at some point.

Force closes can happen and it is difficult to know what to blame. If you've only had one, I'd ignore it and pay attention to the automatic turn-on issue. They could be related, but with only one to judge from....

Thanks! I'm running pretty close to bone stock now, but I'll try the hard reset and keep an eye out after that. Not ever having had a smartphone before, I'm not addicted to the apps (yet)!

Freway01

Reaction score
My wife and I both have Droid 3's and both have the power up problem.

I tried doing a hard reset on my phone that wiped the phone and put it back to factory settings (note: did this after the recent OS update). After it powered up, the only thing I did was log into my Google account and setup my Gmail. Ran like this for a few days then configured a couple more email accounts. I would wait three days and if the phone stayed off each time I turned it off, I'd install applications. I first added/configured preloaded applications, one at a time, waiting three days before adding the next application. Took me a couple of weeks of doing it this way before I had all of the applications I wanted installed and working. Went a whole week without my phone powering on by its self.

Assumed (you what they say about assume) that the hard reset fixed the problem so I hard reset my wife’s phone and reinstalled everything she had installed (which isn't much). Three days went by without the phones powering themselves up, than bang, both phones started to turn themselves back one. Sometimes they'll turn back on seconds after being turned off while other times it may be minutes (once almost 15 minutes later).

The hard reset (Settings ==> Privacy ==> Factory data reset ==> selected both internal and SD storage erase) doesn't help so don’t get suckered into wasting your time.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
My wife and I both have Droid 3's and both have the power up problem.

I tried doing a hard reset on my phone that wiped the phone and put it back to factory settings (note: did this after the recent OS update). After it powered up, the only thing I did was log into my Google account and setup my Gmail. Ran like this for a few days then configured a couple more email accounts. I would wait three days and if the phone stayed off each time I turned it off, I'd install applications. I first added/configured preloaded applications, one at a time, waiting three days before adding the next application. Took me a couple of weeks of doing it this way before I had all of the applications I wanted installed and working. Went a whole week without my phone powering on by its self.

Assumed (you what they say about assume) that the hard reset fixed the problem so I hard reset my wife’s phone and reinstalled everything she had installed (which isn't much). Three days went by without the phones powering themselves up, than bang, both phones started to turn themselves back one. Sometimes they'll turn back on seconds after being turned off while other times it may be minutes (once almost 15 minutes later).

The hard reset (Settings ==> Privacy ==> Factory data reset ==> selected both internal and SD storage erase) doesn't help so don’t get suckered into wasting your time.

Curious that both phones did this at the same time.

I wouldn't call it being suckered, you took the most involved approach to a solution you could and it didn't work. Without knowing what is causing it or why, we cannot say that others wouldn't solve their problems this way. It certainly doesn't look promising though.

Is your wife using any app that you are also using?

Personally, I think you should get in touch with Moto or Verizon and see what they can do.

jeffgraper

Reaction score
This is a bug in most of the D3's and Bionics. Well documented on Moto support board.
Just have to deal with it until the next update comes out.
Mine doesn't restart if I put in in airplane mode and clear all pending notifications prior to shutdown.

Freway01

Reaction score
Hey Fr33dom, you'll be happy to know that I've contact both Motorola and Verizon about this problem and both said that this is only happening to a few customers (guess they don't search their own forums). I documented the reset process with someone at Motorola and he said they can't figure out what is causing the problem.

As for the applications both my wife and I have on are Droid 3's, that would be, Gmail, email, Maps, Facebook, Twitter, Google Talk, G+, and Skype.

REMilk

Reaction score

Let me see, Halloween is in just a few days. Ghouls and ghosts abound this time of year!

But in a word, I am sorry to say, 'No'.

OP
N

new2droid3

Reaction score
Hey Fr33dom, you'll be happy to know that I've contact both Motorola and Verizon about this problem and both said that this is only happening to a few customers (guess they don't search their own forums). I documented the reset process with someone at Motorola and he said they can't figure out what is causing the problem.

As for the applications both my wife and I have on are Droid 3's, that would be, Gmail, email, Maps, Facebook, Twitter, Google Talk, G+, and Skype.

Thanks! Glad to hear that someone has reported the problem. I ended up getting a new phone, and the same thing happened. ;) So I'm just living with it. Interestingly, the problem with both phones seems to have started once I loaded VzNavigator. I also have gmail, email, and maps loaded. My first phone had facebook and skype as well. I'll try the airplane mode thing, but my phone got stuck in it once (the first one) so I've avoided using it.

puttaround

Reaction score
I experienced this too, seems to happen the most when I forget to take it off of "Silent mode" after leaving a meeeting etc. Not sure if sound settings contributes to the problem.

milesthedog

Reaction score
Auto restart and root

Just wondering if anyone with a d3 rooted has still run into this?

H8SPVMT

Reaction score
Mine 't know.
was doing the same thing the OP said but has stopped now, on it's won so maybe a OS update fixed it, I don