Random reboots / crashing

djkevinz

Reaction score
My Droid 3 rebooted TWICE on THE WAY HOME FROM the VERIZON STORE!!! Looking thru this thread it seems that many of you came from rooted Droids (me too) and that some apps may be causing the issue... maybe SetCPU or Superuser??? I'm going to try a wipe tonight and not sync the apps... but does it not back up to your google account anymore??

trancemission

Reaction score
I did a factory reset. I wiped internal and external. I only picked the apps that I wanted back on.

It hasnt rebooted in two days. this is looking good. Like I said, Im happy about not getting all my apps back. there were alot I really didnt use anymore. Im only downloading one at a time and using it for a day before I get another one to see if theres any relation to the apps I installed.

Ill keep you guys posted

Droidrage729

Reaction score
Be careful tho I reported my reboots and was going to ignore it. I until the last day a black error screen popped up said bp dump..... looked like some weird recovery error. The anyway you have a 14 day worry free guarantee. If got a replacement only restored regular Apps left out titanium and all root Apps haven't had one issue.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

nbucko

Reaction score
Has anyone tried getting a logging app like alogcat to see what it says? I would imagine if there was some root/permissions issue or heat related problem that there would be something logged.

I was thinking about using my upgrade to go from an OG to a D3 but after reading all the problems, and the lack of root/unlocked boot loader I think I'll wait.

HaigoG

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just got my first "real" smartphone on Saturday. Went from a BB Curve 8530 to my new Droid 3. I went to LauncherPro the second I got it, since my friend with an android phone(samsung fascinate) said it was pretty much a must to have another launcher for things to be smooth.

I am not using it for anything special at all. Just facebook/email/yelp/etc, very basic stuff.
It was flawless up until last night when it really started acting up, giving me black screens when I'd try to wake it up, or screens full of noise...pulled the battery a bunch of times last night.
Then I gave up on Launcherpro and decided to try ADW and Go Launcher and see if I had any better luck, but had pretty much the same results. Go Launcher was working well for about 12 hours then this morning got so bad the screen would go black almost before the phone even turned on.

I then really gave up and did a factory reset, and am using the OEM launcher right now. in the past 7 hours it has been alright, it has rebooted twice but that is much less of a pain to me than having to remove the battery every 5 minutes.

Could my phone be defective? Or is this about what everyone is seeing? My sister also got the same phone, and also installed LP, and has only had one freeze-up so far.

Really hoping to get this straightened out soon. When it works, it does everything I want and more, but when it doesn't it is a royal pain.

aramos87

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just got my first "real" smartphone on Saturday. Went from a BB Curve 8530 to my new Droid 3. I went to LauncherPro the second I got it, since my friend with an android phone(samsung fascinate) said it was pretty much a must to have another launcher for things to be smooth.

I am not using it for anything special at all. Just facebook/email/yelp/etc, very basic stuff.
It was flawless up until last night when it really started acting up, giving me black screens when I'd try to wake it up, or screens full of noise...pulled the battery a bunch of times last night.
Then I gave up on Launcherpro and decided to try ADW and Go Launcher and see if I had any better luck, but had pretty much the same results. Go Launcher was working well for about 12 hours then this morning got so bad the screen would go black almost before the phone even turned on.

I then really gave up and did a factory reset, and am using the OEM launcher right now. in the past 7 hours it has been alright, it has rebooted twice but that is much less of a pain to me than having to remove the battery every 5 minutes.

Could my phone be defective? Or is this about what everyone is seeing? My sister also got the same phone, and also installed LP, and has only had one freeze-up so far.

Really hoping to get this straightened out soon. When it works, it does everything I want and more, but when it doesn't it is a royal pain.

It could be a defective device, but when you reset it you should unselect the restore from Google account and keep my device backed up boxes when adding your Google account then go in and select them after setup in privacy. And did you charge it fully and drain it your first use? I've read that's been helping alot of the issues. When I first got my D3 I had a few issues, but I restored all my apps coming from a rooted DX and I think that was the issue.... so try it out if it continues to act up. But after I reset it the way I described I stopped getting resets, black screens and freeze ups. And I'm using ADW Launcher EX.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

HaigoG

Reaction score
I did charge and drain the battery first time through.
I didn't read this thread and see the advice on not restoring from the google account until after I got home and had already restored it. If it continues to act up I will try that also, but I'm not sure it would matter since I just had a few basic apps like I said...facebook, yelp, moviefone, maps, and a launcher...nothing too crazy or weird... But I'll definitely try it if I reset again.

aramos87

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not sure what the difference is, all I know is when I did it all of my issues went away... and I didn't have many, just give it a few days it should get better.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

HaigoG

Reaction score
Alright last night it ran very well on the stock launcher for about 8 hours, so I figured maybe it had been cured by the factory reset and installed ADW launcher. Within a few seconds it was acting up, screen going black when the keyboard was slid out and not coming back for anything.

So I pulled the battery and would get a screen full of noise on inserting the battery...finally got it turned on again, did the factory reset again, along with deleting my sd card contents, without syncing anything to google, and the second it got to the home screen...screen full of noise again.

I pulled the battery again and now it has been running well all morning, but I think I may still take it to the verizon store sunday when I get back to school. The store here is crowded all the time and I don't want to waste even more time waiting in lines...

Many of you are successfully running non-OEM launchers right? It seems the second I install any one, everything goes nuts.

GENTANI

Reaction score
what number do i contact. my phone reboots 1-2 times per day and I haven't picked up a pattern to know why..

Restocking fee?

carbanm

Reaction score
what number do i contact. my phone reboots 1-2 times per day and I haven't picked up a pattern to know why..

Restocking fee?

call *611, once you get to the menu, push 0, when it asks what you want, say 'operator'

escalavee

Reaction score
I have had the fone since Saturday night and am having trouble with the rebooting and glitches.

When I initially setup the fone it auto installed all the backedup apps associated with my google account. (Including launcherpro which I thought could be an issue) I noticed that a few times it would reboot during use; never at the same time. Sometimes it would even reboot when it was just sitting on the table.

After digging around a little it appears that verizons first step to test things out is to have a factory rest so I did that and didn't have it auto install the apps. Seems to be running a little better with the stock launcher but it did do one thing:

I had been using the camera and had put it to sleep while the camera was the active app. After several unlocks and uses of the camera it unlocked to a funky green screen, appeared stuck then kicked to the homescreen. The camera failed to initialize until I rebooted and the funky green screen would pop up for a second on some screen changes.

Anyone seeing this?

Yes, I have. I just got my D3 on Wednesday, and on top of multiple reboots daily, I experienced the green screen thing you are talking about once when I was exiting Facebook. I had to pop the battery for it to stop.

Another thing that has been happening with mine is it will automatically switch back to the stock wallpaper (which is weird). No matter where the wallpaper came from (wallpaper app, stock android D3 wallpapers, my gallery, etc.), it will always go back to the original one that came with the phone.

And the homescreen is really laggy. I am coming from a rooted Incredible, so I am use to my Android device beiing very snappy and responsive, and I expected the D3 to be able to handle everything with the dual core processor, but I guess not. I can't wait till someone finally roots this thing!

escalavee

Reaction score
Oh, and just a little food for thought, I DID NOT use the app restore feature at all, but I backed up my apps using ES file explorer and only installed a select few (mainly PDAnet since it can no longer be found on the Android Market and I use that for my home internet). I wiped and formatted my SD card then copied the apps from my computer. I am using the stock launcher. I experience between 1-4 reboots per day.

sholmes

Reaction score
My life in the reboot club

I've had my Droid 3, Android version 2.3.4, since July 23 or 24 (can't remember off hand). My Droid was *not* rooted.

I backed up my applications using Astro and restored them to the new phone using the same application. Much like everyone else, my phone has been rebooting as well. Here are some things I noted:

It's not a full hardware reboot. Checking the phone's status, the phone uptime continues on from when I last powered the phone on. So it may be hardware related but I think it's more of a software problem.

I saw someone posted a list of application they had installed. I've gone through it and here are a list of applications I also had installed:

*Adobe AIR
*Adobe Reader
*ASTRO
*Barcode Scanner
*Chrome to Phone
*Docs
*Facebook
+Gallery
*Google Voice
*Google+
*IMDb
*LauncherPro
*LauncherPro Plus Unlocker
*Music
*Speed Test
+Terminal Emulator

Those with a * are ones I downloaded and installed or re-installed fro ASTRO. The ones with a + are apparently pre-installed.

Rather than default to factory, I decided to uninstall everything I downloaded except for K-9 Mail (as it's a giant pain in the ass to set up, but awesome once it's done). I also uninstalled all application updates. So far, no crashes. We'll see how things go.

I will also note than I had uninstalled both "Launcher Pro" and "Gingerbread Launcher free" thinking it could have been either one of those two third party launchers. This didn't stop the reboots.

Like other folks, I've had problems after taking photos, when pressing to many buttons, or just when the phone is sitting there doing nothing.

For those concerned with heating issues, this appears to be pretty common among all three Android enabled phones I've used when in car mode, it seems the GPS/Navigation eats a lot of resources causing the phone to heat up.

Anyway, thus far, no crashes since "cleaning" the phone of everything except K-9 Mail.

Sparkimus

Reaction score
Got my D3 last week and I've had zero reboots. I didn't restore from google and have been slowly adding apps that I used on my D1. I also put in my sd card from my D1 without deleting anything from it.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums