Random reboots / crashing

SitSamBry

Reaction score
So far I've had my droid 3 for 2 days now and I've had a total of 4 crashes. I have been in the middle of typing something online 3 times and on a phone call the 4th time. When it happens the phone gives the droid robot noise "droooid" and then shows the startup animation. It boots back up quickly but is incredible frustrating because its always when im in the middle of something.

Anyone else experience this issue yet? I hate to have this be the first phone I need to replace especially when its not even out yet in stores so most likely no walking into verizon.

Raptor007

Reaction score
Not yet, I have actually have used it for an 80 minute phone call and had no call drop at all. My outgoing Droid Charge on the same route dropped the call three times yesterday. As I load up apps and do more I will report back.

JVSEDI

Reaction score
I've had mine since yesterday and have not had any problems or rebooting yet (hopefully I won't either). Only thing I had happen was when I was in the Gallery I kept getting text messages coming in and then the Gallery App forced closed....but that was it. I would call VZW and get it replaced right away because there must be something wrong with it....unfortunately there are a few lemons in every bunch. I had that problem with my Voyager when I first got it and had it replaced 4 times before I got one that was good and lasted me the remainder of my contract. You paid enough for the phone and for the service you deserve a "perfect" working phone.

General Tso

Reaction score
Had to pull the battery on mine once so far. When the screen was transitioning as the keyboard slid in, it froze. If any more issues, iPhone it is. I came from a Thunderbolt. I've about had it with android.

CatInTheHat422

Reaction score
I've had similar issues with mine. Rebooted by itself 4 times. Once was while texting, one was while checking voicemail, another was during rotation, and the last was when downloading an app....BUT, I believe I have a faulty phone. I cant keep a consistent 3g signal or call signal, extremely sporadic. Called Verizon and the tech said the phone was probably faulty so I'm getting a replacement Monday.

neilrl79

Reaction score
No reboots for me at all, running perfect, aside from the quick battery drain but I suspect that'll get better as time goes on.

General Tso

Reaction score
I really like the keyboard, but the touchscreen seems laggy.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Droid1610

Reaction score
I have had my phone reboot 1 time so far and it was when I slid the kb open and then shut it quickly and it just went to a black screeen and the droid eye could be seen in the background very dim almost as if the screen lights were burned out and then all of a sudden it came up bright and finished the reboot and its been fine. I also had to pull the battery once because it froze with the words setting live wallpaper there was nothing and I even waited to see if it would correct itself but it didn't so I pulled the battery and then rebooted it and the live wallpaper was there working fine. To avoid anymore freezing issues I went back to a stock wallpaper...

If it does anymore reboots or crashes I will call vz and get a replacment shipped out or wait till Thursday and get a swap out at my local store. There is no excuse for this to be happening on a new device.

My wifes Droid 3 has needed one battery pull when her phone froze to a black screen while she was switching between the camera and the picture she just took. But no other issues with hers.

General Tso

Reaction score
Why does it reset the home when the camera is cycled off? That is causing major lag. As I said before, I've about had it with android. Iphone is getting more tempting. I just don't know what to do. I just want a device that works like it claims to.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

OP
S

SitSamBry

Reaction score
So after having several more random reboots, I call tech support and they walked me through wiping the device and restarting from factory install. They had me go through the systems config menu, everything took about 1 hour to fully get back up again. This time I did not sync my google account with the associated apps. Instead I just signed in with my google acount and then downloaded one by one the apps I wanted from my OG droid. The tech (an myself) think that one of the apps that migrated over may have caused the issue. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the issue since I had something like 60 apps automatically download when I first started the phone because they were all associated with my OG droid google account. Either way I'm still gonna jump on sending this in for a replacement at the first sign of any problem again.

PS the tech guy said if you do need to get your phone replaced, contact the place you got the phone directly (ie verizon wireless online) not tech support, because tech support is instructed to replace phones with a "cleaner" phone (aka a refurb) rather then a brand new one you deserve (his words not mine, pretty honest tech guy).

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I've about had it with android. Iphone is getting more tempting.

Ugh, iTunes. I like being able to change my own battery, use a physical keyboard, and do the things that Apple outlaws, like long-pressing a link and downloading a file. Apple is fine for some people, but I've tasted freedom, or something close to it.

Droid1610

Reaction score
So my wifes D3 did another weird thing when she was on her way home last night, while using gps on the way home from a friends house she got almost home and she looked down when she saw the screen flash and noticed that the phone wash having a seizure meaning the phone screen was flashing on and off rapidly for about 20 seconds once it stopped the gps was still running fine and she went in and closed the gps. When she got inside the phone was plugged in to charge and she has not had anymore issues today.

I'm gonna hang onto the phones and give them a few more days to see how they act but if there are anymore issues I'm going to the store when the phones hit the retail stores and see if they can swap them out for me.

Tuaidh

Reaction score
From the first hour of using my Droid3, I experienced constant reboots and power issues. The phone would reboot itself multiple times in a row without me touching it. And several times the phone was completely non-responsive until after a battery pull. I talked to VZW tech support a couple times and they walked me thru a factory reboot, and the problem was still happening, so they are sending me a replacement.
In the meantime, after 2 days of constant frustration, I figured out the problem only happened when the screen turned off. So while I wait for my replacement, I can use this one because I set the Screen Timeout to Never, and just leave it on the charger most of the day.
Hopefully, the problem doesn't happen with the new replacement. Perhaps, it is related to some previously installed app that is getting installed after the Google setup.

Anyone else experiencing a similar issue?

jzd5032

Reaction score
So after having several more random reboots, I call tech support and they walked me through wiping the device and restarting from factory install. They had me go through the systems config menu, everything took about 1 hour to fully get back up again. This time I did not sync my google account with the associated apps. Instead I just signed in with my google acount and then downloaded one by one the apps I wanted from my OG droid. The tech (an myself) think that one of the apps that migrated over may have caused the issue. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the issue since I had something like 60 apps automatically download when I first started the phone because they were all associated with my OG droid google account. Either way I'm still gonna jump on sending this in for a replacement at the first sign of any problem again.

PS the tech guy said if you do need to get your phone replaced, contact the place you got the phone directly (ie verizon wireless online) not tech support, because tech support is instructed to replace phones with a "cleaner" phone (aka a refurb) rather then a brand new one you deserve (his words not mine, pretty honest tech guy).

The droid 3 just came out. there is no such thing as a refurbished droid 3 at the moment. It was released 2 days ago, so its almost impossible for there to be even a single refurbished one out there.

On another note: If anyone is having cell standby issues (high usage) and 3g/1x issues, im almost 100% sure its an issue that would occur on most, if not all droid 3's at the moment. It depends on location as well. If you go into battery usage, cell standby is most probably on top of the list. On most androids, Display, phone idle, voice calls, etc, are on top of that list. It sounds like a baseband issue. This would affect your phones battery life drastically.