Random reboots / crashing

OP
S

SitSamBry

Reaction score
Im well aware there are not going to be any refurbs at the moment, I think the tech rep was just stating its good procedure for any phone.

So far since my full system reset I have had no random reboot problems. I have noticed this phone doesn't connect as easily to 3g signals as my OG did but im trying to figure out if its an antenna location issue where im covering it while holding the phone (ie iphone 4 issue).

Other then that still loving it and the keyboard has become more natural for me. Played some games too that my OG would've just crashed out of.

Opiemitsu

Reaction score
So after having several more random reboots, I call tech support and they walked me through wiping the device and restarting from factory install. They had me go through the systems config menu, everything took about 1 hour to fully get back up again. This time I did not sync my google account with the associated apps. Instead I just signed in with my google acount and then downloaded one by one the apps I wanted from my OG droid. The tech (an myself) think that one of the apps that migrated over may have caused the issue. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the issue since I had something like 60 apps automatically download when I first started the phone because they were all associated with my OG droid google account. Either way I'm still gonna jump on sending this in for a replacement at the first sign of any problem again.

PS the tech guy said if you do need to get your phone replaced, contact the place you got the phone directly (ie verizon wireless online) not tech support, because tech support is instructed to replace phones with a "cleaner" phone (aka a refurb) rather then a brand new one you deserve (his words not mine, pretty honest tech guy).

The droid 3 just came out. there is no such thing as a refurbished droid 3 at the moment. It was released 2 days ago, so its almost impossible for there to be even a single refurbished one out there.

On another note: If anyone is having cell standby issues (high usage) and 3g/1x issues, im almost 100% sure its an issue that would occur on most, if not all droid 3's at the moment. It depends on location as well. If you go into battery usage, cell standby is most probably on top of the list. On most androids, Display, phone idle, voice calls, etc, are on top of that list. It sounds like a baseband issue. This would affect your phones battery life drastically.

+1 on the baseband. I agree that it probably needs fixed and hope they get to fixing it soon. Right now it makes me wish I'd waited for an LTE device if I'm going to have the same battery issues. At least I'd have blazing fast downloads for compensation.

Opiemitsu

Reaction score
Im well aware there are not going to be any refurbs at the moment, I think the tech rep was just stating its good procedure for any phone.

So far since my full system reset I have had no random reboot problems. I have noticed this phone doesn't connect as easily to 3g signals as my OG did but im trying to figure out if its an antenna location issue where im covering it while holding the phone (ie iphone 4 issue).

Other then that still loving it and the keyboard has become more natural for me. Played some games too that my OG would've just crashed out of.

The problem being of course is that anytime I've every tried to get a replacement at a store, I've been told I had to call tech support...

jerrt

Reaction score
I have had the fone since Saturday night and am having trouble with the rebooting and glitches.

When I initially setup the fone it auto installed all the backedup apps associated with my google account. (Including launcherpro which I thought could be an issue) I noticed that a few times it would reboot during use; never at the same time. Sometimes it would even reboot when it was just sitting on the table.

After digging around a little it appears that verizons first step to test things out is to have a factory rest so I did that and didn't have it auto install the apps. Seems to be running a little better with the stock launcher but it did do one thing:

I had been using the camera and had put it to sleep while the camera was the active app. After several unlocks and uses of the camera it unlocked to a funky green screen, appeared stuck then kicked to the homescreen. The camera failed to initialize until I rebooted and the funky green screen would pop up for a second on some screen changes.

Anyone seeing this?

Rouxdy

Reaction score
Got mine Monday, no reboots until today, and I've had three in the last hour or so..

jerrt

Reaction score
Well, anyone that is posting about reboots, post which launcher you are using.

After a day and a half after the restart and not using launcher pro I have had no reboots. I am guess it has something to do with this fone being 2.3.4

I had previously reported about the camera crashing and showing a green screen and killing the camera completely untill reboot. Thinking about starting a new thread about it specifically. From what I have found out: if I leave the camera/camcorder app active when I lock the screen after several cycles, I will unlock the screen and it is green and if I try to restart the camera it says that it can not initialize. Very strange.

Opiemitsu

Reaction score
Well, anyone that is posting about reboots, post which launcher you are using.

After a day and a half after the restart and not using launcher pro I have had no reboots. I am guess it has something to do with this fone being 2.3.4

I had previously reported about the camera crashing and showing a green screen and killing the camera completely untill reboot. Thinking about starting a new thread about it specifically. From what I have found out: if I leave the camera/camcorder app active when I lock the screen after several cycles, I will unlock the screen and it is green and if I try to restart the camera it says that it can not initialize. Very strange.

I'm using the stock launcher at the moment and Launcher Pro isn't even installed. I've had no reboots today (that I'm aware of) but at least 3 yesterday at different times and different apps, both stock and 3rd party. This seems to be a common trend with new phones. Lets hope we don't have to wait as long as Thunderbolt users for a fix. I mean really, my OD running CM7 was more stable and I was running nightly builds.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I had since receiving the phone on 7/9 two reboots. One running the stock launcher, the second while running Launcher Pro. I have no series of events to note as to when/why those occurred.

Otherwise...the phone has been on since it arrived (I never turn my phone off).

Johnnyb

Reaction score
I have a reboot about once every two hours. I'm running the stock launcher (although LPP was installed).

I've contacted support, they said they hadn't heard about this yet at Verizon so they would just send me a new phone. It arrives tomorrow.

militant

Reaction score
No random reboots, crashes, or unusual activity to report. Had the phone 30 hours, about 20 hours on motoblur, and the last 10 on launcher pro. Battery on the other hand, that's a different story.

jerrt

Reaction score
No random reboots, crashes, or unusual activity to report. Had the phone 30 hours, about 20 hours on motoblur, and the last 10 on launcher pro. Battery on the other hand, that's a different story.

Yeah, the battery is another indeed. Are you using a live wallpaper? Might look into the extended battery I think I saw something about.

I am going to try a clean, from market, install of launcher pro and report back

Johnnyb

Reaction score
I think it might have something to do with the applications that were/are sync'd to my acccount. I came from a rooted DX and many of my applications are for a rooted platform. I'm going to try again with the new phone today but if it happens again I'll factory reset from recovery and not sync my applications.

I'll report back here what I find.

jerrt

Reaction score
I think it might have something to do with the applications that were/are sync'd to my acccount. I came from a rooted DX and many of my applications are for a rooted platform. I'm going to try again with the new phone today but if it happens again I'll factory reset from recovery and not sync my applications.

I'll report back here what I find.

I am starting to think the same way. Now I didn't think the sync would work with rooted/ side loaded apps. I don't remember my sync including any of my rooted apps.

I have been running launcher pro plus since last night and haven't had a reboot since the factory reset. I have installed alll but root required apps so unless it was one of those specifically I am thinking the app sync and install just doesn't always load right.

Johnnyb

Reaction score
Okay, I got my replacement phone today. I enabled the sync feature and before it even got done syncing I began to get reboots. I let it go for two hours, had three reboots total. I decided to test my theory (I guess not "my" theory as the OP stated it earlier). I factory reset my device from recovery (power-X then volume rocker +/- quickly) and when I entered my Google credentials this time I choose NOT to sync my device. That was four hours ago and not a single reboot since.