Random reboots / crashing

jerrt

Reaction score
Its beginning to look official, the app sync is causing the bulk of the reboots. you will just have to manual install apps on a clean reboot.

jerrt

Reaction score
I finally had had my d3 reboot again on me. it rebooted while my morning alarm was going off. very weird. and I didn't hear it make noise other than the vibrating. i went to snooze it and it restart the main level software. not prompting me to return yet, but still getting added to the list

dazoe

Reaction score
My first D3 (had for 2 days) didn't do any rebooting. My second on it's second day started rebooting that was yesterday. Since then total of 4 reboots 2 of them almost back to back. I did NOT use the app sync on the 1st, but DID on the second. I have a Third replacement on the way I will enable the app sync on setup to confirm that is what causes it. If it starts to reboot I will do a Factory Restore/wipe and try with out.

militant

Reaction score
I did NOT app sync, and I have had about 4-5 reboots in a week. I notice most of them have come while at the home screen, either opening an app, or performing a double click (I.e. you click something with your finger, but think you missed, but it's really just a lag hiccup, so you click it again fast, and the 2nd tap is what seems to cause the freeze.) I noticed that if I can catch it fast enough, if I can lock the screen, then unlock it, I can advert the reboot, but if I'm too slow, I'll end up seeing the dual core screen.

OP
S

SitSamBry

Reaction score
It looks like there could be multiple reasons for the reboots people are having but i have to agree with jerrt that setting up the app sync when starting up the phone for the first time seems to cause some of the issues. Going back to when I originally posted this thread, I have had no reboots except for today (hence why I am back here again). I have been using the car mount with the gel case (both 1st party) and have been enjoying the fact they work so nicely together. But today after pulling my phone off the mount I noticed it was running hot and I hadn't even ran a single app during my drive, I was only using it to top off my charge. After getting to my desk at work I heard the infamous "droid" and low and behold my phone rebooted again. It could just be isolated but after coming from having too many reboots in my first few days, it still raised concern. I still am using the same phone, no replacement yet. I'll wait it out and report if I get anymore reboots.

chadwick108

Reaction score
I have just now today had my droid 3 two full days and have had it reboot on me 4 or 5 times on different occasions. Have not been able to put my finger on as to what has been causing these issues at this time. I would like to see what others find so hopefully issue can be resolved.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
As Sitsam has pointed out, it could be a heat problem. I am guessing that more of you with reboots may have noticed whether the phone (battery) is indeed hot at the point of reboot, but the phone should have a thermal point at which it will reboot. The D1 certainly does.

Craig

jetnc

Reaction score
So my wifes D3 did another weird thing when she was on her way home last night, while using gps on the way home from a friends house she got almost home and she looked down when she saw the screen flash and noticed that the phone wash having a seizure meaning the phone screen was flashing on and off rapidly for about 20 seconds once it stopped the gps was still running fine and she went in and closed the gps. When she got inside the phone was plugged in to charge and she has not had anymore issues today.

I'm gonna hang onto the phones and give them a few more days to see how they act but if there are anymore issues I'm going to the store when the phones hit the retail stores and see if they can swap them out for me.
Ive had my D3 since Thursday. Sat night it locked up on me as i was going to bed. I had put it in the dock only to forget that i had not silenced incoming calls. When i pulled it off the dock it froze. I had to pull the battery.

Just 30 minutes ago i had the same gps thing as above. The screen was rapidly going from open to close by itself. After 20 seconds it stopped.

Last, I just noticed I've been updated to 2.3.4. I know initially I was at 2.3.3 but I have no idea when it upgraded

neilrl79

Reaction score
So my wifes D3 did another weird thing when she was on her way home last night, while using gps on the way home from a friends house she got almost home and she looked down when she saw the screen flash and noticed that the phone wash having a seizure meaning the phone screen was flashing on and off rapidly for about 20 seconds once it stopped the gps was still running fine and she went in and closed the gps. When she got inside the phone was plugged in to charge and she has not had anymore issues today.

I'm gonna hang onto the phones and give them a few more days to see how they act but if there are anymore issues I'm going to the store when the phones hit the retail stores and see if they can swap them out for me.
Ive had my D3 since Thursday. Sat night it locked up on me as i was going to bed. I had put it in the dock only to forget that i had not silenced incoming calls. When i pulled it off the dock it froze. I had to pull the battery.

Just 30 minutes ago i had the same gps thing as above. The screen was rapidly going from open to close by itself. After 20 seconds it stopped.

Last, I just noticed I've been updated to 2.3.4. I know initially I was at 2.3.3 but I have no idea when it upgraded

Mine was on 2.3.4 out of the box.

mrcastillo

Reaction score
if it was 2.3.3 i think it could have been rooted but now its just like the rest of us

cerps

Reaction score
Based on my wife's hour old D3 I think I can debunk a couple of the theories. I specifically didn't autosync her apps from the x2 we exchanged to get the D3. It also isn't just a heat issue. There was no warmth to it when it rebooted on me. I was using the onscreen keyboard (habit from my Atrix) logging her in to restore her SMS using smsbackup. I didn't even have her account all the way input and it rebooted. I did notice that I didn't have the keyboard clicked shut. It was shut, but not fully. Not sure if it is a keyboard confusion thing when it's partially open and you use the onscreen keyboard. Hopefully it doesn't happen to her at all otherwise I am going to hear it since I told her to get the X2 temporarily to lock in unlimited data until the D3 was available. Just throwing my two cents and info into the fire.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I've had mine for 4 days now. Only time its rebooted is when I rebooted after draining the battery. I've used the camera, made a few calls, am on it all the time. Not one reboot.
Also I believe it shipped with 2.3.4 if it updated you would have known.
Now I'm not saying there's not an issue here or maybe I am just lucky, as I autosynced my apps when I got it.

Are these all preorder phones?? As bought before the 14th??

end of line...

jetnc

Reaction score
Bought on the 14th at a store. I went in to return a screen protector for my Droid, and ended up getting a D3 :)

I know it was 2.3.3 because I was curious and checked.

The only real problem I have is the call volume, I wish I could turn it up. My D1 sucked because I had complaints people couldn't hear ME. Now I can't hear them..... anyone know of a good free app to increase in call volume?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
As Sitsam has pointed out, it could be a heat problem. I am guessing that more of you with reboots may have noticed whether the phone (battery) is indeed hot at the point of reboot, but the phone should have a thermal point at which it will reboot. The D1 certainly does.

Craig

I don't know if it's a heat problem. Mine has, on 4 or 5 occasions, rebooted while it was just sitting there not being used. It hadn't been used for awhile, and it was completely cool.

The reboots are happening 3 times a day or so for me, all at seemingly random times.

darkmatter

Reaction score
I was playing with the camera. Clicked on that little hand icon, took a pic, then tried to see that pic by touching it. I had to do a battery pull. It froze for a good min or two, rebooted, then bootloop. After about five mins of watching it boot, I pulled the battery.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk